December 16, 2018, 02:13:09 AM

Author Topic: Smalling  (Read 1704 times)

November 15, 2018, 08:03:14 PM
Read 1704 times

Elgoodo1978

Any truth to this, ya'll reckon?  Seems we've been linked for ever, so probably not

But maybe preparing for Zouma not joining permanently.  Been an unfortunate downgrade if it plays out that way

https://www.football365.com/news/report-everton-look-to-land-man-utd-centre-back-on-a-free

November 15, 2018, 08:10:11 PM
Reply #1

Macca77

No

November 15, 2018, 08:27:18 PM
Reply #2

Cozzie

None starter.

Lazy Journalism.

The least type of Brands/Silva signing ever.

We want young and hungry not old and past it.

There are thousands of CB's out there that aren't Chris Smalling, hes not exactly shite don't get me wrong, but he isn't what we need.

Besides, I fancy us to make the Zouma deal permanent, even if Chelsea try to play hard ball. Once Everton has touched you.....and all that.

November 15, 2018, 09:05:08 PM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator
None starter.

Lazy Journalism.

There are thousands of CB's out there that aren't Chris Smalling, hes not exactly shite don't get me wrong, but he isn't what we need.

Besides, I fancy us to make the Zouma deal permanent, even if Chelsea try to play hard ball. Once Everton has touched you.....and all that.

He's just coming 29 so hardly old and past it.

I wouldn't have a problem on a free. I don't know when Jags contract is up but I can see him going in the summer one way or another, Holgate probably needs to go out and get some regular football as he's not good enough at the moment and if we can't get Zouma then we'll be in the market for at least one centre back. Wages would probably be the stumbling block as he'd be on a fair wedge to probably play third choice to Keane and Mina but in principle it wouldn't be a daft signing. I'd image he'll want to go where he'll get first team action which wouldn't be guaranteed here.

November 15, 2018, 09:09:08 PM
Reply #4

Robioto

Smalling on a free would not be a bad signing at all.

November 15, 2018, 09:20:44 PM
Reply #5

Hawkandro

Smalling on a free would not be a bad signing at all.

It fucking would be, especially when Christensen may well be available (even if we had to pay for him).
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 15, 2018, 09:26:34 PM
Reply #6

Macca77

Have you seen his hair? Come on lads

November 15, 2018, 10:11:59 PM
Reply #7

School of Science

No we should pull out all the stops to make Zooma permanent, much younger and in my eyes better centre half.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

November 15, 2018, 11:52:36 PM
Reply #8

Evertonian in NC

No we should pull out all the stops to make Zooma permanent, much younger and in my eyes better centre half.

This indeed.  Holgate is fine as a 4th CB, or a 3rd while we get a young Zouma replacement up to speed.  But 100% in the "keep Zouma at almost any cost" camp.  He fits us perfectly.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 16, 2018, 12:21:02 AM
Reply #9

D15TIN

This is the shittest of rumours - we have enough quality CBs for starters, but the main thing is - Brands & Silva simply wont sign a player approaching 30, and not a very good one at that

November 16, 2018, 12:26:38 AM
Reply #10

Thornton_19

I could see it if we have been told Zouma is a none starter.
I could understand us going for him from a mentality and 'old head' signing to replace Jagielka. He has been there and won it like with most things.

I would rather not go for him however.

November 16, 2018, 01:43:01 AM
Reply #11

eyesalwaysblue

Say it ain't so.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 16, 2018, 02:08:31 AM
Reply #12

Paddockoldie

None starter.

Lazy Journalism.

Agree mate. There's a growing good vibe about the club and Silva seems to have inspired them and made them see his vision for the club. If he says he wants to stay it's down to sums. I think we need to show him we've got better by the seasons end so he doesn't see it as a big step down.

November 16, 2018, 02:13:50 AM
Reply #13

gizzblue

He's now a player beneath what we should be looking at ....if we are to stick with Marcel & Marco's vision .
Born not made a blue .

November 16, 2018, 02:32:20 AM
Reply #14

Cozzie

He's just coming 29 so hardly old and past it.

I wouldn't have a problem on a free. I don't know when Jags contract is up but I can see him going in the summer one way or another, Holgate probably needs to go out and get some regular football as he's not good enough at the moment and if we can't get Zouma then we'll be in the market for at least one centre back. Wages would probably be the stumbling block as he'd be on a fair wedge to probably play third choice to Keane and Mina but in principle it wouldn't be a daft signing. I'd image he'll want to go where he'll get first team action which wouldn't be guaranteed here.

It just smacks of the type of signing Allardyce or Walsh/Koeman would have made. No thought or imagination.

I get that not every signing has to be down this route but we can still do a lot better than Smalling, even as back up.

Besides. Has he honestly ever been that good? Phil Jones got picked for England for the world cup squad ahead of him.