October 21, 2019, 06:38:15 AM

Author Topic: Racist chanting  (Read 7936 times)

December 22, 2018, 12:38:22 AM
Reply #45

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Says who? The only thing offensive here is assuming he loves the lemo because he's Colombian  lolol that however seems to be ok but oh god, not his big dick, hide your wives.

Itís naive to think we donít sing it because heís black tbh.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

December 22, 2018, 12:38:54 AM
Reply #46

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Says who? The only thing offensive here is assuming he loves the lemo because he's Colombian  lolol that however seems to be ok but oh god, not his big dick, hide your wives.

Not going to waste my time repeating what others have said, about why this is racist. I dont for one second think that the people singing the song were being malicious. But there is no doubt about it, that its racist.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

December 22, 2018, 12:40:33 AM
Reply #47

Tinga

Do some reading.

Nice retort, you sure showed me.

December 22, 2018, 12:51:38 AM
Reply #48

sam of the south

ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

December 22, 2018, 01:03:51 AM
Reply #49

TheTone

...do we really sing it because Mina is black though or because he's 6 foot fucking 5 and probably has a massive dick?

Tallist

December 22, 2018, 01:35:54 AM
Reply #50

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Tell you whose best placed to judge what is and isnít racist?

Bunch of white fellas on the internet.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 22, 2018, 02:23:07 AM
Reply #51

Macca77

Racist

December 22, 2018, 02:50:32 AM
Reply #52

sam of the south

Yeah, but some shit is pretty cut and dry, especially if you have grown up being close to men of colour or have some in your family
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

December 22, 2018, 02:55:35 AM
Reply #53

bluenuck

How do you know we're all white?  :)

December 22, 2018, 03:40:29 AM
Reply #54

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, but some shit is pretty cut and dry, especially if you have grown up being close to men of colour or have some in your family

In general ye, alot of racism is pretty cut and dry, but there are others that divide opinion, even amongst people that particular ethnicity/community/clade or whatever else.

This particualr subject isn't cut and dry (i dont think), some people wouldn't think they are the subject of racist abuse if it was said about them, but maybe some do.
I jumped in earlier and said it's not, I was probably being a bit hasty and thinking about people close to me, on reflection I could see how some people could feel uncomfortable with it. Arguably there are links to "beast" "monster" thrown in too.
For example, I dont think saying a black guy has a big cock is racist. However, saying to a mixed race or black girl "I bet your dad has a big cock" I think is 100% racist.

Its a weird one and I think it's more complex than some peopls make out it is.

In general its not something I want to hear, its crude and in bad taste, but equally I wouldn't consider someone a racist if they said it.

Edit: just to add, its 100% being sang becuase he's black. People didn't sing these songs about Dunc, Crouch, Carroll or any other big non black players.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:57:31 AM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

December 22, 2018, 04:08:36 AM
Reply #55

SANA_DR0

some very good points in this thread, and some posts that made me lol literally.

i guess its supposed to be a funny chant, kinda backwards chant bigging up the player.. but many of the pc brigade dont see that. being a person of 'color' (to me that alone is racist, its like saying white people are color-less) it all depends on the nature or the tone the chant/words are being sad. ie if a comedian (white/black/asian/whatever) said anything like that.. the audience would laugh.. so many comedians make 'racist' jokes. some of the best asian/indian comedians i have seen have made 'racist' jokes about their own people...

i see it as racist; and i can see it how people can see it as an amusing funny chant. its just racial stereo types, that the ignorant and older generation find funny.

Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

December 22, 2018, 05:02:47 AM
Reply #56

hannu

i have not heard the chant, so am not commenting on if it is racist or not but on the general way in that people react to anything that can be used to vilify someone, while i understand some peoples point of view, i think its really pathetic that almost everything can be turned to be racist sexist homophobic etc

it might be a stereotype but is stereotyping that bad all the time? there are levels to it, saying a black man has a big dick might be childish but is it really that offensive? you could say anyone has a big dick regardless of there colour and  i think they would take it as a compliment

Jeremy Corbyn is being vilified for calling Theresa May a stupid woman, she is a woman and by the looks of it incredibly stupid, but you can not call a woman a woman anymore? if she had called him a stupid man would it be an issue?

anyway i digress from my point

my point is everyone is equal and should be respected and valued for who and what they are does not matter if they are white, black, gay, straight, man or woman but it should not be a problem to mention the differences between people rather it should be celebrated rather than everyone take offence to every little thing

i have had a couple of beers, am not sure if ive made my argument clear, somewhere behind my incoherent jumble of words there is some semblance of a valid point (possibly)

December 22, 2018, 05:13:21 AM
Reply #57

Mayor Farnum

It's all a smokescreen to divert attention away from Evertonians inability to come up with any decent songs.
Something clever written by someone else.

December 22, 2018, 08:58:27 PM
Reply #58

Toddacelli

It brings up the issues of context and intent as well.

I'd like to see those done and dusted with to be honest. Was race mentioned in the song? No. Was the intent to vilify, discredit or reduce the man in any way? No.

However, these things do. So we should just draw a line and say "Ok, we get it, you were doing it tongue in cheek and never meant to hurt anyone but here's the thing - it does. It does hurt people and your 'we were only joshing' type of racism can not only still hurt people - but it gives other people an excuse to go further. So we're drawing a line and saying none of it is acceptable."

On a scale of Wrong, numbered 1-10 - even your 1's and 2's are still Wrong and we won't get rid of the 9's and 10's until we draw the line on all of it. Then people can't bleat about context and intent.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 22, 2018, 09:58:13 PM
Reply #59

Toddacelli

I'll give you a personal anecdote of something that happened to me recently.

I work for a global company servicing many countries, so most of my coworkers are from all over the world. In my team of 9 I am the only white English person. There are about 100 people where I work.

One of the people I sit next to, let's call him 'G' (because I do!), comes from a small country in Africa called Benin that I had never heard of before I met him.

So one day G comes in moaning about the English weather pissing down and how he cut his hand on his umbrella. Well I thought it was hilarious. Laughing my head off I said "Of course he's cut his hand on his brolly - man's from Benin - he's never seen rain before!"

G got upset at that so I suggested we go chat somewhere private.

When we were alone I said "So how come you can say that in England it's always raining but I can't say that in Africa it never rains?"

He said to me "When you say something like that to me, I don't mind because we're friends. But when you say it in front of everyone I have to shut it down."
"Why?"
"Because if other people think it is ok to say stuff to me about being African, I guarantee one of them at some point will say the wrong thing and then we'll have a big problem."

So I learned something then. G's experience is so different to mine. Yes, there are some things certain people can 'get away with' (or however you want to put it) or put up with in different situations - but if we don't draw that line and say it is all totally unacceptable - people are going to get hurt.

So instead of "Oh it's ok to say that but it's not ok to say this?"

Lets cut out the confusion and just make a stand because that joke you like that you think is 'only mildly racial' - it's holding the door open for some real nasty shit.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates