September 19, 2019, 09:15:24 AM

Author Topic: Real after Pickford  (Read 4983 times)

January 06, 2019, 11:45:46 PM
Reply #75

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Yep, actually thought it was a very good save and then it's in the lap of the gods for the rebound
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

January 07, 2019, 01:58:36 AM
Reply #76

MarcusFenix

This is the issue with people's view on him on here, it's like every goal now it's 'could he have done better', when most have no idea about the art of goal keeping.  So now even if it's a slight doubt about something it becomes this self perpetuating issue that everyone suddenly thinks is right.

Kind of along these lines with Pickford and others in the squad, but what bothers me a little bit is the support for our players from us in comparison to the support them lot across the park give.

No matter how good a player is for us there is an element of 'he's shite' from sections of our support whether it be Sigurdsson, Pickford, Tosun, Walcott, Keane etc.....whereas with them all their players are 'world class' ie Henderson, Lovren, Trent Alexander Arnold etc....

Ffs think back to the heady days of Barlow, Madar, Spencer, Tiler
You are my Everton, my only Everton, you make me happy when skies are grey

January 07, 2019, 02:19:53 AM
Reply #77

UnsyisaRhino

I feel like he is one of a number of people who's confidence is now rock bottom after the Liverpool result, and he's been hesitant as a result.

January 07, 2019, 02:48:42 AM
Reply #78

Martip

Kind of along these lines with Pickford and others in the squad, but what bothers me a little bit is the support for our players from us in comparison to the support them lot across the park give.

No matter how good a player is for us there is an element of 'he's shite' from sections of our support whether it be Sigurdsson, Pickford, Tosun, Walcott, Keane etc.....whereas with them all their players are 'world class' ie Henderson, Lovren, Trent Alexander Arnold etc....

Ffs think back to the heady days of Barlow, Madar, Spencer, Tiler
I get what you are Saying but they proper go in on their players too. For example, Henderson is actually public enemy number one for them and not at all popular these days.

It also helps that theyve  been doing rather well When we 've been sinking meaning you'd assume they d have less to moan about.

January 07, 2019, 02:55:33 AM
Reply #79

sam of the south

I get what you are Saying but they proper go in on their players too. For example, Henderson is actually public enemy number one for them and not at all popular these days.

It also helps that theyve  been doing rather well When we 've been sinking meaning you'd assume they d have less to moan about.

I think a few of them on Twatter were wishing cancer on Lovren the other night
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 07, 2019, 03:02:24 AM
Reply #80

KoemansNumberTens

I think regardless of what you think of our players ability and potential wed have to admit that almost all of them have performed under what we hoped and expected this season.

Shite is obviously hyperbolt but almost all have disappointed. Digne, zouma and Richarlison maybe being the only 3 whove exceeded expectations. Its all round disappointing

January 07, 2019, 08:10:30 AM
Reply #81

Jamokachi

What kind of thing would you like taken into account?

I imagine it doesn't take into account things like minute of the 90 or game state but I can't see how that makes a functional difference.

More the quality of the shot opportunity afforded the opposition. I imagine its incredibly hard to asses but put it this way; If 2 keepers face 100 shots each but keeper As shots are all from 5 yards wilts keeper Bs are from 20 then the stats are going to be skewed because of the relative ease of scoring from 5 yards as opposed to 20.

Ya get me, blud?

January 07, 2019, 12:48:28 PM
Reply #82

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

More the quality of the shot opportunity afforded the opposition. I imagine its incredibly hard to asses but put it this way; If 2 keepers face 100 shots each but keeper As shots are all from 5 yards wilts keeper Bs are from 20 then the stats are going to be skewed because of the relative ease of scoring from 5 yards as opposed to 20.

Ya get me, blud?

Think that table is based on that sort of thing.

Hes let in two more goals than he should have done.

Whereas Alisson has let in 7 fewer (eg saving Gomes header, Id imagine).

January 07, 2019, 01:55:02 PM
Reply #83

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Ya get me, blud?

Would you have an issue with the data if Pickford was higher up the table?
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 07, 2019, 01:57:38 PM
Reply #84

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Ya get me, blud?

I do get you, but that is exactly the sort of thing that xg measures.

Some of these models will even go down to post-shot even - level of pressure on the ball, right or wrong foot, etc.

However, this model is purely distance / angle, so its not just a case of a shot on target = a goal he should have conceded, it is a metric for shots that would usually be saved over the course of the season vs shots that generally would go in over the course of the season.

Heres a short explanation on his xg model : https://differentgame.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/a-shooting-model-an-expglanation-and-application/

Does anything in particular stand out to you as untrue, or not matching your eye?

Theres nothing to be worried about in this table I dont think, hes been below par this season, and weve been allowing too many shots against him from too good a position through the year.

If he continues that over a few years, or gets worse, or we reduce the xg against him but he continues to concede from soft areas - we can respond accordingly.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 07, 2019, 02:00:13 PM
Reply #85

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think that table is based on that sort of thing.

Hes let in two more goals than he should have done.

Whereas Alisson has let in 7 fewer (eg saving Gomes header, Id imagine).

If I remember correctly Gomes header was about 0.60 xg.

So ~60% of the time that goes in. Scary to think he actually has to save another one for that to count as 1.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 07, 2019, 03:04:44 PM
Reply #86

Jamokachi

Would you have an issue with the data if Pickford was higher up the table?

I'd raise the point, because these things are never as black and white as the stats make out. If they were why would we even bother watching the games. They add to the sport, but it seems that they're quickly becoming the sport.

It's a moot point anyway, as @GLewis and @brap2 have explained.

January 07, 2019, 03:19:02 PM
Reply #87

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'd raise the point, because these things are never as black and white as the stats make out. If they were why would we even bother watching the games. They add to the sport, but it seems that they're quickly becoming the sport.

It's a moot point anyway, as @GLewis and @brap2 have explained.

Can understand the reticence. Ive mentioned I struggle with this myself. A burgeoning interest in that side of the game with the knowledge that modern, well-run clubs are taking this stuff seriously makes it really hard to get away from - even if sometimes its telling you stuff you dont want to see or is a bit of a spoilsport.

For example the writer of the above table / article, really does not want silva at Everton, doesnt rate him and considers his signing a big mistake.

Im trying to ignore the fact hes been right about basically everything since I started following his work, and hold on to my silva in a multi year project is different to recent years prem silva POV, but its hard.