October 19, 2019, 04:19:37 PM

Author Topic: Race for Europe*  (Read 14952 times)

April 13, 2019, 02:43:07 PM
Reply #60

Macca77

Everton football club - the best of the rest

Cringe

April 13, 2019, 02:52:40 PM
Reply #61

van der Meyde

I think that the early qualifying games of the Europa League would be better pre season games than playing Morecambe and second division Scottish teams etc. 
I tend to agree, but also not sure managers would? They might say that there’s too much intensity in them compared to normal preseason matches or that preparations are disrupted by travelling to far flung places? I honestly don’t know really.

April 13, 2019, 03:00:03 PM
Reply #62

blue1948

Yes for me, it’s not really logical to expect to go from 8th and all the performance issues that more than likely entails, to then go to 4th, be able to cope with a CL campaign AND then be good enough to finish in the top 4 again.

Spurs were in the EL for a number of seasons and were then able to more easily make the step up.

But no one is saying that really ,are they? We just want to play in Europe to gain experience and attract better players .

April 13, 2019, 03:22:25 PM
Reply #63

indiantoffee1975

Lets not forget we got to the quarter finals only to be knocked out on pens. I'd love to see an Everton side getting to the latter stages of the competition again and possibly winning it.

We probably will need extra quality in numbers over the summer if we finish 7th to rotate players around. Plus this competition gives greater exposure to the younger players like DCL, Davies and Kenny and will develop there game further.

Moyes gave us hope in this competition and to repeat nights like that to go on and do even better.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:24:45 PM by indiantoffee1975 »

April 13, 2019, 03:35:22 PM
Reply #64

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
But no one is saying that really ,are they? We just want to play in Europe to gain experience and attract better players .

No but that’s the reality of “not qualifying now so we’re better in the league next season”.

As said, to what end.

But yes, at the end of the day we should be playing in Europe and trying to win something.

April 13, 2019, 04:10:38 PM
Reply #65

Dr. Sponge

Genuinely don't comprehend the argument(s) for not wanting to get into Europe at any/every opportunity.

I think it’s an old opinion that’s stuck from when we had ambitions of top 4 and a huge CL qualifying cash prize etc. A long Europa League campaign hinders league form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April 13, 2019, 06:52:29 PM
Reply #66

Cereal Killer

Squad depth?

We can already throw some class starting lineups together....

Virginia
Kenny Holgate Penn Baines
      Baningme Davies
Onyekuru Dowell Lookman
                DCL

Or maybe

Stek
Kenny Jags Besic Garbutt
      Schneids McCarthy
Mirallas    Walcott     Bolasie
             Niasse

April 13, 2019, 06:59:32 PM
Reply #67

WeimaranerBlues

Squad depth?

We can already throw some class starting

lineups together....

Virginia
Kenny Holgate Penn Baines
      Baningme Davies
Onyekuru Dowell Lookman
                DCL

Or maybe

Stek
Kenny Jags Besic Garbutt
      Schneids McCarthy
Mirallas    Walcott     Bolasie
             Niasse

But unfair putting Jags in that 2nd team. Lol

April 13, 2019, 07:05:51 PM
Reply #68

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
We’ve not been in Europe this season and we’re still likely to end 15-20 points behind the top 4 though.

There’s some truth in the idea that being in Europa can hurt league performance, but the main reason in England is usually that the team’s that qualify haven’t actually been that good. Were we poor last season because of Europa? Maybe it didn’t help but I’d argue that it was much more likely to be because we’d lost Lukaku who’d just notched 25 goals without adequately replacing him.

If we want to bridge the gap between us and the top 4, we mainly need better first choice players. Consistent Europa finishes is more likely to help that than hinder.

That’s my point though in a roundabout way. I just want the team and manager be in a place where we’re reasonably competitive.

Then I don’t care what competition we’re in.

I think you can and ideally IMO should get there without needing the EL to attract players, money speaks louder than the EL at this point and we’ve shown last summer we can attract better calibre players without EL football.

Our best run of late in the competition was under Moyes when he had established a way of playing and we had a team that was the best of the rest of the top teams, rather than being the best of the also rans in the PL.

That’s how I think we should be approaching the EL, not as something we limp into by default with a squad of players that aren’t of the right quality, but as a next step in proving ourselves when we are ready for another challenge.

April 13, 2019, 07:22:44 PM
Reply #69

74Blue

That’s my point though in a roundabout way. I just want the team and manager be in a place where we’re reasonably competitive.

Then I don’t care what competition we’re in.

I think you can and ideally IMO should get there without needing the EL to attract players, money speaks louder than the EL at this point and we’ve shown last summer we can attract better calibre players without EL football.

Our best run of late in the competition was under Moyes when he had established a way of playing and we had a team that was the best of the rest of the top teams, rather than being the best of the also rans in the PL.

That’s how I think we should be approaching the EL, not as something we limp into by default with a squad of players that aren’t of the right quality, but as a next step in proving ourselves when we are ready for another challenge.
The money is there to attract the players, but the opportunity to play in a European competition is another reason for a player to come to Everton over a Newcastle or a West Ham.
Being a regular fixture in Europe also gives existing squad members a little less reason to agitate for a move, as there are plenty of extra opportunities to get minutes on the pitch.
I'd never turn down the opportunity to be in the Europa League. I even think that you can use the earlier start to the season to your advantage if you are clever about it. View the early rounds as part of your pre-season and you are getting a couple of meaningful competitive fixtures under your belt before the PL season starts. Give some of the fringe players an opportunity to stake their claim for a place in the first team squad.
We should really be beating some of the shite in the qualifying rounds of the EL quite comfortably, without necessarily having to put out our strongest XI. That is where the opportunity is for the likes of Lookman, Kenny, Dowell, Holgate etc to show that they've got what it takes to be an integral part of the first team squad for the season ahead by comfortably despatching some of the European minnows in July.

April 13, 2019, 11:47:31 PM
Reply #70

Mac934

Well, the weekends results for 7 th all went our way, until we fucked it up at Fulham. Typical!!

April 13, 2019, 11:55:00 PM
Reply #71

Cereal Killer

Why ruin a perfectly good summer break? Nice holiday with the lads/family, spot of golf, take in some other big sporting events as VIP..... or come back to work early to travel to Kazakhstan to play some qualifiers in July?

April 13, 2019, 11:56:33 PM
Reply #72

gizzblue

Always when the stars align for us ...we end up fucking ourselves royal .

Just don't see it now this year for us.
Born not made a blue .

April 14, 2019, 12:39:00 AM
Reply #73

bigdunc9

I think 3 wins could see us get 7th. However that means beating man United or spurs

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

April 14, 2019, 02:45:16 AM
Reply #74

Mayor Farnum

Everton football club - the best of the rest

Cringe

The first tentative steps in the cover design of our end of season video.
Something clever written by someone else.