January 16, 2019, 08:14:53 AM

Author Topic: What sort of player is Tom Davies?  (Read 2711 times)

djws1788 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

January 06, 2019, 03:31:53 AM
Reply #15

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think he’s a talented young player is what he is.

Would like to see him in a settled midfield that was playing well, and not a chaotic one that is constantly in transition either flying forward or scrambling back.

Maybe a loan out if we get someone decent in.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 06, 2019, 04:07:17 AM
Reply #16

Tinga

Doesn't seem creative against a team that sits back like in the majority of our games, although most of our midfield has been like that for nearly a decade now.

January 06, 2019, 04:17:42 AM
Reply #17

Hawkandro

Always thought he looked best as a 10 for us. Looks to make forward passes often, and when he first came into the team he did it well.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

January 06, 2019, 11:25:22 AM
Reply #18

di_guyo

Think a loan would do him good. He plays like a bit of a headless chicken, think he needs first team football to properly develop his footballing brain, because at the moment  it's just not there. Presently, he doesn't have the decision making of a premier league footballer, regardless of whether he has the technical attributes and potential.
Everton & Atleti

January 06, 2019, 01:22:31 PM
Reply #19

Juanito

I think he’s a talented young player is what he is.

Would like to see him in a settled midfield that was playing well, and not a chaotic one that is constantly in transition either flying forward or scrambling back.

Maybe a loan out if we get someone decent in.

I agree. I was thinking if he was at one of the ‘top 6 clubs’ he would be on loan and learning his trade at a lower league club or even abroad. He has played for England at every level and I am sure will come good but any young player who has had to work through Koeman, Sam and now Silva in the space of a few years will have their development impeded as will the team. Osman didn’t come back from loan until he was 24 and then was finally able to demonstrate his worth to the side.  Davies is a player I would love to see at a steady German club in the Bundesliga, rather than the Championship.

January 06, 2019, 03:46:17 PM
Reply #20

BlueForYou

SatNav ready TomTom - the high road to Scotland?

Celtic, reportedly interested
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 06, 2019, 04:07:45 PM
Reply #21

NickNack

SatNav ready TomTom - the high road to Scotland?

Celtic, reportedly interested
hope it’s only a loan if he goes, don’t think we should be letting him go permanently yet.

January 06, 2019, 04:26:09 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

He’s better than what he’s showing now but he’s not at the level we need at present.

I think it’d be a good move to go and get his mojo back in front of neutral fans for a bit so he can relax, grow and develop his game again.

January 06, 2019, 07:27:12 PM
Reply #23

duncandisorderly

Still think he could be a very good player for us. He's not been playing as much recently, and he needs to be playing regularly now to progress and maybe a loan could help. Quick look at the stats shows he's started 9 league games this season, of which we have won 4, drawn 2 and lost 3. 3 Cup games which we have won 2 and lost 1 on pens, so it's hardly been a complete disaster for a young player in and out of the side. Difficult for a quality seasoned player like Gomes to look good in our midfield at the moment let alone someone upcoming like Tom.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

January 06, 2019, 08:24:56 PM
Reply #24

Paddockoldie

He's lacking confidence in his game. That first game arrogance he had against City has gone and I think he's feeling the pressure, similar to Barkley. He's poor in the pass and positional sense and gets caught out too easily. Could do with a loan so he work on his game without the heat of the prem in a developing team.

January 06, 2019, 08:50:05 PM
Reply #25

Dr. Sponge

He’s looking low on confidence lately. He did ok in the run of games he had before Gomes came into the side and being dropped for so long appears to have dented him.

Still not sure what kind of midfielder he is, same with Barkley when he was here incidentally. Although both different kind of players, they clearly have talent but not shining in a particular role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January 06, 2019, 09:58:37 PM
Reply #26

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think one quite sad thing is that we are crying out for a ball hungry, box to box player who can put in work, get on the ball and make something happen driving forward and picking a pass - originally I really thought he was going to be like that. All action midfielder.

If he’d just managed to kick on, he could have cemented his place in the side getting 3000 minutes this year as a key player.

Not to be unfortunately and once we get someone in we should send him somewhere he can learn his game on the pitch.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 06, 2019, 11:59:12 PM
Reply #27

formerKHL

For me he was brought into the first team too early at a time when we were struggling for good midfield players. He was obviously doing the business at his level which not only gave him his England caps but also got him noticed. As he was brought in early his ”development” was all about him trying to prove himself at this level. Thus his “development” stagnates and he continues to play at the level of performance he was brought in at.
 I wouldn’t loan him out but would keep him around the first team squad, learn his trade at that level and help him develop. For me his biggest “issue” is in fact his energy levels he needs to learn to temper his energy levels so that his contribution comes in bursts and is productive....rather than a burst of energy that takes him past the player, the ball and the play and giving silly fouls away. Working with better players at this level should help him improve this and will put more thought and game intelligence into his game.
Just my 2 cents........

January 07, 2019, 03:53:12 AM
Reply #28

kramer0

Hard to say much of anything without seeing him play regularly.

Given the managers we're employing, I think we need to get in the habit of finding good loans for players in his situation. Using young players for cover doesn't really do either side much good. The players' development stalls (regular games are a big factor driving improvement) and the club doesn't learn enough about how the player performs in competitive matches to figure out if they're actually good or not. Right now, it feels the only way we're ever going to end up with a good player from our academy in our first team is if he hits a great run of form one of the times he randomly gets thrown into action and never looks back (which is unlikely -- players like Rooney are rare).

I'm not really a big fan of the loan approach in general (you lose control over what the player learns) but it's way better than keeping players around for key developmental years only to sell them off to lower league clubs for nominal fees or let their contracts expire.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:57:30 AM by kramer0 »

January 07, 2019, 08:15:20 AM
Reply #29

Jamokachi

Catch 22 isn’t it. Loan him out and lose control over his development or play him and deal with cry-arses annoyed that he’s “not at the level we need to be”. Fuck knows how people think players develop. And fuck knows why these kids aren’t finished articles.