October 18, 2018, 07:21:48 PM

Author Topic: What striker do we go for?  (Read 5338 times)

September 26, 2018, 05:04:53 PM
Reply #60

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
City wanted a buy-back clause and we didn't, IIRC.

Wonder why? Crap isnít he lads?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 26, 2018, 05:06:45 PM
Reply #61

Bluedylan

Just arse-covering, in case he improves exponentially (which he'd need to, to even get near the City bench), and City end up looking like Chelsea with De Bruyne, Lukaku and Salah.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 26, 2018, 05:29:58 PM
Reply #62

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Tosun has scored more premier league goals than him over the last two seasons and he didnít arrive until January.

He is actually shite.

September 26, 2018, 05:36:11 PM
Reply #63

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Just arse-covering, in case he improves exponentially (which he'd need to, to even get near the City bench), and City end up looking like Chelsea with De Bruyne, Lukaku and Salah.

I know I know, just playing. I do rate him though but I can understand why others donít. Same for Mitro.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 26, 2018, 05:38:19 PM
Reply #64

Bluedylan

I know I know, just playing. I do rate him though but I can understand why others donít. Same for Mitro.

I rate Mitrovic, but don't really want us to go with a static target man, because we'll end up playing longer, and just slinging hopeful crosses into the box. Also, he does seem a bit of a loon.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 26, 2018, 05:54:14 PM
Reply #65

blue1948

I think we will see a bit of a change in January as the staff will have a decent look and hopefully the mercenaries will be gone .We want young up and coming players who need us more than we need them -hungry as fuck ,finding them is not my job . I suspect M & M are already on it and will give us all a late Chrimbo present .

September 26, 2018, 05:57:42 PM
Reply #66

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Tosun has scored more premier league goals than him over the last two seasons and he didn’t arrive until January.

He is actually shite.

Tosun played ~1400 mins and got 5 goals 2 assists, absolute (combined) xg of ~4.10

Iheanacho played ~1100 mins and got 4 goals 5 assists, absolute xg 5.53

He’s younger, he’s quicker, he cost less and he can play in a wider range of positions. He takes more shots and in better positions. If you offered me a swap today I’d bite your hand off.

but that’s academic isn’t it really.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:01:12 PM by brap2 »

September 26, 2018, 06:09:48 PM
Reply #67

Outworlder47

No idea who this geezer is but 100% this is the type of deal we have a chance at.

Someone who isn't a guaranteed starter at the top 6 and we can sell the idea to them - come play regularly with us, prove yourself and you have a realistic crack at CL with us or someone else in 2-3 years.

It pains me to say it but there are so many better options than us for a striker right now because we do not look like getting into CL positions. Even though we can probably match CL prices with most clubs. Until we do get in there or look convincingly like we are about to get in there - we'll have to try and unearth something special that no-one else really wants yet.

Venezuelan international, 5'7" or 5'8" depending on the source, poacher who plays for Atlanta United in MLS. Seriously impressive season with 30 goals in 30 matches - a true 1 in 1 - now owning the league season scoring record. Had 17 in 19 in 2017 with an injury taking about a third of his season. Gets more headed goals than you would expect. Rather Aguero-like in his movement and general style of play, but a very (very) big level-of-league warning applies here.

As cautious as I would be about him, he's probably a decent style fit. As long as there's a supply into and around the box, he's been effective. I suspect he'd take a league-record (or near that) fee to get him out of MLS, but that was only £10.3M rising to £16.7M for Alphonso Davies from Bayern. For that fee range, any player will have questions--his would be one of competition.

September 26, 2018, 06:51:57 PM
Reply #68

Shogun

Administrator
Luis Muriel anyone?
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

September 26, 2018, 06:56:54 PM
Reply #69

kramer0

Whilst I agree sorting out the midfield is a big priority right now, goals win games.

You need chances to score goals.

Teams that control the game and pass the ball forward effectively from midfield tend to create more (and better) chances than ones that donít.

If you canít move the ball forward effectively from midfield, youíre relying heavily on individual skill and opposition mistakes to create good opportunities and both of those things are highly variable from match to match.

Our current forward options would be fine if we created more decent chances. Fuck signing another fancy forward option before we sort the real problem.

September 26, 2018, 06:59:37 PM
Reply #70

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We're creating plenty of chances aren't we?

Maybe the numbers tell a different story?

September 26, 2018, 07:09:38 PM
Reply #71

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Should have scored more in the last 2 games for sure.

Minimal chances vs Huddersfield Iíd say though.

Also not too many chances through the middle though (acknowledging that weíre getting it wide a lot).

If weíre still missing loads of easy chances come Jan then a striker may be more preferable than a CM.

But for tactical balance Iíd rather sort out midfield.

September 26, 2018, 07:21:09 PM
Reply #72

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

No not really, 15th for XG in the prem, just about above West Ham. You could consider that the chances created really I think. Or 14th for ‘shots’.

Plus the majority of our chances are from set pieces which is a whole other argument (not controlling games and relying on whipping in good deliveries from set pieces).

It’s very good to be a team good at set pieces, but very bad to be a team that relies on them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:25:44 PM by brap2 »

September 26, 2018, 07:33:01 PM
Reply #73

TheTone

we could do with 2 of them, also can we have a goal scoring centre midfielder too, actually any centre midfielder who can hit the target and doesn't look like he's going to shank and duff it any time he has a shot, sound

September 26, 2018, 09:34:42 PM
Reply #74

kramer0

We're below average in terms of chance creation, probably since so much of what we create comes from wide areas or set plays. To improve significantly in attack, we need to be better with the ball through the middle of the park.

Bonus: Being able to control the ball in midfield will also help us defensively.

Basically, fixing the midfield will fix most of what's wrong with this side.