October 18, 2018, 03:23:08 AM

Author Topic: [News]Barkley: Lack of coaching involvement stunted my progression  (Read 3849 times)

October 08, 2018, 09:14:52 PM
Reply #60

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Joke isnít it.

Scored 8 goals and out created every other Englishman in the league with us in his last year...

Plays 3 games for Chelsea and gets a call up and his arse licked live on telly.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 08, 2018, 09:22:56 PM
Reply #61

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
You'd think this was something new for Barkley the way the media are raving about yesterday. He's been putting in games like yesterday for years, that's always been the frustration, people knew he had it in him but they were often few and far between. Now suddenly all the pundits think they've cracked on to some new insightful facts about Barkley just because he's playing for Chelsea. Souness saying yesterday he never rated him at Everton then off the back of 45 minutes he's raving about him at half time as if he's discovered the next Gazza. Give it ten games and lets see how many decent performances come in before everyone starts blaming Everton for his lack of progress. Story of his career so far, it's always someone else's fault.
Tend to agree there but in fairness to tv pundits in general they are paid to 'pundit' on that days games and that makes it all more immediate whereas papers have the time to think more before they go to print. I quite like some of the pundits but some require more depth of knowledge about individual players. Like any job some people are better than others.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

October 09, 2018, 12:22:53 AM
Reply #62

eyesalwaysblue

Barkley does look in good shape, the pundits won't remember the injuries he had here at crucial times if he starts to fly, they'll put it down to getting away, he looked lost start of the season but seems to be growing in confidence.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 09, 2018, 01:32:56 AM
Reply #63

Gary1878

On intelligence and footballer generally, spacial awareness and coordination aren't allied to academic/emotional intelligence, I don't think, so you get plenty of incredibly clever players who aren't particularly the brightest in their private lives.

Agreed. Itís like saying the Punisher needs to be able to calculate the standard deviation of the move on Friday of US 10 yr treasuries. It just wouldnít help.

October 09, 2018, 06:56:07 PM
Reply #64

Jamokachi

So I was listening to The Guardian Football Podcast earlier (if you don't, you should) and they mentioned that Sarri had a chat with Ross where he told him that he liked him, that he was an athlete, that he had good technical ability but that he was poor tactically. So that's where Ross is coming from with this I reckon. That no-one before Sarri has sat him down and explained this, and told him "I'm going to make you better". I think it's a very fair point.

October 09, 2018, 09:18:37 PM
Reply #65

Bluedylan

We always been a million miles behind tactically, in terms of educating players. People have fixated on technique as the main problem with English football, and there has been some truth to that, but I think that gap is closing, if it's not already closed. The tactical awareness deficit is the main one.

When you see managers like Pep, Klopp, Sarri etc come to this country, you see some of our players go to that next level because they are suddenly getting a whole range of new information about tactics and positioning and decision making that they didn't get all through the junior ranks.

We've always valued blood, thunder and effort over more cerebral attributes generally as a culture.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 09, 2018, 09:34:50 PM
Reply #66

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
We always been a million miles behind tactically, in terms of educating players. People have fixated on technique as the main problem with English football, and there has been some truth to that, but I think that gap is closing, if it's not already closed. The tactical awareness deficit is the main one.

When you see managers like Pep, Klopp, Sarri etc come to this country, you see some of our players go to that next level because they are suddenly getting a whole range of new information about tactics and positioning and decision making that they didn't get all through the junior ranks.

We've always valued blood, thunder and effort over more cerebral attributes generally as a culture.

Hereís hoping Silva will soon join that list of foreign managers !

October 09, 2018, 09:38:33 PM
Reply #67

Bluedylan

Hereís hoping Silva will soon join that list of foreign managers !

Being a training ground manager (based on the testimony of numerous of his ex-players) is probably one of his strongest selling points. Looking for Poch Mark II.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 10, 2018, 12:36:14 AM
Reply #68

eyesalwaysblue

Too late to keep Barkley, but here's hoping the club has learned from losing an asset like him again.

October 10, 2018, 01:18:38 AM
Reply #69

eyesalwaysblue

When they have been a cut above and looked to be capable of the final step we've sold, Rooney and Stones being the obvious ones, they thought Rodwell was in that bracket, blood and thunder has seen us through at times your'e right but we've had some classy intervals over the years. Nothing to do with his performance on saturday but Barkley should still be here, Koeman should have been fucked off way earlier and their might have been a chance he would still be.

October 11, 2018, 06:49:58 PM
Reply #70

Toddacelli

Easy to answer..... he didnít work under any of the managers you mention in Evertonís first team...(if memory serves me right) also you miss the point ....the point being he wasnít/isnít peps first choice Centre back.....another year playing regular first team football in premier league week in week out would of definitely improved him....he got his move because at the time there was no other English Centre backs being ďtoutedĒ as the next best thing since sliced bread.....

"he didnít work under any of the managers you mention" - didn't know you were present for every training session

"also you miss the point ....the point being he wasnít/isnít peps first choice" - think you've missed the point there - we were talking about development. He absolutely IS getting games and developing under a better coach and with better players around him.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 13, 2018, 02:01:49 AM
Reply #71

eyesalwaysblue

Young Barkley stroking the ball about like a midfield general tonight, silky Ross lad silky...

October 13, 2018, 08:42:20 PM
Reply #72

Cereal Killer

Young Barkley stroking the ball about like a midfield general tonight, silky Ross lad silky...

And then the warmup was over and the game started?

October 13, 2018, 10:08:06 PM
Reply #73

eyesalwaysblue

Absolutely dire game, and we have to suffer no matches for that shit, fuckin pathetic.

October 14, 2018, 03:42:35 AM
Reply #74

terrydarracotsbaldpate

Barkley does look in good shape, the pundits won't remember the injuries he had here at crucial times if he starts to fly, they'll put it down to getting away, he looked lost start of the season but seems to be growing in confidence.
Yes Ross seems to forget the years he spent on the Physio table. No class the boy !

Sent from my Hudl 2 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app