September 15, 2019, 09:53:56 PM

Author Topic: Cenk Tosun  (Read 8518 times)

December 13, 2018, 03:34:59 AM
Reply #45

Ross

I was never having him or Walcott from the start, was it 45m for the pair of them? kin hell

Plus the commitment weve made to their no doubt very generous salaries for the next 4/5 years.

Honestly weve burnt through money these past years like it was a subsidy from the Northern Ireland government.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

December 13, 2018, 03:37:10 AM
Reply #46

eugene

Plus the commitment we've made to their no doubt very generous salaries for the next 4/5 years.

Honestly we've burnt through money these past years like it was a subsidy from the Northern Ireland government.
Very true

December 13, 2018, 03:45:35 AM
Reply #47

Waltzer

There are clearly exceptions to the rule and everyone can state Coleman only cost 60k etc, but I'm intrigued what people think the going rate for someone like Walcot? A 28 year old England International, with roughly a 1 in 4 goals per game ratio at a team that have been much more successful than us, personally I thought, and still do think, 22 million was good business.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

December 13, 2018, 03:55:29 AM
Reply #48

stirlingblue

There are clearly exceptions to the rule and everyone can state Coleman only cost 60k etc, but I'm intrigued what people think the going rate for someone like Walcot? A 28 year old England International, with roughly a 1 in 4 goals per game ratio at a team that have been much more successful than us, personally I thought, and still do think, 22 million was good business.

Get out of here with your logic.

Bashing Walcott is the flavour of the month so it has to be wedges into every fucking thread

December 13, 2018, 04:32:58 AM
Reply #49

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Walcott has been a good signing and Tosun not a bad one.

December 13, 2018, 04:34:01 AM
Reply #50

Shogun

Administrator
Walcott has been a good signing and Tosun not a bad one.

Really?

I'll give you Walcott but what has Tosun contributed to be worth even close to 27m or whatever it was?

December 13, 2018, 04:44:12 AM
Reply #51

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Really?

I'll give you Walcott but what has Tosun contributed to be worth even close to 27m or whatever it was?

Fair play Tosun hasn't proved value for money yet although I thought he was a fair bit less than that in my brain.

December 13, 2018, 07:01:04 AM
Reply #52

Evertonian in NC

Both are the kind of players He Who Must Not Be Named would purchase because he had heard of them.

Walcott at least isn't useless, thanks to him finally staying healthy for a stretch.  Tosun is one we rightly question whether he's any better than Niasse - and it's almost embarrassing he still is in the squad.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

December 13, 2018, 07:18:11 AM
Reply #53

kramer0

It's generally not a good idea to buy a forward from a league like Turkey unless (1) he's cheap, or (2) he's young, already good, and you believe he still has lots of room to grow. I mean no disrespect to Tosun, who I think is a pretty good player in the right situation, when I say that this was always a bad idea.

No surprise that this deal hasn't aged well.

December 13, 2018, 08:48:02 AM
Reply #54

eyesalwaysblue

Don't think Walcott was bad business especially at the time and the shit we were in, though even with injuries aside he's never been a consistent game in game out player, that's just the way he's always been.  Saying that think he will remain a good squad player for us after we make the improvements that we need to improve again.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 13, 2018, 01:37:17 PM
Reply #55

TheTone

Walcott was good business for Arsenal, up there with Schneiderlin for me where the selling club got the better deal

December 13, 2018, 02:18:04 PM
Reply #56

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think if we get a striker anything close to morata I would be well and truly blown away.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 13, 2018, 02:45:15 PM
Reply #57

Hesmenos

We definitely overpaid for Cenk but that is what happens when you are desperate for a striker in January. I think he is a decent striker. He showed last season that he could score goals and if he finds space he's a very good finisher.
I just don't think he can find that space in Silva's system. He doesn't have the speed to get behind the defence either. Silva has tried to find a way to fit him in but I think he's given up. He's gone from first choice striker at the start of the season to 3rd choice behind a winger and DCL.

December 13, 2018, 05:08:59 PM
Reply #58

stirlingblue

Out of interest, who do people think we can sign at RW who would be an improvement on Walcott?

Hes just shy of CL standard IMO, and better than him wont join us unless its a risk on a young player like Richarlison and you can only have so many of them in the side.

December 13, 2018, 05:58:52 PM
Reply #59

eyesalwaysblue

Out of interest, who do people think we can sign at RW who would be an improvement on Walcott?

Hes just shy of CL standard IMO, and better than him wont join us unless its a risk on a young player like Richarlison and you can only have so many of them in the side.
Your'e right in terms of skill and speed he would be very expensive to better and if we could find the key to keeping him in a game for 90 instead of bursts here and there, we would have a top drawer player in him.
I still despise Clive Thomas..