December 15, 2018, 03:16:48 AM

Author Topic: [News]Silva defends changes to starting line-up  (Read 1961 times)

October 03, 2018, 03:10:19 PM
Reply #15

Lazarou

Have no problem with changing team for this gane. Bernard needed a start if we are going to utilise him correctly. Lookman? People on here have been dying for him to have a start. Dowell? We need to see if he is up to playing against PL sides. Rather do that in the cup than throw away a league game experimenting. Baines, Morgan, Tosun coming in are proven players - no issue there from me. Only one I question is Stek but your back up keeper needs games in case he is ever called upon in the League.

What's the point though if it never works, at least for us anyway?
Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

October 03, 2018, 03:16:32 PM
Reply #16

Martip

The whole changes thing surely should come down the manager giving players the necessary rest where possible but ensuring that the team progresses through the competition.

We do not have Europe to factor into the equation and our league form has been less than inspiring so far so it was important for us to have a go at this.....truth is Marco got it wrong.

October 03, 2018, 03:21:24 PM
Reply #17

JordanianEmbassy

I just wanted us to go out 100% for the win in this game. At this stage of the season this game was more important to me than the league.

October 03, 2018, 04:15:28 PM
Reply #18

Lxxx

We’ve come on a bit since we beat them in the league and we should have kept the momentipum from last Sunday going, this was our best chance of winning something this season and our strongest team should have started, that includes Digne,  Walcott, Gana, Sigurdsson and Pickford, would their penalty takers have been quite so confident against England’s no.1 ? We will never know but it would have helped.
Again, Davies tonight was as useful as a chocolate tea pot , you will tell ma again “ he’s only 20” couldn’t give a fuck, he should either go out on loan with DCL or sit on the bench. This loyalty to “local lads” is bollocks and doesn’t exist in the most successful teams, how many in the Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea teams ?
I drove 225 miles today, paid £75 for a hotel room in the expectation that I could enjoy a decent win tonight, Silva had something else in mind.

If you travelled all that way in the expectation that we weren't going to make some changes in the League Cup at home then I'd question your wisdom. He put out a strong enough team, which didn't turn up for whatever reason. My concern was why they didn't/couldn't turn it on not at the ability on the pitch.

October 03, 2018, 07:16:00 PM
Reply #19

Mayor Farnum

Not sure what Stek did wrong. No chance for the goal, one decent penalty save and all the other penalties he faced were good penalties.

October 03, 2018, 07:31:55 PM
Reply #20

bigmanbob

Not sure what Stek did wrong. No chance for the goal, one decent penalty save and all the other penalties he faced were good penalties.
No chance? He kneeled down and watch it roll into the corner, it was piss poor. Davies and Schneiderlin were a disgrace, they hardly played a forward pass all game, they're both too similar to each other, oh for a progressive forward thinking centre mid

October 03, 2018, 07:34:18 PM
Reply #21

Mayor Farnum

No chance? He kneeled down and watch it roll into the corner, it was piss poor. Davies and Schneiderlin were a disgrace, they hardly played a forward pass all game, they're both too similar to each other, oh for a progressive forward thinking centre mid

If you mean the goal I've only seen it live and it looks like he was wrong-footed by a slight deflection.  I don't think he cost us anything last night.

October 03, 2018, 07:41:10 PM
Reply #22

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
If you mean the goal I've only seen it live and it looks like he was wrong-footed by a slight deflection.  I don't think he cost us anything last night.

Nah man, he should’ve saved it. Wait until you see the replay.

I’m in park end so thought Ings hadn’t just rifled a shot far post. Replay tells a different story. 

October 03, 2018, 07:49:52 PM
Reply #23

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Davies was again sound tonight. Couple of wayward passes but still decent. He’s part of any strongest 11 we put out.

I’m also not one big arsed about how much you spent or how far you travelled. Nobody forced you to go the game, and you shouldn’t be expecting this Everton team to comfortably win any games this season.

Quite a depressing thought that we shouldn’t expect to win ANY games comfortably this season, think I might just cling on to the hope that we will for a while longer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:17:14 PM by Escla »

October 03, 2018, 08:04:59 PM
Reply #24

Escla

NSNO Subscriber

October 03, 2018, 08:29:58 PM
Reply #25

Hawkandro

Most of the changes shouldn't have had that much effect detrimentally. The one that did? Stekelenburg. No need to rest Pickford. Why rest a good GK for a pretty average one?

We are not in Europe, and we sure as shit won't win the league, so we should be prioritizing the two cup competitions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:32:36 PM by Hawkandro »
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

October 03, 2018, 09:47:10 PM
Reply #26

bigmanbob

To be honest I thought that when in the ground, but when I saw it again, it's a stinker. He did pull of a cracker later on though

October 03, 2018, 09:57:53 PM
Reply #27

Liam

Administrator
Prize money for winning the carabou cup £100,000 (Zero up to semi finals and then only £25k each for the losing semi finalists)

Prize money for finishing just 1 premier league place higher: £1.91 million

That's exactly why teams use it to give players a run out without risking them in the league and I have no problem with everton doing that.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:59:23 PM by Liam »

October 03, 2018, 10:10:15 PM
Reply #28

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Prize money for winning the carabou cup £100,000 (Zero up to semi finals and then only £25k each for the losing semi finalists)

That's exactly why teams use it to give players a run out without risking them in the league and I have no problem with everton doing that.

Would go along with that 100% if it weren’t for the fact that this was probably our only chance of qualifying for European football.

October 03, 2018, 10:21:29 PM
Reply #29

Lazarou

Surely that can't be a good reason for a team like Everton who have dropped a kings ransom on transfers recently. Building momentum and winning matches is the best way to achieve things.

We have done the same thing for years and yet for some reason we expect a different outcome every time.
Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018