August 25, 2019, 03:04:12 AM

Author Topic: [News]Silva agrees with Moshiri on disappointing form  (Read 2191 times)

January 13, 2019, 04:58:38 PM
Reply #30

Martip

Exactly.

Playing the way we have in these games is progress in itself.

Wouldnít surprise me if we get another hammering this season, but the fact weíve been in every game apart from the spurs one is a sign of progress.

As grim as that sounds.

Oh and we were also told by the manager at the time of this result that we couldnít expect anything better.

Might as well mention the United and city games at home where the ground was empty after 60 minutes too
I don't think the issue is as straight forward as this and only using examples of the games vs the big clubs is only telling half of the story.

A bit part of the reason why we 've done slightly better performance wise against the bigger teams is our switch to a counter attacking style (as highlighted by possession and territorial stats against these teams) which although has not yelded points it has been better on the eye.

The problem is that there hasn't been a plan b against the lesser sides and we can't break them down so we need to look at all of the games as a whole. We can't just pick the examples that suit the point we are making.

Against smaller teams we still lack any real control and are still brittle at the back with errors all over the shop despite having brought in 3 defensive players with him at the helm.

January 13, 2019, 05:33:36 PM
Reply #31

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think the issue is as straight forward as this and only using examples of the games vs the big clubs is only telling half of the story.

A bit part of the reason why we 've done slightly better performance wise against the bigger teams is our switch to a counter attacking style (as highlighted by possession and territorial stats against these teams) which although has not yelded points it has been better on the eye.

The problem is that there hasn't been a plan b against the lesser sides and we can't break them down so we need to look at all of the games as a whole. We can't just pick the examples that suit the point we are making.

Against smaller teams we still lack any real control and are still brittle at the back with errors all over the shop despite having brought in 3 defensive players with him at the helm.

Were only really brittle at set pieces, sometimes.

I know thatís still important, obviously, but it can be worked on.

In open play we donít concede that many good chances.

Even in this run weíve shot ourselves in the foot on at least 4 occasions which has either cost points (Lípool, Leicester) or changed the game (City, Spurs).

The issues are, as you say, with possession in the dross home games.

I think that lies with midfield and the subsequent balance of the attackers picked.

I donít think we have the mix of midfielders yet to change that much, so Iím willing to give that time (ie through the summer window and into next season) to see how it goes.

January 13, 2019, 05:48:08 PM
Reply #32

Bob Sacamano

I think itís also worth noting that Silva has managed successfully teams that have opponents that park the bus and also come at you for 90mins. Heís dealt with these two approaches whilst managing abroad - however, heís only had experience of the latter in the Prem, as itís been  pointed out performances against the top sides (spurs aside) give you the feeling that with the right personnel itís only a matter of time before we take points off them.

Now, itís up to Silva to learn and put plans in place to break down the park the bus sides, Brands to deliver on targets, and us to back them until we REALISTICALLY see that itís just not going to work. But by then youíd hope that the club are well on top of that.

January 13, 2019, 07:15:15 PM
Reply #33

Lxxx

Silva was probably duty bound to give Tosun a run, bearing in mind he was fresh through the door for a decent fee and we weren't too flush with cash in the summer.

Tosun has failed himself and Silva by not delivering, or looking like he will consistently, so the manager should get cut some slack to see his plans through a least until we have a striker worthy of the name to sharpen up the last third.

Brands won't have an easy job finding one who is highly rated and willing to come to us while we sit lower mid table so the onus is on us to kick on now in the second half of the season, as best you can without said striker, and build a platform for us re-create the way we played at Anfield on a consistent basis, which was the best I've seen us play in a top game for many years.