November 15, 2019, 11:32:57 PM

Author Topic: Racist chanting  (Read 8104 times)

December 21, 2018, 11:50:10 PM
Read 8104 times

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Its not though, its in bad taste,  but ask any person of colour to tell you the racist abuse they've experienced as a child and adult and being told you've got a big cock, or assuming you've got a big cock will not be up there.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

December 22, 2018, 12:29:12 AM
Reply #1

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
You probably donít know that many then.

My brother-in-law told me that growing up in New York and often getting called stupid n****r, and only being praised for his athleticism or perceived outsized genitalia was all part of the same thing.

Painted as an outsider and a meatheaded physical freak is no fun as a kid, and the scars go deep.

Only my own mother, but granted she doesn't have a cock.

December 22, 2018, 03:40:29 AM
Reply #2

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, but some shit is pretty cut and dry, especially if you have grown up being close to men of colour or have some in your family

In general ye, alot of racism is pretty cut and dry, but there are others that divide opinion, even amongst people that particular ethnicity/community/clade or whatever else.

This particualr subject isn't cut and dry (i dont think), some people wouldn't think they are the subject of racist abuse if it was said about them, but maybe some do.
I jumped in earlier and said it's not, I was probably being a bit hasty and thinking about people close to me, on reflection I could see how some people could feel uncomfortable with it. Arguably there are links to "beast" "monster" thrown in too.
For example, I dont think saying a black guy has a big cock is racist. However, saying to a mixed race or black girl "I bet your dad has a big cock" I think is 100% racist.

Its a weird one and I think it's more complex than some peopls make out it is.

In general its not something I want to hear, its crude and in bad taste, but equally I wouldn't consider someone a racist if they said it.

Edit: just to add, its 100% being sang becuase he's black. People didn't sing these songs about Dunc, Crouch, Carroll or any other big non black players.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:57:31 AM by Duncs_a_legend »

December 25, 2018, 01:48:56 AM
Reply #3

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Does Soccer AM still have a feature were they ask guests which of their teammates has the biggest cock? Not mentioned in the original article.

Slightly irrelevant to the debate though isn't it. They're not inferring any particular race or nationality has the  biggest cock, they're just asking who has.

December 25, 2018, 02:16:06 AM
Reply #4

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I haven't heard the song. Does it mention Mina's race or just his cock?

Also if Soccer AM is ten years old and the people singing the song are say 20-25 years old it may be that the subject matter is more acceptable to them as they have grown up with it on mainstream tv.

No it doesn't mention his race, but its being sang because of his race.

It probably is that, which is why i said I'd be hesitant to label someone a racist who sang it. If it's brought to light that some black men feel uncomfortable with it or feel racially stereotyped or even racially abused, then its about educating other people so it doesn't carry on.

I initially thought it was PC gone mad, but I've changed my mind on it