December 14, 2018, 03:38:12 PM

Author Topic: [News]Silva defends changes to starting line-up  (Read 1958 times)

October 03, 2018, 05:04:06 AM
Read 1958 times

Everton News

Silva defends changes to starting line-up

Everton boss Marco Silva has defended the changes he made to the side that crashed out of the League Cup to Southampton on penalties this evening.

Source: Silva defends changes to starting line-up

October 03, 2018, 05:07:01 AM
Reply #1

Mayor Farnum

I thought the starting line up was fair enough. You expect changes at this stage of the League Cup and the changes he made were players on the fringe of the first team anyway. It's not as if he filled the team with kids or players with no future at Everton.

October 03, 2018, 05:08:43 AM
Reply #2

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Bullshit Marco, play the same eleven as we did against Fulham and we were through, end of.

October 03, 2018, 05:15:45 AM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Bullshit Marco, play the same eleven as we did against Fulham and we were through, end of.

Were we?

I mean, we did beat Southampton but we made hard work of it when we played them in the league.

What’s with people thinking we play our strongest team (not that we have a strongest team) and we’re comfortably winning games?

You have a squad of 25 for a reason and the league cup presents a good opportunity to rotate the squad and leanr about the players on the fringes.

That team he put out still should’ve been good enough to beat Southampton at home.

If anything it was his decision to change shape at half time that cost us the game. Not his team selection.

October 03, 2018, 05:27:42 AM
Reply #4

Mayor Farnum

I don't think anyone expects an unchanged team in the early stages of the League Cup.

October 03, 2018, 05:31:16 AM
Reply #5

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Were we?

I mean, we did beat Southampton but we made hard work of it when we played them in the league.

What’s with people thinking we play our strongest team (not that we have a strongest team) and we’re comfortably winning games?

You have a squad of 25 for a reason and the league cup presents a good opportunity to rotate the squad and leanr about the players on the fringes.

We’ve come on a bit since we beat them in the league and we should have kept the momentipum from last Sunday going, this was our best chance of winning something this season and our strongest team should have started, that includes Digne,  Walcott, Gana, Sigurdsson and Pickford, would their penalty takers have been quite so confident against England’s no.1 ? We will never know but it would have helped.
Again, Davies tonight was as useful as a chocolate tea pot , you will tell ma again “ he’s only 20” couldn’t give a fuck, he should either go out on loan with DCL or sit on the bench. This loyalty to “local lads” is bollocks and doesn’t exist in the most successful teams, how many in the Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea teams ?
I drove 225 miles today, paid £75 for a hotel room in the expectation that I could enjoy a decent win tonight, Silva had something else in mind.

That team he put out still should’ve been good enough to beat Southampton at home.

If anything it was his decision to change shape at half time that cost us the game. Not his team selection.

October 03, 2018, 05:40:08 AM
Reply #6

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Were we?

We’ve come on a bit since we beat them in the league and we should have kept the momentipum from last Sunday going, this was our best chance of winning something this season and our strongest team should have started, that includes Digne,  Walcott, Gana, Sigurdsson and Pickford, would their penalty takers have been quite so confident against England’s no.1 ? We will never know but it would have helped.
Again, Davies tonight was as useful as a chocolate tea pot , you will tell ma again “ he’s only 20” couldn’t give a fuck, he should either go out on loan with DCL or sit on the bench. This loyalty to “local lads” is bollocks and doesn’t exist in the most successful teams, how many in the Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea teams ?
I drove 225 miles today, paid £75 for a hotel room in the expectation that I could enjoy a decent win tonight, Silva had something else in mind.

October 03, 2018, 05:59:11 AM
Reply #7

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think anyone expects an unchanged team in the early stages of the League Cup.

Perhaps if we had done the “unexpected” we might just still be in with a chance of winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe ! Thoughts ?

October 03, 2018, 06:00:44 AM
Reply #8

Tony Clifton

Were we?

This.  And the ref.

October 03, 2018, 06:06:15 AM
Reply #9

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
This.  And the ref.

Please, he wasn’t the greatest ant that girl running the line was awful but let’s not blame the ref, and what’s that bollocks about “rotating the squad” we’re barely into 7 games, have had one international break and are looking at another break in a week or two, honestly, pathetic excuses for poor team selection .

October 03, 2018, 01:25:47 PM
Reply #10

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Davies was again sound tonight. Couple of wayward passes but still decent. He’s part of any strongest 11 we put out.

I’m also not one big arsed about how much you spent or how far you travelled. Nobody forced you to go the game, and you shouldn’t be expecting this Everton team to comfortably win any games this season.

October 03, 2018, 01:52:29 PM
Reply #11

Simon Paul

Administrator
Davies was again sound tonight. Couple of wayward passes but still decent. He’s part of any strongest 11 we put out.

I’m also not one big arsed about how much you spent or how far you travelled. Nobody forced you to go the game, and you shouldn’t be expecting this Everton team to comfortably win any games this season.

passed backwards an awful lot, and some of his forward passes showed why

something that particularly annoyed me - and it seems a few around me - was that in the first 85 minutes he was all about playing the easy ball and keeping possession, but for the last five minutes seemed to want to play the impossible ball, ultimately giving possession away.

October 03, 2018, 02:05:20 PM
Reply #12

Paddockoldie

Pickford should have played, as with Siggy. Geye. Squad players should play based on merit or form in training not because they haven't had a game for a while.

October 03, 2018, 02:43:02 PM
Reply #13

Lazarou

For me we should never have changed the team, confidence is still fragile and this was great opportunity to do well, we are not in europe so there is no reason that we can't play twice a week. The squad players have had chances to impress and have not taken them so get the first team out, creating partnerships on the pitch and getting used to playing with each other  :hug:
Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

October 03, 2018, 02:51:12 PM
Reply #14

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Have no problem with changing team for this gane. Bernard needed a start if we are going to utilise him correctly. Lookman? People on here have been dying for him to have a start. Dowell? We need to see if he is up to playing against PL sides. Rather do that in the cup than throw away a league game experimenting. Baines, Morgan, Tosun coming in are proven players - no issue there from me. Only one I question is Stek but your back up keeper needs games in case he is ever called upon in the League.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers: