October 16, 2019, 09:43:31 AM

Author Topic: Why did you choose to support Everton  (Read 4021 times)

January 02, 2019, 05:10:09 PM
Reply #15

Toffee1

NSNO Subscriber
I. like some others on here, am not from Liverpool, but when I was growing up in the eighties, virtually, everyone I went to school with supported Liverpool. I have never been one to go along with trends and wanted something different.

My old school friend Stephen, always used to wear his Everton replica kits during games afternoons and it was mainly down to him and latterly his dad Tony, who I worked with for a number of years, that I fell in love with Everton and have never looked back.

It is not always easy supporting Everton but there are so many things, such as EITC, that make me so proud of what this club is and stands for. I would obviously want us to be challenging/winning things every year but I do honestly believe that those days are not far off and although it may not seem like it at this juncture, I feel more positive about where we are going than I did this time last year.

January 02, 2019, 05:30:03 PM
Reply #16

boothill

My first game was liverpool v West ham 76 i think with my dad,  he was a red,and i was bored.   2nd was a week later,  with my uncle,  everton v arsenal i think we won 2 nil?  He always wore a royal blue blazer,  he was once called the smartest teddy boy in bootle and was always great fun to be around,  the whole day was magic.  The friendliness,  what we call banter now,  his mates making sure i never fell off the barrier, in fact the whole lot,  it was just amazing.  Think i only ever got that feeling once again with that 2nd title in the 80s

Sent from my FLOW_5 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

January 02, 2019, 05:32:21 PM
Reply #17

dchans

First game I saw was the 84 cup final, blue is my favourite colour and I share my birthday with Big Nev!
Fancy your own online, part time business?  Just PM me for more details...

January 02, 2019, 05:32:49 PM
Reply #18

bluestevie

As most know my dad was a lifelong red, he used to take me to the odd couple of games every season but I never felt fully ingrained in the cult, and he never really forced it on me. Over time my oldest friends began to influence me more to the blue side and I started to pull for us, particularly towards the end of 93/94 with the relegation battle and it's stuck with me since, my uncle took me to my first game in 95 and I was fully hooked and haven't regretted it since.
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

January 02, 2019, 05:40:22 PM
Reply #19

Bingham Boy

I didn't come from a football loving family so had no parental influence. I had only heard of Everton and Liverpool, and Liverpool were winning everything in sight so to me Everton were the underdog.

Anyone can pick a hugely successful team, transfer that success to themselves and say "look at me, my team has won far more trophies than you, therefore I am better than you".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:43:06 PM by Bingham Boy »

January 02, 2019, 06:04:41 PM
Reply #20

School of Science

Followed my dad, he was a blue and my younger brother was to....until he reached the age of 10, he then turn coated to the red shite, which I have never let him forget. He turned three days before the 1974 FA Cup final against Newcastle, due to a lady in the street deciding to throw a street party and only inviting fucking reds fans, I stood firm, my brother went the fucking party!
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

January 02, 2019, 06:16:55 PM
Reply #21

Faceatthefence

Im not from liverpool but had an uncle, and he and his two brothers were home and away Evertonians and he brought me to my first game in 1971.That was it for me and im as passionate about the club as i became 47 years ago.It nearly didnt happen for me though,as my dad who,s still alive is a scouser and massive red along with all his family.He took me in the kop age 9 for a boxing day match in the late sixties,god im really grateful to my extended family for keeping me from lucifer and castle greyskull across the park.My old fella who,s now 85 still ribs me about my colours but i tell him everytime he mentions it, that theres a cure for him with a walk across stanley park.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

January 02, 2019, 06:54:51 PM
Reply #22

Toddacelli

First game I saw was the 84 cup final, blue is my favourite colour and I share my birthday with Big Nev!

You poor bastard - you never stood a chance!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 02, 2019, 07:06:40 PM
Reply #23

BlueForYou

Chicken and egg with me:

Alan Ball or Everton - not sure what came first!

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 02, 2019, 07:27:15 PM
Reply #24

charlatan

Dad was a blue, as was his dad.  My Dad who is now 82, had 3 season tickets, he used to go and take 2 of me and my 3 brothers every game.  Was only 3 but remember vividly Trevor Ross, Martin Dobson, Bob Latchford, Mick Lyons, George Wood, Andy King etc   The dye was cast

January 02, 2019, 07:27:44 PM
Reply #25

74Blue

Dad's side of the family were all passionate blues and mum's side all passionate reds. Visited both grounds regularly as a young kid, and Liverpool were the dominant force in English football. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I always felt at home at Goodison on a way that I could never feel about the games I was taken to at Anfield as a kid. When I was about 9, I knew for certain that the love I felt for Everton was true and I could never feel the same way about the shite across the park. I watched games at Anfield, but never felt the joy that I felt when the net bulged at Goodison. By the time we reached the cup final in 84, I had already told the gobshites who had tried to lead to Satan's pit of eternal delusion that I couldn't do it anymore and I could only follow the righteous path of one who os chosen. That was when I found my true destiny. I had found my true love, a club that made me feel truly euphoric in victory and inconsolable in defeat. I had never felt any emotion at all in the shit-pit, win, lose or draw. Everton was a passion, the red-shite was just a Saturday afternoon watching a meaningless game of football.

January 02, 2019, 07:36:32 PM
Reply #26

Trowel

I ask myself this question most weekends...

Great up in '80s Llandudno - seeing Nev carrying his shopping bags around town was enough to convince me.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

January 02, 2019, 07:46:21 PM
Reply #27

Mayor Farnum

I was actually wearing a liverpool kit when I decided to support Everton. None of my immediate family are the remotest bit interested in football, and neither was I.
For may birthday when I was about six an uncle bought me a liverpool top. I went out into our street to play in this top and a mate of mine asked me how come I supported liverpool. I told him I didn't really, I had just got the kit for my birthday. He told me that him and all his family were Evertonians and they were the bigger club, more history, more supporters, so I supported Everton from then on.
If ever I get my fuckin' hands on that lad......
Something clever written by someone else.

January 02, 2019, 08:52:36 PM
Reply #28

Bluedylan

Dad didn't give me a choice.

Feels like a support group this.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 02, 2019, 09:28:56 PM
Reply #29

Sixx1402

I'm also not from Liverpool (Hull oh dear) and wasn't really that interested in football growing up in the 80's, neither were any of my family.

The first top i got was the white Liverpool away Crown Paints one from sometime around 85/86 when i was about 9 or 10 for someones football birthday party.

Everyone of my friends supported Liverpool and i've always been the type of person to go against what everyone else liked so i got my Panini sticker book out and because my favourite colour was and still is blue, i went for Everton as i also really liked the name, and still do, great name for a football team.

I still wasn't really that interested in football and was also shit at it until the Italia 90 world cup lit a fire under me that has never gone away, which was also around the same time i got ok at football and started playing Sunday League, used to practice on my own after school every day until i was good enough to play properly.

Still have most of the shirts from the early to mid 90's, we've been pretty much shit ever since i've been a supporter but don't regret if for a second. And i love the underdog. When we eventually become good again it will be so much sweeter after all these years of bollocks, experiencing the lows will only make the highs that much better.
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume