December 16, 2018, 05:08:45 AM

Author Topic: Expectations shift?  (Read 4539 times)

November 25, 2018, 06:26:36 AM
Reply #30

gizzblue

We've already been beaten pretty comfortably by both Arsenal and Man Utd so far, so id expect them to finish above us, and I think they're both outsider for top 4 (you'd imagine it's City, Shite, Spurs and Chelsea) so my expectations haven't really changed too much in terms of where we might finish.

We finished 8th last season so 7th this season with a massive improvement in the football we're playing is about right.

I can only see us picking up 1 point at best against Liverpool, City and Spurs.
It's all positive though and we're moving in the right direction.

We were robbed by officials at both Arsenal and Man u. ....a good three yard offside goal and awful John moss penalty...comfortably beaten!! my arse .
Born not made a blue .

November 25, 2018, 06:32:47 AM
Reply #31

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
We battered Arsenal for an hour but didnít take out chances.

Man United was disappointing.

Chelsea was a good result.

All three away from home. Arsenal have already lost away to Chelsea, would it be a surprise if they picked up a point maximum from Old Trafford and Goodison this season?

We battered arsenal and still got beat 2-0, so even on their off day they're still beating us.

The Utd game showed more where we're at compared to them top 6 clubs, we never looked close to them.

The Chelsea result was good but we never looked like troubling them, just a good defensive display away from home.

I don't think it would be a surprise if Arsenal picked up a point at Goodison and got beat at old Trafford, but on a head to head they've still outdone us, so I think they'll finish above us.

The only thing that could go our way is if Utd have a complete meltdown with Mourinho and then we could potentially steal that 6th place, but I doubt that will happen.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:39:10 AM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 25, 2018, 06:35:13 AM
Reply #32

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
We were robbed by officials at both Arsenal and Man u. ....a good three yard offside goal and awful John moss penalty...comfortably beaten!! my arse .

Nah we were miles behind Utd when we played them.
We didn't take our chances against Arsenal and they did, that'll be the difference this year.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 25, 2018, 06:47:32 AM
Reply #33

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think this is the best we’ve been in absolutely fucking ages, with one of the easiest starts to the season we’ve had in ages, and United are still a pyab’s width behind us despite being apparently a wheel-less hell train all year.

~65 points, improved performances on the pitch, improved transfers off it, progression.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 25, 2018, 08:15:50 AM
Reply #34

Bluedylan

Utd should be much lower than they are. They've picked up a number of points they don't deserve, and the mini run they went on covered over the cracks. If they keep Mourinho for most of the season, I think we can finish above them.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 25, 2018, 01:32:10 PM
Reply #35

bluenuck

We battered Arsenal for an hour but didnít take out chances.

Man United was disappointing.

Chelsea was a good result.

All three away from home. Arsenal have already lost away to Chelsea, would it be a surprise if they picked up a point maximum from Old Trafford and Goodison this season?

I thought we competed very well in all three of those games. I also thought we deserved something from them.

I wasnít a huge fan of silva. But Iím starting to see it now. Hopefully this isnít a martinez thing where we just shined in his first season and he and brands can actually move us forward.

November 25, 2018, 02:12:32 PM
Reply #36

Paddockoldie

It's obvious to see our improvement and my confidence is growing. Last season we'd have taken a draw here because we would never had broken them down.. Now, we want the win. How good we can be and how much we've improved will be shown after the next three games.. Silva has beaten the shite but they're a different beast now but so are we. Onward Evertonians!!!

November 25, 2018, 02:13:29 PM
Reply #37

Paddockoldie

It's obvious to see our improvement and my confidence is growing. Last season we'd have taken a draw here because we would never had broken them down.. Now, we want the win. How good we can be and how much we've improved will be shown after the next three games.. Silva has beaten the shite but they're a different beast now but so are we. Onward Evertonians!!!

November 25, 2018, 03:03:06 PM
Reply #38

D15TIN

Up into 6th after today with United continuing to struggle and weíll remain there if Bournemouth fail to beat Arsenal tomorrow, but will be within 3 points of 5th if they do get something.

Is top 6 realistic now or does it depend on how we fare against Liverpool, Man City and Spurs in the coming weeks?
United aren't hitting 70 odd points this season I don't think, they've got Liverpool, arsenal and spurs coming up too I think

It's unlikely but if we were to go to anfield at win I'd be setting our sights higher than top 6, keeping that XI fit is essential to a good season though, if Gomes, gana or Sigurdsson got injured we wouldn't play to the same level

November 25, 2018, 03:46:02 PM
Reply #39

eyesalwaysblue

A striker at the same level as the signings of the last window and we're making another step forward, much harder to come by though, saying that we are becoming a more attractive club for players to say yes to.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 25, 2018, 03:57:49 PM
Reply #40

blue slug

Totally see where you are coming from but if we were to do a combined 11 we d have as many as them if not more I reckon. I don't think the problem is just their manager but rather they 've let other teams catch them up.

When we played them I was not impressed and thought we could have got something from that game. They 'll fear coming to goodison imo.

Good point about who would get into a combined 11. Iíd definitely have our back five completely over thereís

November 25, 2018, 04:05:51 PM
Reply #41

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think people are overestimating our performances a bit personally.

Really pleased with us, but even this form isnít that sustainable I donít think. When gylfiís scoring levels out we will need to find a 1 in 2 or so striker from somewhere.

Still struggling with deep teams but have managed to squeak results well.

Think we should be pleased and not get ahead of ourselves, obviously stuff happens in football and I donít want to be a misery arse, but I donít want anyone being disappointed if our performances level out shortly and we start lingering around 7h /8th.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 25, 2018, 04:31:56 PM
Reply #42

Lxxx

Weíll still struggle in the big games due to our lack of a quality striker. All the top 6 have one and itís where we came unstuck against Arsenal.

That being said weíre on the right track and if we continue to improve and keep clean sheets thereís no reason why we canít get 6th this season and then address the striker issue in the summer.

November 25, 2018, 05:26:12 PM
Reply #43

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Expected us to finish somewhere between 12th and 7th before the season, now I think weíre floating to 7th.

Do think the top six will pull away sooner or later.

To really judge where we are we need to play games away from home against the teams below us. Havenít had that type of game for a long while.

The games away from home will dictate if we can challenge the top six or if weíll be floundering in 7th.

November 25, 2018, 05:32:09 PM
Reply #44

Martip

Think people are overestimating our performances a bit personally.

Really pleased with us, but even this form isnít that sustainable I donít think. When gylfiís scoring levels out we will need to find a 1 in 2 or so striker from somewhere.

Still struggling with deep teams but have managed to squeak results well.

Think we should be pleased and not get ahead of ourselves, obviously stuff happens in football and I donít want to be a misery arse, but I donít want anyone being disappointed if our performances level out shortly and we start lingering around 7h /8th.
The thing is brap I don't see why it is not sustainable as we have quality everywhere apart from upfront where we know we need to invest. This quality now extends to the bench where we have players like lookman and Zouma waiting in the wings when previously their quality would have meant they d be in the 1st 11.

If say we were to sell Morgan and Cenk and get let's say 40m ish we shouldn't need to add too much to get the striker we need....who that is is the million dollar question I know but in brands I believe we have the man to find him.

I don't think we should downplay how far Arsenal and Man Utd have fallen recently and how close we are to them quality wise. I wonder what the results of those 3 games would have been if Lukaku was still here....im confident we wouldn't have lost to arsenal at least.