July 16, 2019, 05:44:32 AM

Author Topic: Racist chanting  (Read 7057 times)

December 21, 2018, 10:13:52 PM
Read 7057 times

Toddacelli

Well how will they explain this old Everton song?

Big Bob Latch had a 10 foot lash so he showed it to the lady next door
She thought it was a snake so she hit it with a rake
And now it's only 5 foot 4

Oh Christ.

We're in danger here of it now becoming 'it was a racist stereotype to assume the cock thing was because he was black so now Kick It Out are the racists' and we all disappear up our own arseholes.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 22, 2018, 08:58:27 PM
Reply #1

Toddacelli

It brings up the issues of context and intent as well.

I'd like to see those done and dusted with to be honest. Was race mentioned in the song? No. Was the intent to vilify, discredit or reduce the man in any way? No.

However, these things do. So we should just draw a line and say "Ok, we get it, you were doing it tongue in cheek and never meant to hurt anyone but here's the thing - it does. It does hurt people and your 'we were only joshing' type of racism can not only still hurt people - but it gives other people an excuse to go further. So we're drawing a line and saying none of it is acceptable."

On a scale of Wrong, numbered 1-10 - even your 1's and 2's are still Wrong and we won't get rid of the 9's and 10's until we draw the line on all of it. Then people can't bleat about context and intent.

December 22, 2018, 09:58:13 PM
Reply #2

Toddacelli

I'll give you a personal anecdote of something that happened to me recently.

I work for a global company servicing many countries, so most of my coworkers are from all over the world. In my team of 9 I am the only white English person. There are about 100 people where I work.

One of the people I sit next to, let's call him 'G' (because I do!), comes from a small country in Africa called Benin that I had never heard of before I met him.

So one day G comes in moaning about the English weather pissing down and how he cut his hand on his umbrella. Well I thought it was hilarious. Laughing my head off I said "Of course he's cut his hand on his brolly - man's from Benin - he's never seen rain before!"

G got upset at that so I suggested we go chat somewhere private.

When we were alone I said "So how come you can say that in England it's always raining but I can't say that in Africa it never rains?"

He said to me "When you say something like that to me, I don't mind because we're friends. But when you say it in front of everyone I have to shut it down."
"Why?"
"Because if other people think it is ok to say stuff to me about being African, I guarantee one of them at some point will say the wrong thing and then we'll have a big problem."

So I learned something then. G's experience is so different to mine. Yes, there are some things certain people can 'get away with' (or however you want to put it) or put up with in different situations - but if we don't draw that line and say it is all totally unacceptable - people are going to get hurt.

So instead of "Oh it's ok to say that but it's not ok to say this?"

Lets cut out the confusion and just make a stand because that joke you like that you think is 'only mildly racial' - it's holding the door open for some real nasty shit.