October 16, 2019, 12:32:17 PM

Author Topic: Gana Get Replaced?  (Read 13106 times)

December 11, 2018, 07:13:47 PM
Read 13106 times

Toddacelli

I think Gueye has been fantastic for us.

When he came in he was exactly what we needed and what we were missing.

Having said all that - I'm finding him really frustrating this season. He seems to give possession away almost as much as he wins it back - with his age being a factor too, I'm ready to see a replacement come in for him.

Am I in the minority?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 11, 2018, 07:16:17 PM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Having said all that - I'm finding him really frustrating this season. He seems to give possession away almost as much as he wins it back - with his age being a factor too, I'm ready to see a replacement come in for him.

Am I in the minority?
In general, he is a huge asset for away games and the big home games. Against sides who wanna nullify us then he isn't needed as he gets found out
Simply simply lovely

December 11, 2018, 07:19:43 PM
Reply #2

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
I love the guy, but am finding it frustrating when he gets caught on the ball or misplaces a pass or two
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

December 11, 2018, 07:53:04 PM
Reply #3

Cereal Killer

Am I in the minority?

He doesn't need replacing, we just need an alternative who is more comfortable in possession to play against those teams that sit deep and don't really try and do anything of note attacking wise

December 11, 2018, 08:15:54 PM
Reply #4

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Think we just need a different system to the 'big' games and games where teams sit back...
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos l Everton!

December 11, 2018, 08:52:16 PM
Reply #5

Hawkandro

He is great at what he does, but his passing is erratic at best and he offers nothing whatsoever going forward, so in games where Gomes is nullified (aka last night), we may as well not be playing with a CM.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

December 11, 2018, 09:08:15 PM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
One of our best performers this season.

May be the case hes not needed in every scenario though.

December 11, 2018, 09:15:16 PM
Reply #7

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Our goal came from him fizzing it into Walcotts feet to be fair. If we had a midfielder or a ten to do that job and be more proactive then we could afford him to do less.

Gomes willingness to take the ball in tight areas and switch it or dribble with it to evade pressure are helping, but nobody wants to play it into feet or into runs, and we cant hold it up generally when we do anyway.

Bit embarrassing last night that our forward passing to the strikers was largely Mina or the bloody keeper to be honest.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 11, 2018, 09:18:59 PM
Reply #8

KoemansNumberTens

Find it a bit odd that when we struggle to break a side down people want gueye replaced. Hes the 1 defensive minded player in our midfield and hes doing a great job defensively. Surely we should be asking for a lot more from Walcott, Bernard and sigurdsson and expecting a quality striker signed. Gueye really isnt the problem. Hes probably been 1 of our 3 or 4 best players this season

December 11, 2018, 09:38:45 PM
Reply #9

Bluedylan

Find it a bit odd that when we struggle to break a side down people want gueye replaced. Hes the 1 defensive minded player in our midfield and hes doing a great job defensively. Surely we should be asking for a lot more from Walcott, Bernard and sigurdsson and expecting a quality striker signed. Gueye really isnt the problem. Hes probably been 1 of our 3 or 4 best players this season

I don't think it's meant as particularly a criticism of Gana. He does what he does really well, as we all know. It's just whether you can afford to have a player who purely does defensive duties, and generally fucks up any attacking play, against defensive teams.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

December 11, 2018, 09:50:25 PM
Reply #10

kramer0

I would like to see Silva do a little more experimenting with combinations in midfield.

Gana/Gomes/Davies (for matches where we need Gomes' pressure resistance and a little more bite defensively)
Gana/Gomes/Bernard (to see how we fare with a different playmaker)
Gomes/Davies/Sigurdsson or Bernard (for when we're going to have a lot of the ball)

We're in a pretty stable position overall. A little bit of tinkering could help us develop some tactical variations for dealing with different types of matches.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:54:23 PM by kramer0 »

December 11, 2018, 09:51:54 PM
Reply #11

Waltzer

He's the one player I think the opposition want on the ball, they either close him down quickly then he loses the ball or they give him enough rope and he hangs himself. Great at winning the ball back, but that's not really football

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

December 11, 2018, 10:36:22 PM
Reply #12

Toddacelli

This is not off the back of last night - this is a general observation from all of his games (that I've seen).

I feel like I'm always cheering one minute when he's won the ball back and cursing him the next for when he's given possession away cheaply and allowed the opposition to bypass him and the rest of our midfield.

It'd be interesting to see if this is something of a confirmation bias I have every time it happens - or if he is genuinely giving the ball away a lot.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 11, 2018, 10:38:13 PM
Reply #13

Bluedylan

This is not off the back of last night - this is a general observation from all of his games (that I've seen).

I feel like I'm always cheering one minute when he's won the ball back and cursing him the next for when he's given possession away cheaply and allowed the opposition to bypass him and the rest of our midfield.

It'd be interesting to see if this is something of a confirmation bias I have every time it happens - or if he is genuinely giving the ball away a lot.

You'd have to separate his 5 yard passes back to the centre halves, when he's unmarked and could turn with the ball, and anytime he tries to pass the ball forwards or through tight spaces.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

December 11, 2018, 11:28:43 PM
Reply #14

bluenuck

In general, he is a huge asset for away games and the big home games. Against sides who wanna nullify us then he isn't needed as he gets found out

It's this and more of this.

Against about say ~12 teams in the league he's awesome.

Put him up against that shite Newcastle side and he's just atrocious. Silva needs to notice this and bring Davies on at the half when teams do that to us. At least he tries to make the forward pass.

I don't want him gone till we sort out the box to box mid, and even our attacking mid.