January 20, 2019, 02:30:59 AM

Author Topic: Real after Pickford  (Read 2781 times)

January 05, 2019, 05:25:38 PM
Reply #45

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

For me he is not great at anything- he's a decent prem league shot stopper but pushes the ball into the danger area, he doesn't command the box as well as he could, he creates anything but calm, he's erratic and often gets beaten from areas you think he shouldn't.

so why are Real wanting him then ?
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

January 05, 2019, 05:26:08 PM
Reply #46

Gash

Global Moderator
That doesn't make sense to me and id say that pickford is still a work in progress.  If someone is prepared to pay full up money we should consider it.

I think the telling thing for me is that pretty much everyone whether they like pickford or not has reservations about him which is not how you should feel about a top class goalkeeper.

For me he is not great at anything- he's a decent prem league shot stopper but pushes the ball into the danger area, he doesn't command the box as well as he could, he creates anything but calm, he's erratic and often gets beaten from areas you think he shouldn't.

What doesn't make sense is you always being the first to have a go at Pickford yet you want to 'go on the cheap' with a goalkeeper, one of the most important positions in the team. Goalkeeper is one of lowest priorities in the squad at the moment, even if we did get a big offer for him. There far more players needing cleared out before we worry about Pickford.

January 05, 2019, 05:58:03 PM
Reply #47

Martip

Potentially off the back of a few good world cup games in a similar way to which we were attracted to mina. You know I was not convinced in him last season and I must admit I'd hoped he'd gone up a level after the England games but he hasn't from what I'm seeing.

Honestly I take everyone's points on board but in my heart just don't see he's that good and even his most ardent fans must surely must admit they have their doubts ?

January 05, 2019, 06:08:17 PM
Reply #48

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Iím not convinced with Pickford myself.

January 05, 2019, 06:09:42 PM
Reply #49

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Potentially off the back of a few good world cup games in a similar way to which we were attracted to mina. You know I was not convinced in him last season and I must admit I'd hoped he'd gone up a level after the England games but he hasn't from what I'm seeing.

Honestly I take everyone's points on board but in my heart just don't see he's that good and even his most ardent fans must surely must admit they have their doubts ?

If you did a bit of research you will know that Mina was on our radar befor3vthe WC - thereís an interview with Brands about it. Also, I doubt a club of Realís stature just Ďgo on a few WCí games.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

January 05, 2019, 06:10:36 PM
Reply #50

Mayor Farnum

To be fair they're probably not.

January 05, 2019, 06:11:42 PM
Reply #51

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Oh and Real Madrid are totally the type of club to throw 50mil around without any thought.

January 05, 2019, 06:33:36 PM
Reply #52

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford is a good keeper. Particularly in the context of the last few years of Howard in decline/Robles/Stek.

I don't think anyone here thinks he is world class. There's obviously better keepers out there. I don't think he'll ever be world class to be honest, if for no other reason than he's a bit too short and unable to compensate for that with reach.

That said though, it's not a position that's a priority for me to improve.

Of course though if we have the opportunity to improve our number 1 (or any other position) we should always look at it.

But let's do that by identifying a target, going after him, then selling Pickford as and when necessary.

Not just by saying yes to the first person that comes waving a big cheque and then hoping we're able to quickly find a suitable replacement.

January 05, 2019, 06:52:02 PM
Reply #53

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
If it was 50m for Pickford with a better replacement lined up then sound, we should always strive to improve, even if its just better potential. But to spend on a worse player and try to convince someone we are going places it's a no
Simply simply lovely

January 05, 2019, 07:02:39 PM
Reply #54

gizzblue

If the shite bought Alisson after putting five past him last year ....can't we give Burnley 100 mill for their keeper just to one up them. :thumbsup:
Born not made a blue .

January 05, 2019, 07:08:26 PM
Reply #55

TheTone

I still havnt got over that Derby fuck up, he makes me nervous, lashing balls out of play and the quick kick outs to noone do my head in too, jury is out for me

January 05, 2019, 07:17:55 PM
Reply #56

Gash

Global Moderator
Iím not convinced with Pickford myself.

He's had two high profile mistakes in quick succession that are still fresh in the mind. I said at the time I think he'll always have that where he'll make a rash decision or a glaring fuck up but what keeper doesn't. Generally when keepers fuck up it leads to a goal, the difference is when Pickford does it we all remember especially in a game like Liverpool because he's our keeper. Look at most of the other top keepers in the league, they've all had fuck ups this season. Loris has had two or three, De Gea came in for a lot of criticism earlier in the season, Alisson's had a couple as had Ederson, they've been lucky enough that usually the team are good enough to recover but in reality Pickford probably doesn't make many more mistakes than any other keeper.

He's a good keeper and better than we've had for a long time and still has plenty time to improve. We talk about buying fairly young, pre peak players yet we have a 24 year old keeper here who after couple of mistakes is having every part of his game analysed. There is doubts but mainly for me the doubt is whether he can ever be up there with the best or just be a really good keeper.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:33:23 PM by Gash »

January 05, 2019, 07:20:14 PM
Reply #57

piggypop

NSNO Subscriber
If the shite bought Alisson after putting five past him last year ....can't we give Burnley 100 mill for their keeper just to one up them.
This is almost like an invitation to compare Pickford and Joe Hart...

January 05, 2019, 07:21:47 PM
Reply #58

ajax_andy

I always see people who've never played keeper pointing out stuff like the 'pushes it in to danger areas' and using it as a stick to bear him with... And at least 75% of the time they have no idea what they're talking about.

Pickford has made a few errors this season yes, but he's still learning and is imo a fantastic keeper who just needs a couple more seasons to iron out those ceases.  What's this? His 3rd season as a first team starter? That's nothing for a keeper.

Selling for £50m and replacing with a Man U reserve is the talk of a lunatic

January 05, 2019, 07:23:07 PM
Reply #59

Tinga

I'd want much more than 50m for Englands number 1