April 19, 2019, 05:51:34 PM

Author Topic: Race for Europe*  (Read 3293 times)

April 13, 2019, 04:23:46 AM
Reply #45

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I reckon a decent proportion don't want us to qualify for Europe because that would make it a good season overall and that would totally freak them out. Fucking love Europa me.

April 13, 2019, 04:35:31 AM
Reply #46

Shogun

Administrator
Nah I think people who don't want us in the Europa League mostly see it as a) a waste of time or b) that we're not prepared or it and it would hinder us next season.

Obviously we were fucking dreadful in it last time out as well but any chance of europe you've got to take imo. How many teams outside the top 6 and ourselves have actually managed it this decade?
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

April 13, 2019, 04:40:35 AM
Reply #47

Lxxx

The best we can hope for in the present climate is 7th, unless something dramatically changes above us and someone implodes for whatever reason.

So why would we not want to qualify for the Europa League this season when that is the realistic height of our immediate ambitions anyway?

Bonkers. Letís get in, build some momentum around the club again and let Brands and Silva worry about how we handle it.

April 13, 2019, 05:18:56 AM
Reply #48

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
The best we can hope for in the present climate is 7th, unless something dramatically changes above us and someone implodes for whatever reason.

So why would we not want to qualify for the Europa League this season when that is the realistic height of our immediate ambitions anyway?

Bonkers. Letís get in, build some momentum around the club again and let Brands and Silva worry about how we handle it.

I guess it depends whether you view the Europa League as the height of our ambitions. Possibly you could say what the owner is reaching for is a top 4 spot. Maybe you'd say that is unrealistic, however if that is the goal then there is an argument to say unless the squad depth improves that there would be a greater chance of finishing in those positions without having to compete in another cup competition.

I don't mind the EL, I love watching us play more games in general BUT I do think we have to get the base right before we start on the icing. The PL is our most important competition, if we're getting it right there then we have a far greater shot at winning or getting into the latter stages of a cup IMO. For large parts of this season, we've not looked ready to compete in every game we go into in the PL, in other words we've not been consistent. IF we can get to a consistent level of performance then I'd be far more interested in us competing in Europe, otherwise I feel we're stretching ourselves too thin and not doing our best in any competition which in the long term doesn't help us.

April 13, 2019, 05:48:45 AM
Reply #49

Outworlder47

Obviously we were fucking dreadful in it last time out as well but any chance of europe you've got to take imo. How many teams outside the top 6 and ourselves have actually managed it this decade?

Through league finish? Burnley, Southampton twice, West Ham, Newcastle, Villa.

Others: West Ham again (Fair Play route, they finished 12th), Hull (16th/FA Cup runner up), Swansea (9th/FA Cup winner), Wigan (18th/League Cup winner), Fulham (8th/Fair Play), Stoke (13th/FA Cup runner up), Birmingham (18th/League Cup winner).

April 13, 2019, 05:58:25 AM
Reply #50

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I have quite high expectations for the next couple of years.

I think the 7th best club in the Premier league with resources like ours and a good window behind them should be able to manage europa qualifiers.

Europa represents progress and we need to progress.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 13, 2019, 06:34:02 AM
Reply #51

Ross

Itís Everton for fucks sake the most likely thing to happen is Teresa May gets her deal through parliament and we get banned from Europe again.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 13, 2019, 06:54:01 AM
Reply #52

Robber Rodwell

I would love to win anything to be honest.  The memory of the 1995 FA Cup seems a lifetime ago.

April 13, 2019, 10:13:06 AM
Reply #53

blue1948

I guess it depends whether you view the Europa League as the height of our ambitions. Possibly you could say what the owner is reaching for is a top 4 spot. Maybe you'd say that is unrealistic, however if that is the goal then there is an argument to say unless the squad depth improves that there would be a greater chance of finishing in those positions without having to compete in another cup competition.

I don't mind the EL, I love watching us play more games in general BUT I do think we have to get the base right before we start on the icing. The PL is our most important competition, if we're getting it right there then we have a far greater shot at winning or getting into the latter stages of a cup IMO. For large parts of this season, we've not looked ready to compete in every game we go into in the PL, in other words we've not been consistent. IF we can get to a consistent level of performance then I'd be far more interested in us competing in Europe, otherwise I feel we're stretching ourselves too thin and not doing our best in any competition which in the long term doesn't help us.
My argument with that is you want us to be so good before we take Europe on ,that won't help with either recruitment or development .OK if we were to bomb it again that doesn't help I agree but we would be more the wiser after last time -which was with a different manager , DoF and by then most of the players .I am in the "if you don't play you can't win " boat.

April 13, 2019, 12:35:11 PM
Reply #54

Bluedylan

Genuinely donít comprehend the argument(s) for not wanting to get into Europe at any/every opportunity.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

April 13, 2019, 01:59:26 PM
Reply #55

van der Meyde

Weíve not been in Europe this season and weíre still likely to end 15-20 points behind the top 4 though.

Thereís some truth in the idea that being in Europa can hurt league performance, but the main reason in England is usually that the teamís that qualify havenít actually been that good. Were we poor last season because of Europa? Maybe it didnít help but Iíd argue that it was much more likely to be because weíd lost Lukaku whoíd just notched 25 goals without adequately replacing him.

If we want to bridge the gap between us and the top 4, we mainly need better first choice players. Consistent Europa finishes is more likely to help that than hinder.

April 13, 2019, 02:05:16 PM
Reply #56

van der Meyde

Genuinely donít comprehend the argument(s) for not wanting to get into Europe at any/every opportunity.
I think thereís merit in the idea that for Silva to implement his ideas fully, a full preseason with early recruitment (and most of the players not off playing in tournaments) would help.

The last 6 games have been good, but over the season as a whole weíve struggled a bit against teams who sit back and keep it tight. More time on the training pitch might help with that (and of course set pieces).

April 13, 2019, 02:08:48 PM
Reply #57

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I think thereís merit in the idea that for Silva to implement his ideas fully, a full preseason with early recruitment (and most of the players not off playing in tournaments) would help.

The last 6 games have been good, but over the season as a whole weíve struggled a bit against teams who sit back and keep it tight. More time on the training pitch might help with that (and of course set pieces).

I think that the early qualifying games of the Europa League would be better pre season games than playing Morecambe and second division Scottish teams etc. 

April 13, 2019, 02:11:26 PM
Reply #58

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yes for me, itís not really logical to expect to go from 8th and all the performance issues that more than likely entails, to then go to 4th, be able to cope with a CL campaign AND then be good enough to finish in the top 4 again.

Spurs were in the EL for a number of seasons and were then able to more easily make the step up.

April 13, 2019, 02:19:12 PM
Reply #59

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
7 th place may well be decided on goal difference, we need to start putting this chances away, this afternoon would be a good opportunity.