December 11, 2018, 05:46:46 AM

Author Topic: [News]The Marco Silva effect  (Read 14002 times)

October 06, 2018, 03:36:44 AM
Reply #195

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Some great signings and fair play to Mosh and Brands as well, it was a great window the last 1, improved the squad no doubt, we should be seeing some improvement inside 3 years though as the bar has been set a touch low.

You wonít find one person that doesnít expect results inside 3 seasons.

But now weíre talking about 7 games in. It shouldnít be anything other than being interested in how things are developing.

October 06, 2018, 03:38:52 AM
Reply #196

Waltzer

If West Ham lose tonight, that's 5 out of 8 games.

Genuinely bizarre comparison.

Watford were like this last season (who was there then...?) but ended up where they have nearly every season that they've been back up.
West ham was not necessarily In relation to results, more the style and tempo of games and how they seem to be adapting to what Pelegrini wants,  we seem as lethargic as always and making the same mistakes

October 06, 2018, 03:42:17 AM
Reply #197

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
West ham was not necessarily In relation to results, more the style and tempo of games and how they seem to be adapting to what Pelegrini wants,  we seem as lethargic as always and making the same mistakes

Surely thatís only because youíre not bothered about West Ham and therefore the losses donít impact your emotional thoughts

Thereís no way that they play at full pelt in every game and still lose 5/8 (and without awful finishing wouldnít have beaten us and we were rubbish) or at least without being absolutely terrible in other areas.

Yes we were sluggish vs Fulham in the first half but we certainly werenít in the second.

October 06, 2018, 03:45:40 AM
Reply #198

Mayor Farnum

Three years is a reasonable amount of time and as long as there are signs of progress we should all be prepared to give continued support. But there are other factors, if Moshiri continues to invest so heavily in the transfer market we have a reasonable expectation to see a marked improvement on the results over the past ten years were there has been little real investment.
We can't just put judgement on hold for three years.
Also, it's one thing calmly putting over a message of patience on a Friday night on the internet or tutting at your favourite stream on Saturday afternoon; but judging by Evertonians reaction to a couple of sideways passes on Tuesday night they won't be waiting for three years.

October 06, 2018, 04:44:00 AM
Reply #199

Martip

You wonít find one person that doesnít expect results inside 3 seasons.

But now weíre talking about 7 games in. It shouldnít be anything other than being interested in how things are developing.
I don't think we can discount the cup games and having been dumped out early again in addition to the up and down performances in the league. This has not helped matters as Marco got it wrong.

Of course everyone is happy with the win against Fulham but let's not forget they could have easily been ahead by a couple goals prior to us waking up.

Imo 3 years is unrealistic to expect any signs of sustained improvement all things considered.

October 06, 2018, 05:03:39 AM
Reply #200

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think we can discount the cup games and having been dumped out early again in addition to the up and down performances in the league. This has not helped matters as Marco got it wrong.

Of course everyone is happy with the win against Fulham but let's not forget they could have easily been ahead by a couple goals prior to us waking up.

Imo 3 years is unrealistic to expect any signs of sustained improvement all things considered.

Ok 9 games in.

Point is itís still very early to be really moaning about things.

October 06, 2018, 05:08:41 AM
Reply #201

Martip

Ok 9 games in.

Don't disagree to a certain extent but never want it to be acceptable that we lose to shit prem teams at home and/or go out of cups too easily.

Silva still has my backing but what we 've seen so far isn't good enough.

October 06, 2018, 06:41:20 AM
Reply #202

eyesalwaysblue

Ok 9 games in.

I'd say on that premise Big Sam should have been afforded the same patience and courtesy instead of him being blamed for all that had gone before? See some names on here calling out others for doubting Silva when they gave no slack to a manager who actually got us out of the shit, and blamed him for everything from famine to the price of fish..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 06, 2018, 07:47:13 AM
Reply #203

Ramjam

I'd say on that premise Big Sam should have been afforded the same patience and courtesy instead of him being blamed for all that had gone before? See some names on here calling out others for doubting Silva when they gave no slack to a manager who actually got us out of the shit, and blamed him for everything from famine to the price of fish..
So were you happy with Sams footballing philosophy?
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 06, 2018, 10:14:51 AM
Reply #204

eyesalwaysblue

So were you happy with Sams footballing philosophy?
No not at all' hated the fact it came to someone like him being needed, would have prefered that idiot Koeman was off hired earlier and would have loved Unsworth to have worked out, Sam just did what Sam does and it was naive to think he would be any different for us.   Some of the things he was blamed for were bizarre though, like buying the dog and hate it for being a dog.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 06, 2018, 12:32:34 PM
Reply #205

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No not at all' hated the fact it came to someone like him being needed, would have prefered that idiot Koeman was off hired earlier and would have loved Unsworth to have worked out, Sam just did what Sam does and it was naive to think he would be any different for us.   Some of the things he was blamed for were bizarre though, like buying the dog and hate it for being a dog.

SA was different as be a) had a long history of not even attempting to play the sort of football that most fans seem to want; and b) given his age and career wasnít going to be more than a stop gap.

(Thatís without getting to c) that lots of people didnít like him personally)

October 06, 2018, 12:39:20 PM
Reply #206

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Don't disagree to a certain extent but never want it to be acceptable that we lose to shit prem teams at home and/or go out of cups too easily.

Silva still has my backing but what we 've seen so far isn't good enough.

No oneís saying that itís acceptable.

But equally those results have been a factor in every season for a long time.

Thereís not a tap to turn off and on, you have to work at things.

So yes, you can go into relative (over what youíd hope would be at least 3-4 years of being decent/ good/ great etc.) minutiae of this bit of this game hasnít been good.

But I think those sorts of statements do indicate a lack of patience or support for the manager (personally, not suggesting the team/ club) subconsciously or not, as itís not allowing for circumstance and is too black and white.

October 06, 2018, 02:15:08 PM
Reply #207

Martip

SA was different as be a) had a long history of not even attempting to play the sort of football that most fans seem to want; and b) given his age and career wasnít going to be more than a stop gap.

(Thatís without getting to c) that lots of people didnít like him personally)
Really did not like sa but we cannot forget the pile of shit he took over when coming in.

We were awful, losing to bank managers and road sweepers in the europa and teams were literally walking through us as we had no defence.

I would argue that sa did the only thing he could given what was at his disposal and did it very well when you look at position and results pre his arrival and the need for points.

If we were being fair he probably did earn a season to see if he could change things around although I personally am glad he didn't get it.

October 06, 2018, 02:30:09 PM
Reply #208

Bluedylan

Really did not like sa but we cannot forget the pile of shit he took over when coming in.

We were awful, losing to bank managers and road sweepers in the europa and teams were literally walking through us as we had no defence.

I would argue that sa did the only thing he could given what was at his disposal and did it very well when you look at position and results pre his arrival and the need for points.

If we were being fair he probably did earn a season to see if he could change things around although I personally am glad he didn't get it.

I think you wanted Allardyce to stay. Just take ownership of your opinion, rather than repeatedly saying he should've stayed, but then saying you didn't want him to (very unconvincingly).
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 06, 2018, 04:31:46 PM
Reply #209

Jamokachi

With all due respect; fuck off.