December 14, 2018, 09:35:23 AM

Author Topic: [News]What goes wrong once young players get into the Everton first team?  (Read 885 times)

October 04, 2018, 08:00:01 PM
Read 885 times

Everton News

What goes wrong once young players get into the Everton first team?

Everton have a proud tradition of bringing young players through into the first team, but what happens to them once they get there?

Source: What goes wrong once young players get into the Everton first team?

October 04, 2018, 10:40:23 PM
Reply #1

Mac934

They have all been brought into poor teams, without proper guidance, and expected to carry the team. There is no way Davies should be captain. There are better players who should have the job. He doesn't have the experience to do the job, especially when he's still learning, he doesn't need the distraction or pressure. Hibbert came in as a right back and stayed there, Osman came in slowly and spent time on loan. Barkley had too much expectation and was poorly led.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

October 05, 2018, 04:32:02 AM
Reply #2

Mayor Farnum

We have little patience with them, get on their backs and drive the decent ones away. The ones not good enough to get a decent move just put up with it.

October 05, 2018, 05:11:02 AM
Reply #3

BlueBeagle

Shit article.

Most aren't up to it. Simple.

As proven when they move on elsewhere and do fuck all.

What club our size or bigger churn out more than 1 youngster every few years good enough to be a regular starter?
Chelsea: None in over 10 years
Liverpool: Alexander Arnold
United: Rashford
Arsenal: Iwobi at a very big push?
Spurs: Kane
City: Foden looks alright. Prior to that it was Wright Phillips ffs
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:17:22 AM by BlueBeagle »

October 05, 2018, 05:40:55 AM
Reply #4

Evertonian in NC

It's more "What's Wrong With Post-Moyes Everton?"

We have no identity, and no long-term vision.  Short-term thinking, panic moves in the board room and on the pitch.  Moaning in the stands (and even here) after absurdly short amounts of time.

Hopefully that's changing with Silva, but we have to give him the proper tools and proper time, and quit holding the sins of Martinez, Koeman, and the Gas Leak Gravy Boat Year against him.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 05, 2018, 05:17:31 PM
Reply #5

Waltzer

It's more "What's Wrong With Post-Moyes Everton?"

We have no identity, and no long-term vision.  Short-term thinking, panic moves in the board room and on the pitch.  Moaning in the stands (and even here) after absurdly short amounts of time.

Hopefully that's changing with Silva, but we have to give him the proper tools and proper time, and quit holding the sins of Martinez, Koeman, and the Gas Leak Gravy Boat Year against him.

I dont think this was post Moyes, I think this all came about when Moshiri came in. We really lost our identity on and off the field, we went from being very prudent to signing everyone regardless of the benefit to the team. This was also reflected in our managerial appointments, Koeman was never about getting the right man for Everton, it was all about making a statement and getting a 'big' name

October 05, 2018, 05:41:17 PM
Reply #6

Hawkandro

Simple - the Youth set-up has had the same coaches for the past 4/5 years pretty much, whereas the First Team has had a never ending parade of different coaching set-ups with different coaching philosophies over the past 4/5 years.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

October 05, 2018, 07:07:46 PM
Reply #7

ajax_andy

The stark realism is that very few youth players from any team go on to be superstars.  We imo actually have a good track record compared to most, Barkley, Kenny and Davies to name just 3 recently who will a have prolonged premier league careers.  At what level is yet to be determined, but I think it reflects very positively on our ability to bring through youth players.

It also doesn't help that the top teams can stockpile youth which stunts their careers... I bet there's a fair few players stagnating at Chelsea and the like that if we had them from a young age instead would be forging very promising careers for themselves already.

October 05, 2018, 07:49:47 PM
Reply #8

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe itís as simple as the fact that they may shine in the academy and at under 20 level but they are not competing against the more experienced mature foreign superstars which make up the majority of the opposition that they then face in the Premier League.

October 05, 2018, 07:55:07 PM
Reply #9

Evertonian in NC

Focus on development (and buy mostly with an eye towards development, I would point to Onyekuru as a shining example of this), and as a last resort, sign what you can't develop internally.

But most importantly, Brands and Silva need AT LEAST three seasons to show what they've got.  Unless we get a serious relegation threat, give them the opportunity to build Everton the right way, with long-term goals in mind.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 05, 2018, 10:20:46 PM
Reply #10

nsno

Focus on development (and buy mostly with an eye towards development, I would point to Onyekuru as a shining example of this), and as a last resort, sign what you can't develop internally.

But most importantly, Brands and Silva need AT LEAST three seasons to show what they've got.  Unless we get a serious relegation threat, give them the opportunity to build Everton the right way, with long-term goals in mind.

Great post. However I can't see the fans giving them time. Now that we have money to spend some sections of our fan base believe we have a right to be top 6
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

October 05, 2018, 10:42:41 PM
Reply #11

Evertonian in NC

Great post. However I can't see the fans giving them time. Now that we have money to spend some sections of our fan base believe we have a right to be top 6

agreed, it is quite disheartening.  I don't want to turn into West Ham.

October 06, 2018, 04:11:51 PM
Reply #12

boothill

Jags and bainsey both come through our acadamy,  both have arguably been our most consistent performers over the decade,  just a thought,  when we release at the end of academy,  do we or should we put a cheap as chips buy back clause on these players,  both developed at other clubs getting 1st team footy,  same as osman (loan). Weve had some pearlers come through and succeed too by the way,  only to jump ship.