February 17, 2019, 01:20:10 PM

Author Topic: How many are good enough?  (Read 3710 times)

February 02, 2019, 11:38:13 PM
Reply #15

Evertonian in NC

Just to clarify are you saying Pickford is our best player ?

most valuable* to our long-term viability (including current and projected future performance), and list is for "good enough" to be part of next good side we trot out

*yes, I know Zouma is on loan, but for this exercise I included him like he is someone we can/will buy in the summer (which may or may not be true)
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 02, 2019, 11:38:27 PM
Reply #16

Martip

One more year, he could have sold Lookman for peanuts and brought in more "diamonds" like Tosun and Walcott to complete his grand attacking vision!
And we'd have probably still been higher in the league.

February 02, 2019, 11:38:59 PM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
One more year, he could have sold Lookman for peanuts and brought in more "diamonds" like Tosun and Walcott to complete his grand attacking vision!

Yes, not wanting Allardyce as he wouldn’t have done any different had all the issues been solved. Player quality would have dragged performances up not his approach.

February 02, 2019, 11:39:54 PM
Reply #18

BlueBeagle

Unfair to lump Tosun in with that absolute fucking waster Walcott IMO.

Decent goalscorer if you give him a chance.

February 02, 2019, 11:41:15 PM
Reply #19

Martip

most valuable* to our long-term viability (including current and projected future performance), and list is for "good enough" to be part of next good side we trot out

*yes, I know Zouma is on loan, but for this exercise I included him like he is someone we can/will buy in the summer (which may or may not be true)
The way you wrote 'in order' I assumed to mean best player. Surely Richarlison has to be higher than him in the 'good enough' list.

February 02, 2019, 11:42:10 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
And we'd have probably still been higher in the league.

But never been any higher whatever players we signed.

People weren’t happy with “safe” Moyes approach remember.

If you take a gamble on a more attacking approach then you risk more ups and downs.

February 02, 2019, 11:44:59 PM
Reply #21

Evertonian in NC

The way you wrote 'in order' I assumed to mean best player. Surely Richarlison has to be higher than him in the 'good enough' list.

Probably a reflection of my recent irritation with his play.  I forget how young he is, but he needs to put his head down and quit playing almost solely for the whistle.

Apologies, I don't do a very good job explaining myself, most of the time.

/plus, am kind of stupid
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 02, 2019, 11:47:37 PM
Reply #22

Martip

Probably a reflection of my recent irritation with his play.  I forget how young he is, but he needs to put his head down and quit playing almost solely for the whistle.

Apologies, I don't do a very good job explaining myself, most of the time.

/plus, am kind of stupid
He's been annoying recently with his diving and sulking but he's still our biggest asset by a mile.

February 02, 2019, 11:51:43 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Unfair to lump Tosun in with that absolute fucking waster Walcott IMO.

Decent goalscorer if you give him a chance.

Guess we’ll never know then

February 03, 2019, 12:50:23 AM
Reply #24

WeimaranerBlues

The players above mentioned in no particular order, Are way above the rest of the squad.   Any coincidence that they are the players brought in by Marco/Brands.   It's the rest of the squad that needs revamping.  Big Sam for me would not have signed any of the caliber and would have just signed players suited to his style of play and just molded an even more defensive unit.

February 03, 2019, 01:23:46 AM
Reply #25

Macca77

Richarlison does my fucking head in, will be a hell of a player like but needs to stop the constant rolling about now

February 03, 2019, 01:35:26 AM
Reply #26

KoemansNumberTens

Pickford is 1 of the most overrated players in the entire league.
Can’t remember richarlisons last quality performance

Digne, Mina, gueye. Think that’s it. The bigger issue is the likes of Walcott and sigurdsson. Expensive cowards.

February 03, 2019, 03:06:27 AM
Reply #27

Gumpinio

Good enough for what precisely?

To win the league, none of them.

To avoid relegation, most of them.

7th place?  Pickford, Digne, Gueye, Richarlson, Sigurdsson, Bernard and potentially Lookman, Gomes and Zouma.  And I think if had a manager that could organise a defence Keane and Mina might be
"There are no desperate situations, only desperate people."
"When we have lost everything, including hope, life becomes a disgrace, and death a duty"
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

February 03, 2019, 03:08:38 AM
Reply #28

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Richarlison does my fucking head in, will be a hell of a player like but needs to stop the constant rolling about now

Refs need to start getting the card out when players go through him though.

Too many times he gets clattered and it goes unoticed.

February 03, 2019, 03:13:15 AM
Reply #29

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford
Other

Other Mina Zouma Digne
Other Keane Other Other

Other Gomes
Other Davies

Other
Bernard*

Other  Other Richarlison
Other   DCL  Lookman

*Hard to tell where to put Bernard.

Noteable others :

Vlasic
Onyekuru
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.