July 23, 2019, 02:13:01 AM

Author Topic: How many are good enough?  (Read 12575 times)

February 10, 2019, 06:06:11 AM
Reply #105

Evertonian in NC

Being linked with £80m move to Chelsea in the rags

I would take that in a heartbeat.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 10, 2019, 07:20:59 AM
Reply #106

Hesmenos

I don't think it is just a question of the players not being good enough. In the last 20 days we've lost to the likes of Southampton, Millwall and Watford. How many of their players are good enough? Our problem seems to be that the team ability is way below the ability of the individuals. For whatever reason, whether it is due to the coach, the wrong balance of players, the players just not caring enough. There's no point in just buying more players if we can't figure out a way for them to play better as a team.

February 10, 2019, 02:02:07 PM
Reply #107

Juanito

I think it's really difficult to judge a keeper in a shit team.

Imagine you're Pickford, the next bright young thing, tipped as England's no.1 for the next 10 years and you get a dream move to a big club like Everton.

Next thing you know, you're getting backache and RSI from picking it out of the net because none of the clowns in front of you are offering any protection.

Now you're living with the pressure of a record price tag at a young age in a team where it is practically impossible to keep a clean sheet. It must feel like being shat on every week and being told to act like you like it.

I'm not worried about Pickford. Sort the fucking defence out and he looks potentially world class again.

Flip this the other way round. Imagine you are an experienced central defender who has just defended solidly and then this young, brash, cocky keeper behind you tries to find the left winger with the outside of the boot and gives it to the opposition to mount another attack against you, then you look round at him and he just smirks.

Been said that nothing phases him and he doesnít let mistakes get to him, well, i think they should inform his practice. He reminds me of a young Joe Hart. Talented, impulsive and cocky, yet perhaps thinks he made it before he actually has.

February 10, 2019, 02:11:42 PM
Reply #108

KoemansNumberTens

Is Richarlison good enough?

Kind of feel like reputation and bagging a few goals this year are glossing over some pretty bang average performances, even if he is often out of position.

I think he has great potential but heís been pretty dreadful for quite some time now
Seems to have gone from a real battler with great work rate to someone who spends all his time on the floor now. He needs to understand that thereís no point diving, crying and lying on the floor unless the refs are sympathetic

February 10, 2019, 03:28:04 PM
Reply #109

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Being linked with £80m move to Chelsea in the rags

I'd take that.  We've so many areas that need addressing we'll need the money in the summer.  And if Silva goes he'll want out anyway.

February 10, 2019, 03:36:42 PM
Reply #110

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
GK - Pickford yes but not based on this season, Stekelenburg for a back up maybe and Virginia okay.

RB - Coleman is finished, Kenny is doing ok but we need better.

CB - may not be much to back it up but I like Zouma and think heís worth his place. Keane doesnít look or play with confidence and it shows on the pitch. Mina the jury is out, Jagielka obviously not good enough.

LB - Digne is good enough even though Iíd like it if he linked up better. Baines good but at his age, not a reliable backup.

CM - Gana is good enough but arguably holds us back in how we play. Gomesí dip in form has lasted too long, wouldnít be upset not to sign him. Davies is good back up but not first team quality. McCarthy who knows but unlikely to be a part of this squad and Schneiderlin can get fucked. Sigurdsson we would be better off without.

Wingers - Richarlison is good enough and Bernard is good enough. Walcott has run his race and Lookman isnít taking his chance.

ST - Tosun isnít good enough, just a fact at this point. Not sure heís even good backup. DCL could play off the bench but isnít up to starting.

Good enough for XI - Pickford, Digne, Zouma, Gana, Bernard and Richarlison.

So if Marcel can find a RB, two CBs (if not Zouma), a couple of CMs and a ST then weíll be sound for a starting XI.

Easy.

We're going to have to rely on the likes of Robinson, Williams, Baningime, and Dowell to stick around and fill holes at times next season.  Can't be replacing all those and having to buy squad players too.

February 10, 2019, 04:04:05 PM
Reply #111

eyesalwaysblue

Gomes is probably the biggest victim of Silva's incompetence along with probably Pickford.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

February 10, 2019, 04:19:37 PM
Reply #112

BlueBeagle

Not good enough yet regular starters:
Keane
Coleman
DCL
Walcott

Not shown enough since joining:
Bernard - Poor figures for an attacking player
Mina - Kept out the team by the wet lettuce that is Keane
Gomes - Good start, shite 3 months since

Not suited to our current, ermm, 'system':
Sig
Tosun

Other than that we're laughing...

February 10, 2019, 04:26:15 PM
Reply #113

eyesalwaysblue

Wouldn't know were else to try Sigg, he's like one of them nice little hotel soaps you can't resist nicking, but is totally useless to your life.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

February 10, 2019, 04:28:16 PM
Reply #114

Ramjam

Iím sorry that we didnít pick up a player in the January window now, that might have freshened things up and give us a lift going into the last third of the campaign, donít ask me who though.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

February 11, 2019, 07:00:21 PM
Reply #115

Toddacelli

GK - Pickford yes but not based on this season, Stekelenburg for a back up maybe and Virginia okay.

CB - may not be much to back it up but I like Zouma and think heís worth his place. Keane doesnít look or play with confidence and it shows on the pitch. Mina the jury is out, Jagielka obviously not good enough.

LB - Digne is good enough even though Iíd like it if he linked up better. Baines good but at his age, not a reliable backup.

CM - Gana is good enough but arguably holds us back in how we play. Gomesí dip in form has lasted too long, wouldnít be upset not to sign him. Davies is good back up but not first team quality. McCarthy who knows but unlikely to be a part of this squad and Schneiderlin can get fucked. Sigurdsson we would be better off without.

Wingers - Richarlison is good enough and Bernard is good enough. Walcott has run his race and Lookman isnít taking his chance.

ST - Tosun isnít good enough, just a fact at this point. Not sure heís even good backup. DCL could play off the bench but isnít up to starting.

So if Marcel can find a RB, two CBs (if not Zouma), a couple of CMs and a ST then weíll be sound for a starting XI.

Easy.

Just a whole new spine of the team then.

Sad part is - you're bang on.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

February 11, 2019, 07:21:11 PM
Reply #116

Evertonian in NC

Mina has barely had any match time next to Zouma.  I want to see as much of that as possible when this long break ends.

Perhaps Digne/Zouma/Mina/Kenny will be a workable back line (though we need a mirror image twin of Digne for RB this summer, make it happen Everton Science).

I still would try Siggy at CF because just "what the fuck" at this point.  Stagger him and DCL for the rest of the season.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 11, 2019, 07:59:33 PM
Reply #117

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber

Easy.

That's probably about right. Unfortunately :-(

February 22, 2019, 01:17:52 PM
Reply #118

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Rondon rumours knocking about.

Long time admirer but more in a 'OK we're shit here we need someone to play off' rather than next-step-in-the-big-plan kinda way.

Spurs bid turned down for my man Mitrovic in Jan apparently.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 22, 2019, 01:37:08 PM
Reply #119

Simon Paul

Administrator
Rondon rumours knocking about.

Long time admirer but more in a 'OK we're shit here we need someone to play off' rather than next-step-in-the-big-plan kinda way.

Spurs bid turned down for my man Mitrovic in Jan apparently.
Two seasons ago as foil for Lukaku he would have been perfect