October 18, 2018, 06:50:40 PM

Author Topic: Which player in his absolute hey day?  (Read 2404 times)

September 15, 2018, 05:39:46 PM
Reply #45

Jacko4468

Good post although it seems you can't count to one ,until I read  Landon Donovan . 
Can’t believe he picked Jennings and Martyn in front of southall, I can understand Jennings and Martyn was an excellent keeper but he was no Neville southall
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:41:43 PM by Jacko4468 »

September 15, 2018, 06:08:27 PM
Reply #46

BlueForYou

Oh dear!

Read the subject matter

Jennings and Martyn in front of Nev and Westy - as if!
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 16, 2018, 03:32:51 AM
Reply #47

Waltzer

There was a debate about Gazza on the radio today and the argument put forward was Gazza career was basically 2 years.  Before the world cup and shortly after,  he messed up his knee and was never the same. People remember his goal against Scotland,  as it was great,  but was he really all that? He did it in Scotland when it was a 2 horse race and the rest were walk overs. I'd rather have Kanchelskis  any day of the week over Gazza

September 16, 2018, 03:36:40 AM
Reply #48

eugene

There was a debate about Gazza on the radio today and the argument put forward was Gazza career was basically 2 years.  Before the world cup and shortly after,  he messed up his knee and was never the same. People remember his goal against Scotland,  as it was great,  but was he really all that? He did it in Scotland when it was a 2 horse race and the rest were walk overs. I'd rather have Kanchelskis  any day of the week over Gazza
Just remember that goal he scored at Goodison mesmerising

September 16, 2018, 03:43:26 AM
Reply #49

Waltzer

Just remember that goal he scored at Goodison mesmerising
I'm not saying he didn't or that he wasn't good,  but it was moments of genius,  nothing consistent over a sustained period top put him In the same category as others. Although In fairness this thread relates to players in their prime so he was the dogs for those few years pre injury

September 16, 2018, 03:54:42 AM
Reply #50

Toffee1

I'm not saying he didn't or that he wasn't good,  but it was moments of genius,  nothing consistent over a sustained period top put him In the same category as others. Although In fairness this thread relates to players in their prime so he was the dogs for those few years pre injury

Still believe that if he had gone to Man Utd instead of Spurs, that his career would been better with Ferguson as his manager.

September 16, 2018, 04:02:57 AM
Reply #51

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Would’ve liked Louis Saha right in his prime injury free.

Also the John Stones we see now playing for England and Man City.

If we got Nigel Martyn at the first time of trying as well things could’ve been a lot different.

September 16, 2018, 04:18:18 AM
Reply #52

Waltzer

Still believe that if he had gone to Man Utd instead of Spurs, that his career would been better with Ferguson as his manager.
Would've been interesting,  although I think he was a flawed character and destined to implode. I didn't realise until today that when he did his ACL he went put on the lash during recovery,  fell over and did it again!!

September 16, 2018, 06:07:52 AM
Reply #53

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Got to be Gaza really. I would have liked Lineker for longer too.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 16, 2018, 06:27:26 AM
Reply #54

sam of the south

It was no coincidence that before getting to this years semi-final, England’s previous best showings since 1966 came with Gascoigne in the side in 1990 and 1996.

He had so much talent. His passing range, ball retention, movement, and dribbling were all top class.

Plus, his midfield general role away to Italy that qualified England for France ‘98 was one of the most disciplined and methodical performances I’ve ever seen from an England player, but then Hoddle sold him out by omitting him from his final squad.

And in between all that he single handedly drove Spurs to the FA Cup final in ‘91 with some of the most exhilarating displays and goals I’ve had the pleasure to witness.

So yeah, his implosion in that final did diminish his star hugely, but he still shone brighter than any English player on the international scene in the next six/seven years following that incident. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:29:35 AM by sam of the south »
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 16, 2018, 08:29:12 AM
Reply #55

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
That 1990 England side was the best England team I’ve ever seen. That was peak Gazza. Him and Platt were the driving force of that team. If they’d have beaten Germany they would have easily have taken the Argies out too.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

September 16, 2018, 01:21:35 PM
Reply #56

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Gazza without question next would be Whiteside for me. Thought he was going to be superb

September 16, 2018, 06:40:04 PM
Reply #57

Mayor Farnum

I wonder if we made a serious attempt to sign Gazza when he left Newcastle. It was 1988, Kendall had left and in Harvey's first season we had finished fourth, twenty points behind the champions and below Forest and Man U.
I don't remember any stories linking us with him. Anyone any memories or know of any attempts by us to sign him?

September 16, 2018, 07:48:10 PM
Reply #58

BlueForYou

No attempts or interest from us to sign him

(Remarkably) Gascoigne hadn't played for England before his 1988 transfer to Spurs

(Transfers we missed out on: Colin Stein, 1968; Kenny Dalglish, 1969; Archie Gemmill, 1970; Ian Storey-Moore, 1972; Peter Shilton, 1974 & 1977)

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 10, 2018, 05:37:54 AM
Reply #59

mikey_blue

Bit of an odd one, but I think a prime Saha would be great in this team.