October 16, 2019, 09:00:43 AM

Author Topic: Why did you choose to support Everton  (Read 4019 times)

January 02, 2019, 10:43:30 PM
Reply #30

Toddacelli

Why?

Are there other teams?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 02, 2019, 10:53:22 PM
Reply #31

Thornton_19

Everybody on my Mums side abd Dads side of my family support Everton.

Trust me i didnt choose haha

My Granddad is probably the biggest influence on why i support and put up with Everton.

January 02, 2019, 10:55:48 PM
Reply #32

velimski

Glory hunter from the mid 80's.

January 02, 2019, 11:44:57 PM
Reply #33

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
On telly in Denmark in the earlier 70ties.... no glory hunter so probably 71 My father supported Leeds United (gloryhunter) my brother Wolverhampton so I had to choose a team....  Went for the Blue-White-Orange combination (fell in love with the stockings) - never ever regretted thatů My son and daughter are born blues. First manager I remember is Billy Bingham.... people screaming for Silvas head should have been following us in the 70ties and up to Howard Kendall came along - and even he was facing the sack..
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:47:22 PM by Polledreng »

January 02, 2019, 11:59:57 PM
Reply #34

Macca77

January 03, 2019, 12:02:23 AM
Reply #35

chang

7 years old - 1969, won the league didn't we, go with the team at the top, Alan Ball, Alan Whittle, muddy pitches, orange footballs, letters in the corners relating to other games scores....players numbers 1 to 11, you could choose to sit .... those were the days....

January 03, 2019, 12:07:18 AM
Reply #36

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Mostly down to my dad, early schoolmates and my inherent cussedness towards my mum's koppite family. My dad is an Irish blue who moved to Liverpool in 1957 and I was born 3 years later. He was a regular at Goodison back then and played footie with me as a toddler in Sefton Park indoctrinating me in the joys of everything Everton.

We moved back and forth between Dublin and Liverpool for a few years before settling back in north Liverpool. My best mates and team-mates at school in the 60's and early 70's were nearly all blues, and with the likes of the Vision and Alan Ball who else could you support?

My mums family were all koppites but i don't think any of them ever saw the inside of Anfield. They'd tease me mercilessly but that just made me a more determined blue. I was an emotional kid and still have a small scar on my forehead from when I butted a corner of a wall in my grandad's flat after the teasing got too much.

I could say I've suffered for my addiction ever since but then again I've experienced titles, cup wins and the European dream so really, really can't complain!

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

January 03, 2019, 12:11:02 AM
Reply #37

Stumpy

7 years old - 1969, won the league didn't we, go with the team at the top, Alan Ball, Alan Whittle, muddy pitches, orange footballs, letters in the corners relating to other games scores....players numbers 1 to 11, you could choose to sit .... those were the days....

Aye those were the days alright,but you forgot to add in regular 3 oclock kick offs on Saturday afternoons.

January 03, 2019, 12:12:09 AM
Reply #38

BlueNoseMike

Plain and simple my dad is a blue and although he never forced it on me I was always going to be a blue.

I have a son myself (2 in march) and can't wait take him to a game with my dad as well.

Born in 1990 and living in St Helens I've always been in the minority (probably United first due to glory hunting, Liverpool and then us a distant 3rd in my school). It's probably why I can't stand United almost as much (early days of following football I'd rather Liverpool beat man United in games and hope that arsenal would win league. Probably why my favourite non ev player (perhaps just player) is Henry

Most of the lads I go out with now are Liverpool and it'll be unbearable if they win.

Probably not as bad as in Liverpool itself but they're all out of woodwork atm.

Was horrible in the pub for semi final of chbpions league last season and they're all singing.

But wouldn't swap being a blue for anything though.

January 03, 2019, 12:22:42 AM
Reply #39

chang

Aye those were the days alright,but you forgot to add in regular 3 oclock kick offs on Saturday afternoons.

I did, also sitting at the top of the stairs waiting for Match of the Day music, same on a Wednesday, "Sports Night with Coleman"

January 03, 2019, 01:01:02 AM
Reply #40

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Shouldn't the question be 'If you had a choice would you have chosen to support someone else?'

Growing up in the midlands it was obvious that my school friends supported Stoke, Leeds, Man Utd, Villa, Leeds again, West Brom and Motherwell.  Or Atherstone United.

So even if I was given the choice and had supported one of those like them the odds were well in the favour of ending up in a much worse situation than I've endured as a blue, so thankfully I was chosen and the decision made for me and I got to go to Bucharest. Oh.

January 03, 2019, 01:19:55 AM
Reply #41

indiantoffee1975

A 90 minute addiction watching Everton v Watford 84 cup final. An addiction that will never be given up. The rest is history.

January 03, 2019, 01:23:09 AM
Reply #42

BlueForYou

Yes, addiction

Cannot imagine supporting any other team

Never had a second favourite team

Can fall out of love with football, but can never fall out of love with Everton Football Club

In the blood, I guess

RoyalBlue blood
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 03, 2019, 01:26:41 AM
Reply #43

bluenuck

Grand dad is from there and he cheered for Everton. Tried to make his son (my dad) cheer for Everton and then me and my brother... Never happened for my Dad or Brother. It didn't for me as well until around the mid 90's when I saw Duncan Ferguson play. Have been a fan ever since.

January 03, 2019, 01:53:06 AM
Reply #44

D15TIN

Pretty standard for me - family all from Liverpool - dad supports Everton, had a season ticket in the lower gwladys for 40+years now, ive had mine now coming up to 15 years