December 11, 2018, 03:30:54 PM

Author Topic: [News]The Marco Silva effect  (Read 14008 times)

October 08, 2018, 04:52:20 PM
Reply #315

sam of the south

That is a given.

Or an early sending off, like when Rodwell breathed on Suarez right in front of the ref 😳
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

October 08, 2018, 11:25:00 PM
Reply #316

D15TIN

Wish we were playing Liverpool now; their forwards are struggling through a mini goal drought. You know by the time we roll around, they will be banging them in for fun again, and Gueye, Richarlison and Bernard will all pick up injuries in the week leading up to the game.
we always get injuries in the build up - coleman has missed so many derbies over the time hes been here, no doubt one of our current front 3 will get a knock

October 08, 2018, 11:26:18 PM
Reply #317

D15TIN

If im not mistaken we play Liverpool the same week as their game at PSG? Could be wrong

October 22, 2018, 09:48:46 PM
Reply #318

Bluedylan

Time to start giving him a bit of credit?

Massive improvements to Michael Keane's game. Much better output from Gylfi. Using subs effectively. Kept Lookman when many wanted him sold. Not conceding from corners anymore. Has anyone mentioned zonal marking in the last few weeks? Blended a whole raft of new players into the squad very well. Built what looks like a very strong team spirit, where the players are genuinely enjoying each other's success. Three league wins on the bounce, with two clean sheets.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 22, 2018, 10:01:07 PM
Reply #319

Paddockoldie

It's early days but the days are getting better by the day. You can see the defence getting the zonal marking now and we're better balanced. I'm happy right now..

October 22, 2018, 10:03:52 PM
Reply #320

Gary1878

You would have to give Silva's start a 7/10. It has been very promising, with some topsy turvy results, but we are coming good.

The home form is something that he has to rectify, which is maybe to do with the personnel he starts with, but the away form has been tremendous, going out to win every game.

Bournemouth and Wolves away don't look like bad results considering where they are in the table, and Leicester away was the performance of the season for me so far.

October 22, 2018, 10:07:46 PM
Reply #321

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Well winning the last 2 homegames with a combined score of 5-0 seems to be OK with me

October 22, 2018, 10:58:10 PM
Reply #322

gizzblue

We sat in their half for a good while before the goals adding pressure on pressure after the penalty save .

Havnt seen us do that at home for ages,  looking like we were only going to win .

Loving the entire ethic ,hard work closing fast attacking seems to suit us for now ...and using his subs perfectly puts Marco street's ahead of our last three managers for me.
Born not made a blue .

October 22, 2018, 11:51:23 PM
Reply #323

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Lots to like, lots to like.

Taken to the high, intense press quite well. However, when it gets beaten we are extraordinarily open, and we are still giving big chances up.

We are still giving chances at set pieces tbh. Pretty sure palace missed two sitters and hit the bar? Might be mixing it up tho.

Individual players - Keane, Zouma, Gana, Pickford, Bernard, Richarlison, Digne - successes mounting for silva and brands. Very pleasing how well the new signings are improving the side.

Overall out style I think you could probably liken to just ultra high tempo charge for the whole game, and if we need to win it throw strikers on and overload the box with Gylfi dropping out the way.

Has positives and negatives, but it is a style Iíll say that, and weíre giving ourselves a punching chance in every game. I do fear a really bad bumming is on the way, potentially old Trafford if pogba passes through our press, but we might possibly catch them cold.

After United we can start talking stylistic issues, squad issues, improved performances vs getting the rub of the green (creating chances and limiting opp chances vs Gylfi putting it in the top bin) and talking next steps and even expectations.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 23, 2018, 03:03:01 AM
Reply #324

Bluedylan

Lots to like, lots to like.

Nice to see some positivity.

Taken to the high, intense press quite well. However, when it gets beaten we are extraordinarily open, and we are still giving big chances up.

You pretty much can't stop teams making chances against you. Look at Huddersfield v Liverpool, Leicester tonight v Arsenal. I'm not sure what you're expecting us to do? Never concede any quality chances? Almost every team in the league has weapons to score against anyone.

We are still giving chances at set pieces tbh. Pretty sure palace missed two sitters and hit the bar? Might be mixing it up tho.

The Tomkins header wasn't a sitter, and was from open play. Again, you can minimise danger, but you just can't stop tall sides from winning headers in your box. Doesn't matter who you are.

