December 14, 2018, 09:06:01 AM

Author Topic: Leicester V Everton Sat 3pm  (Read 9318 times)

October 07, 2018, 07:59:22 PM
Reply #480

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sigurdsson is a very good player suitable for a club of our standing. Apart from Lukaku we don't get world class players anyway so carping about our better players like Sigurdsson is nugatory. We are what we are and are likely to remain so possibly for many years, i.e. outside the top 4/5 clubs. Our real squad problem is lots of relatively poor players and is fixable over several transfer windows, if Silva gets the opportunity. His problems don't include Sigurdsson. 

You can get a player with less quality and a better fit and it is better for the team.

If you make him young enough and buy him cheap enough you can get a profit out of him, which is also better for the team and the club in general.

The only issue Sigurdsson gives us is the need to accommodate him due to inability to be effective anywhere else (“play him in his right position!”), which limits out tactical flexibility and midfield options, and the fact he’s 29 on a long, expensive contract, so our potential to improve the team is stifled a bit too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:26:49 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 07, 2018, 08:23:35 PM
Reply #481

Martip

You can get a player with less quality and a better fit and it is better for the team.

If you make UK young enough and buy him cheap enough you can get a profit out of him, which is also better for the team and the club in general.

The only issue Sigurdsson gives us is the need to accommodate him due to inability to be effective anywhere else (ďplay him in his right position!Ē), which limits out tactical flexibility and midfield options, and the fact heís 29 on a long, expensive contract, so our potential to improve the team is stifled a bit too.
He was brought for proper money as he was a close as we could of got to the real deal. He had just almost single handedly kept up an awful  swansea and had been tearing up trees for a relatively poor national team.

I think he's good enough to adapt to most systems but tbf the dross around him has hampered him settling in. Fair play to Silva who seems to be getting more out of him whether it's through man management or better quality recruitment.

October 07, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
Reply #482

cantoffee

I actually thought he was good outside of the goal yesterday.

More involved, coming deeper to pick up possession, and seemed to be telling everyone to move the ball quicker when we had some periods of slow possession.

Outside of the goal he had a great disguised pass for Bernard, decent hit with his left foot, sent Kenny around the back of their defence once or twice and consistently good deliveries.

I get that he often doesnt create enough from open play but he does create chances by being a world class set piece taker. Can't take a game by the scruff of the neck but few players can.

He won't be the best option every game but he'll score 10 this year and assist near the same. Decent returns for us.

October 07, 2018, 09:18:34 PM
Reply #483

formerKHL

His ability to score from 30 yards has never been in question. Heís done it for his whole career, have you seen the one he scored for spurs v Hull? Even better. But how many of them do you score in a season? How many fly into the stands? Literally the point of tracking stuff like xg.

in general he never had a great game yesterday I donít think? Unbelievable goal but he wasnít up top running it was he? That shot hits the bar and we draw and Iím on here giving him a 6/10.

Itís possible to have an overarching opinion about a player that remains largely unaffected when he scores a good goal.

I hate these kind of statements.....if thatíd of happened........... if this had of happened......fact of the matter is they were down to 10 men and of course that may have been why he had the space....FACT

And IF my dick wouldíve been 2Ē shorter theyíd of called me Mary.....

October 07, 2018, 09:21:21 PM
Reply #484

eyesalwaysblue

Do you think he got space and it all happened because they were down to 10 men?
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 07, 2018, 09:24:12 PM
Reply #485

Major Clanger

Itís possible to have an overarching opinion about a player that remains largely unaffected when he scores a good goal.

It is, but what's the whole point of watching football then?
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 07, 2018, 10:01:36 PM
Reply #486

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Do you think he got space and it all happened because they were down to 10 men?

Yes.

We brought tosun on for Davies, went two up top and put Sigurdsson in the middle with Gana.

Leicester also camped in their own box leaving a massive gap between the defence and midfield.

When they went to ten men it allowed us to put Sigurdsson deeper and hope he can conjure up some magic because space in behind wouldíve been limited.

Sigurdsson being in that position having the space to turn and unleash that shot was all down to them having a man less.

October 07, 2018, 10:21:07 PM
Reply #487

Toddacelli

If you make him young enough and buy him cheap enough you can get a profit out of him, which is also better for the team and the club in general.

The only issue Sigurdsson gives us is the need to accommodate him due to inability to be effective anywhere else (ďplay him in his right position!Ē), which limits out tactical flexibility and midfield options, and the fact heís 29 on a long, expensive contract, so our potential to improve the team is stifled a bit too.

I've alwalys liked Sigurdsson because of these flashes of brilliance. But let's be honest - they were flashes.

I was not one of the stats boys on here but noe of the stuff they brought caused me to rise an eyebrow because you can see with the eye test that whilst he has bags and bags of quality, the amountof that he contributes to the team in 90 mins is very little.

However, like the Siggy fanboys and the stat-bashers, I'm just hoping that as he grows in confidence and as Silva's settles into his best 11 - Sigurdsson will contribute more and more as a team player and those flashes of individual brilliance will come more and more often.

(Plus: can we please get @TheSig back? His overlong and in-depth Sig-centroic posts were the joyous ramblings of a madman in love)

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 07, 2018, 10:58:30 PM
Reply #488

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I've alwalys liked Sigurdsson because of these flashes of brilliance. But let's be honest - they were flashes.

I was not one of the stats boys on here but noe of the stuff they brought caused me to rise an eyebrow because you can see with the eye test that whilst he has bags and bags of quality, the amountof that he contributes to the team in 90 mins is very little.

However, like the Siggy fanboys and the stat-bashers, I'm just hoping that as he grows in confidence and as Silva's settles into his best 11 - Sigurdsson will contribute more and more as a team player and those flashes of individual brilliance will come more and more often.

(Plus: can we please get @TheSig back? His overlong and in-depth Sig-centroic posts were the joyous ramblings of a madman in love)

Yeah I like that heís out there fighting the good fight.

Blocked me on twitter unfortunately tho.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 07, 2018, 11:52:27 PM
Reply #489

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
How many goals does he(Sig)have for us this season?

Our strikers donít score and yet when we have players who do score we complain about how they donít contribute to the general play enoug all based on some obscure chart thatís says the amount of key passes played when the sky is overcast on a Sunday before 4Pm isnít as good as some other player means we need to replace them when what we need is match winners
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

October 07, 2018, 11:56:13 PM
Reply #490

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Our strikers donít score and yet when we have players who do score we complain about how they donít contribute to the general play enoug all based on some obscure chart thatís says the amount of key passes played when the sky is overcast on a Sunday before 4Pm isnít as good as some other player means we need to replace them when what we need is match winners

You donít get it

October 08, 2018, 03:41:01 AM
Reply #491

Lxxx

Maybe our strikers not getting into goalscoring positions, especially at home, might have something to do with our No 10 floating around the periphery of the game most of the time.

Not saying that necessarily is the case, and it might well change with the new Brazilian pairing, but you need to assess all permutations to see what might work best for the team as a whole.

October 08, 2018, 04:11:55 AM
Reply #492

Mayor Farnum