December 16, 2018, 06:02:54 AM

Author Topic: Expectations shift?  (Read 4542 times)

November 25, 2018, 02:58:21 AM
Reply #15

Martip

Agree in general but the away games have been tough (all in top 11).

Think the position is fair enough based on that.

Just tough given you’d expect Utd improvement over the season.
They are no better than us imo. We are a decent striker away from being better than them imo.

November 25, 2018, 03:03:43 AM
Reply #16

velimski

I'm not convinced Arsenal are 'all that' either.

November 25, 2018, 03:36:47 AM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
They are no better than us imo. We are a decent striker away from being better than them imo.

They’re only a point behind us despite having been “sack their manager” woeful.

You’d have to expect that they’d improve either with this manager or another.

Plus, no guarantee that we’ll sign this striker.

Not saying it’s impossible but, they (plus Arsenal) won’t be considering finishing below us.

November 25, 2018, 03:40:55 AM
Reply #18

Thornton_19

One game at a time for me this season. Even though its a bit cliche, i feel if we play our game this season and win our winnable games we will be in Europe next year.

November 25, 2018, 03:44:27 AM
Reply #19

Martip

They’re only a point behind us despite having been “sack their manager” woeful.

You’d have to expect that they’d improve either with this manager or another.

Plus, no guarantee that we’ll sign this striker.

Not saying it’s impossible but, they (plus Arsenal) won’t be considering finishing below us.
Totally see where you are coming from but if we were to do a combined 11 we d have as many as them if not more I reckon. I don't think the problem is just their manager but rather they 've let other teams catch them up.

When we played them I was not impressed and thought we could have got something from that game. They 'll fear coming to goodison imo.

November 25, 2018, 03:50:01 AM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Totally see where you are coming from but if we were to do a combined 11 we d have as many as them if not more I reckon. I don't think the problem is just their manager but rather they 've let other teams catch them up.

When we played them I was not impressed and thought we could have got something from that game. They 'll fear coming to goodison imo.

Yes true we could have got something and I’d hope to beat them at home.

I doubt that most neutrals would pick many of our players (rightly or wrongly).

November 25, 2018, 03:55:21 AM
Reply #21

Martip

Yes true we could have got something and I’d hope to beat them at home.

I doubt that most neutrals would pick many of our players (rightly or wrongly).
You are probs right ref neutrals. I'd go this  as a combined.....

De Gea (although could be argued pickford is in the better form this year)
Coleman
Mina
Zouma
Digne
Gana
Pogba
Siggy
Martial
Richarlison
Lukaku

November 25, 2018, 04:00:43 AM
Reply #22

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I definitely think we should be happy with a comfortable 7th place finished and clear progress in terms of our football over the course of the season.  If we can challenge Utd and Arsenal on top of that then it's a massive bonus too, but I think that's dependent on Utd continuing to falter over the whole season which I'm not sure will be the case.  We're in a position to give it a shot though.

Definitely got to be positive about things so far though.  The results have been mainly decent, but it's the football we're playing and how quickly Silva seems to have been able to make his mark on the team that's the biggest thing for me.  Really hope that we give the FA Cup a proper shot too.

November 25, 2018, 04:33:14 AM
Reply #23

Waltzer

Games against Liverpool, City and spurs will have a massive influence on where we go under silva, although clearly I won't be happy, but I'd take 3 defeats if we approach them in the right way. I don't want to see us sit deep and be inferior, we have enough talent to worry them, so let's give it a go!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 25, 2018, 05:08:15 AM
Reply #24

bluenuck

Yes, my expectations have shifted.

I expected ~50 points give or take and a ~10th place finish.

Now I can see a bit of the light that this Silva guy has. I expect 7th and our good football to continue or maybe even get better. I do realize there will be low points though, but overall I expect it to go this way. I want to challenge top 6 teams in games home and away and not act like we're inferior to them. If these 3 things happen I will be very happy.

In Summer get a top notch striker, sign Gomes or get someone of his ilk, and then we go from there.

November 25, 2018, 05:26:24 AM
Reply #25

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Course there’s been a shift.

Since we bedded the new signings in we’ve shown top 4 form.

Not saying that’ll continue but I’m sure a part of all of us is hoping (and not without cause) for something a little more special than 7th.

November 25, 2018, 06:08:22 AM
Reply #26

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
We've already been beaten pretty comfortably by both Arsenal and Man Utd so far, so id expect them to finish above us, and I think they're both outsider for top 4 (you'd imagine it's City, Shite, Spurs and Chelsea) so my expectations haven't really changed too much in terms of where we might finish.

We finished 8th last season so 7th this season with a massive improvement in the football we're playing is about right.

I can only see us picking up 1 point at best against Liverpool, City and Spurs.
It's all positive though and we're moving in the right direction.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 25, 2018, 06:15:12 AM
Reply #27

youngysenior

Think we need to be careful not to get carried away here. Havent had a really tough run of games yet that could suck the confidence from the team.

If we can get some points from games against the top 6 I'd change my opinion.

7th, clear vision of how we want to play, and some positive performances against the top 6 and that has to be considered a good 1st season

Sent from my SM-G950W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
We got a point at Chelsea?

Sent from my SM-G965F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 25, 2018, 06:19:49 AM
Reply #28

youngysenior

Games against Liverpool, City and spurs will have a massive influence on where we go under silva, although clearly I won't be happy, but I'd take 3 defeats if we approach them in the right way. I don't want to see us sit deep and be inferior, we have enough talent to worry them, so let's give it a go!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
Don't think we should worry about any team, we are more than capable of matching"anyone!!. Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 25, 2018, 06:22:52 AM
Reply #29

Shogun

Administrator
We've already been beaten pretty comfortably by both Arsenal and Man Utd so far, so id expect them to finish above us, and I think they're both outsider for top 4 (you'd imagine it's City, Shite, Spurs and Chelsea) so my expectations haven't really changed too much in terms of where we might finish.

We finished 8th last season so 7th this season with a massive improvement in the football we're playing is about right.

I can only see us picking up 1 point at best against Liverpool, City and Spurs.
It's all positive though and we're moving in the right direction.

We battered Arsenal for an hour but didn’t take out chances.

Man United was disappointing.

Chelsea was a good result.

All three away from home. Arsenal have already lost away to Chelsea, would it be a surprise if they picked up a point maximum from Old Trafford and Goodison this season?
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth