October 21, 2019, 09:18:12 AM

Author Topic: Pickford  (Read 15084 times)

March 11, 2019, 05:35:21 PM
Reply #15

bigdunc9

Goalkeepers are lunatics. Always have been, always will be.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

He's let his head go away at Newcastle and he's suffered - as has his team. He will know this as much as anyone and he'll learn.

He's a new dad, he's 25, he's a goalkeeper, he's away at his bitterest rivals, and we were 2-0 up early enough on (and he'd "got away" with the penalty thing)

He needs a bollocking for sure but he's a good keeper and he's Everton.
Spot on.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

March 11, 2019, 06:07:36 PM
Reply #16

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not for me I don't think. Could be a nice profit in him if we move him on and invest wisely.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 11, 2019, 06:13:25 PM
Reply #17

Bluenose 91

I think the people saying throw Steklenburg in are forgetting every single shot that goes near him ends up in the net.

Pickford was horrific on Saturday but you'd think he's doing it every game with some of the reaction. Before that when was his last real bad game/mistake?

March 11, 2019, 06:17:11 PM
Reply #18

Evertonian in NC

Goalkeepers are lunatics. Always have been, always will be.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

He's let his head go away at Newcastle and he's suffered - as has his team. He will know this as much as anyone and he'll learn.

He's a new dad, he's 25, he's a goalkeeper, he's away at his bitterest rivals, and we were 2-0 up early enough on (and he'd "got away" with the penalty thing)

He needs a bollocking for sure but he's a good keeper and he's Everton.

Yes.  He wears his heart on his sleeve, which can be a good thing if channeled properly.

The potential is tremendous, he just has to mature and learn.  Also coming down off the "World Cup hero" thing is a challenge (remember Timmy Howard's season after that blinder he played against Belgium?).

In fact, might really do some good for Howard to talk to him (since Howard, in all his comments I've seen, is Everton in his heart for life).

I can't predict the future.  However, I do know that, especially at this stage of the rebuild effort, I'd rather have a keeper with tremendous potential - even with the batshit antics - than a bog standard average keeper.

And be honest with yourselves - THAT is the alternative.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 11, 2019, 06:18:35 PM
Reply #19

Evertonian in NC

I think the people saying throw Steklenburg in are forgetting every single shot that goes near him ends up in the net.

Pickford was horrific on Saturday but you'd think he's doing it every game with some of the reaction. Before that when was his last real bad game/mistake?

He also made some fantastic saves on Saturday, before it went all tits up.

We don't get that point off the Shite without him.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 11, 2019, 06:20:57 PM
Reply #20

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
That's why we need to spend a decent amount of money on a good back up keeper.

He's been poor for most of the season but he's not droppable because of what's behind him.

He's probably hit a comfort zone after the world cup. 
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

March 11, 2019, 06:24:27 PM
Reply #21

KoemansNumberTens

Apparently hes top this season for mistakes leading to goals

March 11, 2019, 06:25:28 PM
Reply #22

BlueBeagle

We don't get that point off the Shite without him.

Maybe not but we get one from the game at Anfield instead without him don't we

March 11, 2019, 06:26:17 PM
Reply #23

Bluenose 91

I think he was really good up until the Derby, like most of them, but obviously it was his big mistake.

Had a few shaky moments since but nowhere near as bad as being made out.

He's 25. He'll be sound.

March 11, 2019, 06:29:44 PM
Reply #24

Evertonian in NC

Maybe not but we get one from the game at Anfield instead without him don't we

That was a total fluke.  Could have happened to anyone.  And he was flawless leading up to that, hard to imagine Stek pitching a shutout at Anfield.

Hell, maybe that fluke is partially why Pickford was so locked in for the home fixture.

Anyway, that World Cup stuff is a lot to deal with, mentally and physically.

Several marquee players who went deep in the Cup had poor starts to their League seasons, and/or have struggled to stay healthy (De Bruyne for example)

March 11, 2019, 06:31:20 PM
Reply #25

Evertonian in NC

That's why we need to spend a decent amount of money on a good back up keeper.

He's been poor for most of the season but he's not droppable because of what's behind him.

He's probably hit a comfort zone after the world cup. 

Not against this at all.  Pickford has played every minute of every Prem match this season.  That's a lot to ask of him, and it's not like Stek is really even cup-usable (if we take them seriously at all).

We'd also be up shit creek if he got injured.

March 11, 2019, 06:32:41 PM
Reply #26

Bluenose 91

Apparently hes top this season for mistakes leading to goals

Just looked and he is yeah, on 4. Two more than De Gea and Allison.

Dunno maybe I'm being over defensive of him but just don't think his form/ability is that big an issue.

March 11, 2019, 06:37:00 PM
Reply #27

BlueBeagle

Could have happened to anyone.

Funny that as I've never seen the like before.

Just face it, he's prone to an absolute clanger on a regular basis.

March 11, 2019, 06:43:13 PM
Reply #28

Ross

Not having this excuse hes a young keeper hes 25 now with 3 seasons in the top flight behind him and over 200 professional games of experience to call on, were not talking about some 21 year old kid whos just forced his way into the team here.

His judgment should be better than we saw Saturday (which was shambolic from the kick off) or during many many other times this season. His problem is he lacks focus because he clearly doesnt lack ability or confidence, all the very best keepers have a composure about them but sadly it looks like hes got none at all.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 11, 2019, 06:43:19 PM
Reply #29

Simon Paul

Administrator
Funny that as I've never seen the like before.

Just face it, he's prone to an absolute clanger on a regular basis.

did you not see the Pepe Reina one in the Goodison derby about 10 years ago?