February 17, 2019, 01:24:02 PM

Author Topic: How many are good enough?  (Read 3711 times)

February 03, 2019, 08:52:15 PM
Reply #60

Lxxx

Some of these posts are laughable

February 03, 2019, 08:55:59 PM
Reply #61

Evertonian in NC

This was always going to be a long, multi-year project.  We'd do well to remember that.

I still can't fathom the Pickford shouts, but ppl gon' ppl.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 03, 2019, 09:01:13 PM
Reply #62

TheTone

Pickford

?      ?    Zouma   Digne

?   Gomes  ?

?     ?    Richarlison

February 03, 2019, 09:07:47 PM
Reply #63

Lxxx

Thereís nothing wrong with Pickford that a few years experience wonít iron out. Heís a good goalkeeper playing for an average team, heís the least of our worries.

February 03, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
Reply #64

WeimaranerBlues

Pickford

?     Mina    Zouma   Digne

?   Gomes  ?

?     ?    Richarlison

with 2 of them being loans , not certain to be here next season , so potentially 8 new players ,

if Zouma and Gomes sign then 3 new players along with 2 loans could come in -   if he gets the funds and still here
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:12:21 PM by WeimaranerBlues »

February 03, 2019, 09:13:51 PM
Reply #65

Evertonian in NC

yeah, 2 of the 5 being loans is troubling, but better than not being here at all.  They can always have their agents leverage for a permanent transfer (as Rom did), if they want to be here.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 03, 2019, 10:07:16 PM
Reply #66

TheTone

with 2 of them being loans , not certain to be here next season , so potentially 8 new players ,

if Zouma and Gomes sign then 3 new players along with 2 loans could come in -   if he gets the funds and still here

All except Pickford are Silva signings too so that's another reason to keep him on and see what he can add in the Summer

February 03, 2019, 10:11:47 PM
Reply #67

Martip

He looked pretty arsed to me like.

Donít know about yourself but Iím more bothered about the quality of players rather than how arsed they look.
We 'll agree to disagree.

Of course more bothered about ability same as anyone else- I ll maintain he's still am average prem keeper until he proves me wrong.

February 03, 2019, 10:18:50 PM
Reply #68

KoemansNumberTens

This was always going to be a long, multi-year project.  We'd do well to remember that.

I still can't fathom the Pickford shouts, but ppl gon' ppl.

Heís stats this season suggest heís been very average. I canít fathom people pretending otherwise

February 03, 2019, 10:20:04 PM
Reply #69

arteta4spain

We can add Gana but I think heíll be gone in the summer. With the amount of players that probably need replacing, itís going to be a while before we can really compete. And how much can we really get for the players that we donít need. McCarthy Schniderlin Niasse Tosun and other periphery players. The recoup will be minimal meaning itíll take more money. Hopefully Brands can find the players to mould into a TEAM. This is crucial. Rather than a group of players. The team needs to be moulded to work. Look at a system that we wan to implement and go from there. I think Silva is trying to find a way with the players heís got and finding it difficult to get the right balance. Suppose there are players that fit the system but arenít good enough.
So he might feel heís damned either way so heís sticking with what he knows and thatíll be his ultimate downfall

February 03, 2019, 10:41:58 PM
Reply #70

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford is potentially very good, but it's hard to really tell isn't it since he's having to pick it out his net every twenty minutes.

I don't think there's any players in that squad that I would be remotely arsed about selling as long as we got an appropriate fee. Weird feeling.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 02:38:34 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 03, 2019, 10:45:25 PM
Reply #71

Lxxx

We've made two pretty big calls in the past two windows, turning down £25m+ bids for two players, Gana and Lookman. At a time when we're told we have to sell to buy. One the likes we'll never see again and the other we're banking on realising his potential and being worth more than that in the long run.

Time will tell I suppose if that £50m might have come in handy, especially if we fail to find homes for the dozen or so other players in the squad who we don't want, which might tie our hands in remodelling the squad further.

February 03, 2019, 10:51:28 PM
Reply #72

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
How many of the recent goals would you expect Pickford to save? Probably none. He's not playing great but he's not the big issue.  Pickford, Digne, Sigurdsson, Richarlison would all be first picks for me. The rest I am not as sure of their ability

February 03, 2019, 10:57:37 PM
Reply #73

Martip

How many of the recent goals would you expect Pickford to save? Probably none. He's not playing great but he's not the big issue.  Pickford, Digne, Sigurdsson, Richarlison would all be first picks for me. The rest I am not as sure of their ability
Could have done better with a couple against Milwall I'd say. I think the key is we are 25 league games in plus cup outings and you can count the number of good games on one hand which the stats seem to back up also. Not good enough and he's not fulfilling this vast potential everyone keeps piping up about.

February 03, 2019, 11:00:25 PM
Reply #74

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Have doubts over Pickford myself.

Been very poor this season and has been consistently near the bottom of the league in terms of saves/goals ratio.

Do think as fans we need to wake up and realise we can massively overate players and be blind to what are some glaring faults.