October 18, 2018, 03:06:05 AM

Author Topic: [News]Barkley: Lack of coaching involvement stunted my progression  (Read 3848 times)

October 04, 2018, 05:48:57 PM
Read 3848 times

Everton News

Barkley: Lack of coaching involvement stunted my progression

Former Everton midfield prospect Ross Barkley has hit out at the coaching methods during his time at Goodison Park under a number of different managers. Barkley appeared a natural talent when he broke into the first team, belatedly after a leg-break halted his progression under David Moyes, and after a number of loan terms away […]

Source: Barkley: Lack of coaching involvement stunted my progression

October 04, 2018, 06:17:26 PM
Reply #1

gizzblue

Lack of any sort of football brain will be his downfall .

It's ok pointing the finger at everyone else but all those managers said the same thing (aside Phenomenal Martinez) .

October 04, 2018, 06:22:38 PM
Reply #2

KevtheRat

Dean Saunders called him out on it this morning on Talk Sport. Said he should take a look in the mirror and ask himself if he put enough effort in himself rather than blame others.

October 04, 2018, 06:35:25 PM
Reply #3

Tony Clifton

Lack of any sort of football brain will be his downfall .

It's ok pointing the finger at everyone else but all those managers said the same thing (aside Phenomenal Martinez) .

Martinez got the best out of him.  Yeah, he tends to go OTT, but his man-management worked with Barkley, mostly.

Didn't Barkley give the ball away, leading to Liverpool's equaliser, last weekend? 

Anyway, shame on everyone involved in helping to make the lad a multi-millionaire for not coaching him too, but maybe he can afford a brain transplant...

October 04, 2018, 06:47:19 PM
Reply #4

Hawkandro

Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

October 04, 2018, 06:50:49 PM
Reply #5

Dr. Sponge

October 04, 2018, 06:53:19 PM
Reply #6

kramer0

I know he's very unpopular but I think he has a point.

It's not just him. Look at the lack of progression from all of the young players at the club over the past decade (plus). We're pretty good at getting players to the "good enough to be considered for the first team" phase but awful at getting them any further. Martinez got the "best" out of our young players (I mean this comparatively) because he was actually willing to play them. But even then, their progression was limited because they weren't really learning good habits.

The progression from Barely Interested -> Dreamer -> Dinosaur(s) hasn't been good for player development. Let's hope Silva brings something more. The biggest part of Spurs' recent jump into the upper class of the Premier League is the brilliant work Pochettino has done working with and improving their young players. We need some of that here.

Edit: I should add that I'm not saying he shouldn't take at least some responsibility for his lack of progression. He obviously should. But I don't think he's far off about the standard of coaching here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:57:26 PM by kramer0 »

October 04, 2018, 07:12:46 PM
Reply #7

plumber

Football intellectual has spoken.
What a little piece of shit he is.

October 04, 2018, 07:13:24 PM
Reply #8

Mayor Farnum

We are very good at nurturing young talent and our success at youth level is comparable with most. However, we need to address the lack of impact our home-grown players have at senior level. It has been a problem for years. Even the ones that make it through soon get disillusioned and prefer to spend the best years of their careers elsewhere.

October 04, 2018, 07:16:17 PM
Reply #9

JordanianEmbassy

There were things he was doing wrong week in week out under Koeman and at the time I couldn't understand why the staff at Everton weren't correcting them. Maybe they were trying and it wasn't sinking in. Who knows.

October 04, 2018, 07:39:09 PM
Reply #10

WeimaranerBlues

bet he gets in the England squad --should not like-   just proves how shite England are if he does.........Maddison and the dude at dortmund should get a call up

October 04, 2018, 10:46:21 PM
Reply #11

Mac934

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

October 04, 2018, 11:07:33 PM
Reply #12

MmmblueBernard

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

October 04, 2018, 11:13:24 PM
Reply #13

BlueForYou

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 04, 2018, 11:24:58 PM
Reply #14

Lxxx

Hes nearly 25 and still blaming other people for his inability to progress past a playground footballer.