30 (60%)
Mina
6 (12%)
Gomes
10 (20%)
McCarthy
4 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Which player we need back the most  (Read 1511 times)

October 12, 2018, 01:45:51 AM
Reply #45

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
No I wouldn't say that, not if they're still at their same level, which many still can do.

No I'm not saying I think "he's doing ok" I'm saying that bar another serious injury I think he can still play at a very high level, probably even a level that we'll be lucky to find someone equal to never mind better for at least another coupe if years. You're making it sound like it's unheard of to sustain that level into the early/mid 30's.

We're not always going to be able to buy players "ready to bang" so have to get a mix of players. Buying young players to bring through and using the older experienced players to do it is how it works in most places. There's not a thing wrong with having players in the 30's or early 20's either. Again you're making out that 28 is when they've peaked and will only go down from there, which as you would say is "absolute wham" :)

Youíre either misunderstanding what iím saying or intentionally ignoring it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 12, 2018, 02:02:08 AM
Reply #46

D15TIN

that was the guy I think:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%A3o_Pedro_Maturano_dos_Santos

I remember it saying that they'd only just signed him in the summer, but were still interested

October 12, 2018, 04:15:54 AM
Reply #47

Gash

Global Moderator
Youíre either misunderstanding what iím saying or intentionally ignoring it.

Funnily enough, I was thinking just the same.

October 12, 2018, 04:29:58 AM
Reply #48

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
There was everton scouts watching a porto game recently I heard, meant to be looking at a RB there I think

Fine, as long as he doesnít cost more than 60 grand !

October 12, 2018, 06:12:24 AM
Reply #49

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Funnily enough, I was thinking just the same.

Fair enough, agree to disagree on this one.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 12, 2018, 09:15:22 AM
Reply #50

Jamokachi

Not sure why @brap2 is having to explain himself here. We'd be naive to think that a replacement/upgrade for Coleman isn't on the cards in the next couple of years. We don't want a repeat of the Baines situation. Coleman isn't going to get better, and chances are more and more injuries will creep into his game as he get older. He's great for us, that's not being questioned. But if we can find younger and better, then why the hell not.

October 12, 2018, 03:20:25 PM
Reply #51

Juanito

Think Man City signed Frank Lampard when he was 35, put a decent shift in for them, wasnít Terry playing for Chelsea at 36 ?

Want our modern full backs up and down the flanks as much as possible. Not much use having a 36 year old full back trying to get up and down the pitch. Iím with Brap, letís get a wonderkid in for January and build him up to start next season to at least compete and eventually edge out Coleman. Our last back four all aged and got to old together and that leaves us re-shuffling and adjusting a near all new back four at once, which has caused problems.