Individual players - Keane, Zouma, Gana, Pickford, Bernard, Richarlison, Digne - successes mounting for silva and brands. Very pleasing how well the new signings are improving the side.

Agreed.

Overall out style I think you could probably liken to just ultra high tempo charge for the whole game, and if we need to win it throw strikers on and overload the box with Gylfi dropping out the way.

Completely disagree (certainly yesterday). There was a lot of patient build up, moving it side to side, trying to overload in wide areas, trying to thread clever little passes.

Has positives and negatives, but it is a style I’ll say that, and we’re giving ourselves a punching chance in every game. I do fear a really bad bumming is on the way, potentially old Trafford if pogba passes through our press, but we might possibly catch them cold.

Not sure I agree. We set-up differently away from home, with a lower block, and pace on the break. We'll aim to play the way we played vs Arsenal against Utd. Need to take our chances, unlike that game.

After United we can start talking stylistic issues, squad issues, improved performances vs getting the rub of the green (creating chances and limiting opp chances vs Gylfi putting it in the top bin) and talking next steps and even expectations.

Fair enough. I think we can talk about all of that now personally.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 23, 2018, 03:11:53 AM
Reply #325

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
You pretty much can't stop teams making chances against you. Look at Huddersfield v Liverpool, Leicester tonight v Arsenal. I'm not sure what you're expecting us to do? Never concede any quality chances? Almost every team in the league has weapons to score against anyone.

Well yeah but some teams allow more than others, right? Even within teams that aggressively press.

The Tomkins header wasn't a sitter, and was from open play. Again, you can minimise danger, but you just can't stop tall sides from winning headers in your box. Doesn't matter who you are.

Fair. I mean I donít think itís a case of thereís nothing you can do about it at all, but yeah. Ball into the box is ball into the box I suppose.

Completely disagree (certainly yesterday). There was a lot of patient build up, moving it side to side, trying to overload in wide areas, trying to thread clever little passes.

Yes especially against deep block sides we end up camped inside their half at times and we have become better at sweeping from side to side. Definitely something silva wants them to do.

Donít think there was many neat little moves really imo. Plenty that didnít come off but not a great deal that looked like getting in behind. Arguably a big issue of this side / tactic is that lightning breaks donít work so whaddye do?

Not sure I agree. We set-up differently away from home, with a lower block, and pace on the break. We'll aim to play the way we played vs Arsenal against Utd. Need to take our chances, unlike that game.

Agree there I suppose but thereís an underlying franeticness that I think comes across in what Iím saying.

Fair enough. I think we can talk about all of that now personally.

Oh right, itís just I was catching all sorts for saying we should start to judge him after ~10 league games a few weeks ago. Seemed sensible to me at the time but I guess we hadnít won three on the spin at that point.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 23, 2018, 03:54:41 PM
Reply #326

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not one to go overboard either way but I'm definitely feeling more positive about the future. Like Silva, you can clearly see what he's trying to do, the players seem happy. There are going to be some bumps on the road but we've got to back him.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

October 23, 2018, 03:55:33 PM
Reply #327

Jamokachi

We're winning things with him in charge.

October 23, 2018, 04:24:36 PM
Reply #328

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
We've played 11 competitive fixtures under him so it's probably fair to start looking for patterns.
but with injuries, red cards in the earlier games and stupid international breaks i think it may still be too early.

I agree with the general gist of @brap2 . I think, fundamentally, we have no plan B other than throwing the kitchen sink at them.
It will get found out, and as predicted by people on here, we will get a good fucking pasting every now and again.

That is mitigated by the fact we have sufficient attacking threat to make most teams shit themselves and not venture too far out for long periods.
I'm also personally ok with it because i'd like the players to become really good at plan A before we start work on a plan B. It can cause confusion and it's a very tough to learn 2 different tactics simultaneously - it can cause momentary hesitation in circumstances you really dont want doubt.

October 23, 2018, 05:09:47 PM
Reply #329

Lxxx

I like the fact we're identifying players who clearly have quality but have maybe lost their way and need a fresh platform, like Digne, Zouma, Gomes and hopefully Mina. Seems a million miles away from the previous strategy and we're now getting players in of a good age.

Clearly Brands will have a large part to play in this too as well as Silva but crafting together a side and a style knowing we can go to OT next week with a punchers chance is refreshing, for once. Of course we might get a hiding but I'm confident we'll actually create some chances this time round and an early goal might get them wobbling if nothing else.