November 16, 2018, 07:55:12 PM

Author Topic: [News]Has The TV Football Market Become Too Fragmented?  (Read 664 times)

November 09, 2018, 02:15:01 PM
Read 664 times

NewsBot

Global Moderator
Has The TV Football Market Become Too Fragmented?

Whenever the English Premier League announce a new television deal, it is something that generates a whole host of interest. With figures now in the billions, the race to screen one of the best sporting competitions in the world continues to heat up.

Source: Has The TV Football Market Become Too Fragmented?

November 09, 2018, 04:13:44 PM
Reply #1

Mac934

Football is no longer about the supporters, it's all about money. Just look at Spain wanting to play games in the US. No consultation, no respect for fans, just money, money money. I hope the whole thing implodes, from Champions League to the proposed World Club Championships and the so called 'Elite' clubs suffer big time. Imagine if say, Abramovich or Sheik Mansour said, "enough I'm out of here" what would happen to those clubs, and many like them?
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

November 09, 2018, 05:10:54 PM
Reply #2

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Football is no longer about the supporters, it's all about money. Just look at Spain wanting to play games in the US. No consultation, no respect for fans, just money, money money. I hope the whole thing implodes, from Champions League to the proposed World Club Championships and the so called 'Elite' clubs suffer big time. Imagine if say, Abramovich or Sheik Mansour said, "enough I'm out of here" what would happen to those clubs, and many like them?
And "the big" teams who wants to make their own league just to earn even more ridiculous money

November 09, 2018, 06:39:19 PM
Reply #3

School of Science

It's fast becoming a rich man's sport, haha soon things could go full circle and it could end up cheaper just going to the bloody match after all.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

November 09, 2018, 10:10:27 PM
Reply #4

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Newsbots best article in a while, that.
My momma says I'm special.

November 09, 2018, 11:27:45 PM
Reply #5

boothill

The fans in italy had enough in the 90s of being treated like shite by their clubs and stayed away in their droves,  italian clubs are still paying the price for neglecting their fans,  it will happen here,  sooner rather than later i hope,  its been taken away from the bread and butter and into the hands of the corporates,  i cant stand it tbh.  Hate what its become

Sent from my FLOW_5 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 10, 2018, 01:23:17 AM
Reply #6

eyesalwaysblue

The fans in italy had enough in the 90s of being treated like shite by their clubs and stayed away in their droves,  italian clubs are still paying the price for neglecting their fans,  it will happen here,  sooner rather than later i hope,  its been taken away from the bread and butter and into the hands of the corporates,  i cant stand it tbh.  Hate what its become

Sent from my FLOW_5 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Spot on ...Roy Keane nailed it to be fair..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 10, 2018, 03:41:59 AM
Reply #7

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Reading that article the thing that jumped out at me was the cost to the 'fan' through the fragmentation of so many broadcasters. The thing it doesn't do, which I think is important, is differentiate between fans who go, or would go if they could, to follow a team and fans who just sit and watch it all on TV. For me the latter are not fans they are just an audience. So for me that audience is of little importance so if they 'have' to buy several channels so what? And anyway no one 'has' to buy them at all. 
Fans (my definition here) have to be careful about complaining though. It's obvious most fans watch football on TV as well as attending games and PL fans lap up the glamour that currently comes with the money in the game. So we should either shut up or have the courage to stop watching subscription football channels . We can't moan about the inconvenience one minute and encourage them by supporting their channels the next.

Just modified it as everything went weird! Used the word subs*cribe and it filled with links Makes more sense now?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:02:40 AM by Shropshire Blue »
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

November 10, 2018, 04:40:20 AM
Reply #8

formerKHL

I remember the good old days when football was played on a Saturday and kicked off at 3 o’clock....
I was lucky enough to play on a Saturday so my “mantra” in those days was i’d Sooner play than watch.....
As I got older and slower I again was lucky enough to take up coaching and Saturday afternoons was still all about “live” football except I was coaching instead of playing...

When sky sports started (BSKYB) I was always working...academies were just getting underway in them days so I still wasn’t bothered about watching football on telly...

What’s all that gotta do with the “fragmentation of football”? Simple...i’d Always choose to play (if I could ) than watch....now I’d sooner be working than paying to watch...

All sky has done for football IMO  is fkk up the kick off times, kill the game for the real fan, turn the sport I love into a greedy business, and killed the enjoyment with statistics....and created a good living as an “expert “ to ex players telling people what has already happened and what players Should have done....after the event....hindsight I think it’s called.....or just plain old boring....

I’m not a arsed  about watching other teams on telly no matter what league they’re playing in...
When I’m working I give my season ticket away when I’m not working I go the match...

It’s why I don’t subscribe to sky BT or whoever.....and never will...
PLAY RATHER THAN PAY......

November 10, 2018, 09:04:15 AM
Reply #9

Mac934

How do the regular match goers feel about all the differing days and kick off times? Has it affected your thinking about purchasing season tickets? Or your long term planning regarding travelling to home games?
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

November 10, 2018, 02:49:46 PM
Reply #10

Mayor Farnum

There will be fans of other clubs who will find it a bit rich to hear Everton fans complaining about the expansion of football. After all ourselves along with liverpool, United, Spurs and Arsenal were the driving force behind the Premier League because we were sick of sharing our gate money and TV money with the clubs we saw as making up the numbers. The big five clubs told the Football League they were leaving and were going to invite another lucky thirteen clubs to join them.
Make no mistake if we had maintained our position towards the top of the league Everton would be all for these new proposals.
The genie was out the bottle years ago and Everton's fingerprints were all over the cap.

November 10, 2018, 05:50:52 PM
Reply #11

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
How do the regular match goers feel about all the differing days and kick off times? Has it affected your thinking about purchasing season tickets? Or your long term planning regarding travelling to home games?
Not stopped me buying I just know start of season I'll probably only get to 10 to 12 games, luckily I know a few who will gladly take ticket off me so I don't see it as a waste
Simply simply lovely

November 10, 2018, 06:32:57 PM
Reply #12

Alanvideo

........................it's annoying when they piss about with ko times and I can't get to night matches either. But the ST is good value ,if you attend about 12 games you break even. Plus ,I've got a good view so I wouldn't want to give it up .
We are special ,we are Everton.