November 12, 2019, 06:45:34 AM

Author Topic: Summer Wishes  (Read 145002 times)

May 15, 2019, 12:46:37 AM
Reply #225

Toddacelli

Wait do people really think we'll be challenging top 6 next year?

Confident of us getting close to upper 60s points, those above us falling off, those around us falling off, or all of the above?

I'll be surprised if we are and think it will probably be due to teams above collapsing if anything. I think it's going to get tougher in the middle because mid-table teams are attracting fairly decent players these days and if we're close to the top teams it will be because they've dropped points at Watford, Burnley, Wolves, Leicester, us etc

I think we're in for another season like this one to be honest:

Decent patch, poor patch, things coming together and looking good by the end of the season.

If it goes according to plan though, our decent patch will be longer, our poor patch will be shorter and our upward trajectory at the end should start earlier (I want to say 'and go higher' but that would be unrealistic because of how well we did this year in the last 10-12 games or so).

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 15, 2019, 01:04:52 AM
Reply #226

BlueForYou

We have to shrug off this 7th mentality

70+ points!
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

May 15, 2019, 03:46:55 PM
Reply #227

Trowel

My summer wish is for the "Most liked messages from the last week" to be from the last week.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

May 15, 2019, 10:10:17 PM
Reply #228

Evertonian in NC

If we manage to keep Gomes and Zouma plus add another 3 players (RB, Striker and another midfielder) I think we challenge for 6th, but if it's a case of not tying down loan players and bedding in replacements we bring in then I see it being similar to the season gone, and maybe a marginal points increase and finishing 7th.

Alot will depend on Chelsea's ban being uplifted. Utd will improve there squad next season and improve on 66 points total, players will still go there, it's a global brand and a top 3 club in world football despite their recent downfall over the last 5-6 seasons.

My United supporting friends seem to think the overhaul will take anywhere from 3-5 years.  Supposedly a lot of internal rot/chaos.

I hope they're right!
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 15, 2019, 11:10:22 PM
Reply #229

74Blue

My United supporting friends seem to think the overhaul will take anywhere from 3-5 years.  Supposedly a lot of internal rot/chaos.

I hope they're right!
When you've got the likes of Alexis Sanchez earning silly money, finding a big enough mug to take that contract on is a mammoth task. It could take them a good few years to get some of the really big earning flops off the books, taking a massive financial hit in the process. Rven a club the size of United is not a bottomless pit of cash to burn. Some of the shite that they have on massive contracts will hamper their ability to spend really big on the right players to put the mess right. Even then, when you are shopping at the upper end of the market to compete at the very top, you still need to bring in a few "roll your sleeves up and get stuck in" players to get you out of shit. I don't really see too many water carriers at Utd, just sulky overpaid pruma donnas.

May 16, 2019, 12:07:13 AM
Reply #230

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Re : top 6 next year

Take look at the attached. Contrary to the belief that the prem is getting stronger, what is actually happening is that with the benefit of FFP, the rich clubs have been able to remove the ladder and take more and more points from those below.

Top 6-7 positions are stronger points wise, almost everybody else is spiralling. Those monster 90+ seasons have to come from somewhere.

So I don't think next year represents a chance at top 6, I think it might actually mean it's going to take 65-70 points to get 7th.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 16, 2019, 01:32:35 AM
Reply #231

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Thats always what was going to happen with FFP.

6th next season could need anything from 65-75 points.  7th could need similar.  8th 60-70.

And thats not something we should shy away from.

May 16, 2019, 03:51:10 AM
Reply #232

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Thats always what was going to happen with FFP.

6th next season could need anything from 65-75 points.  7th could need similar.  8th 60-70.

And thats not something we should shy away from.

I suppose. Someone's got to fucking get it haven't they!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 16, 2019, 07:11:45 AM
Reply #233

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

Take look at the attached. Contrary to the belief that the prem is getting stronger, what is actually happening is that with the benefit of FFP, the rich clubs have been able to remove the ladder and take more and more points from those below.

Top 6-7 positions are stronger points wise, almost everybody else is spiralling. Those monster 90+ seasons have to come from somewhere.

So I don't think next year represents a chance at top 6, I think it might actually mean it's going to take 65-70 points to get 7th.

That’s a cool table.

Even more so as it demonstrates how fucking beautiful it is that the shite didn’t win the title this season. The third highest ever points total. And the biggest points outlier of any club, ever.

May 16, 2019, 12:48:29 PM
Reply #234

stirlingblue

Just shows you how redundant the ‘40 points for safety’ trope is now, seems like the bottom three are usually on 35 or less points nowadays.

May 16, 2019, 01:25:32 PM
Reply #235

Macca77

The transfer window is now open

May 16, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
Reply #236

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber

That's a pretty strong correlation, but arguably helps Everton. The positive correlation starts from 7th upwards, which is our average finishing position over the past 15 years (7.26).

It means that we are getting stronger and more likely to stay in the league, and makes it harder for the others to catch up. It also makes it easier for us given the resources and squad we now have.

What we need to do is steepen that 7th curve again by accumulating more points, and don't worry too much about what is going on ahead of us. Soon enough, we will break the top 6, I have no doubt.

May 16, 2019, 07:34:06 PM
Reply #237

Mayor Farnum

So FFP looks like one of the few things in football that is doing what it was designed to do.
Something clever written by someone else.

May 16, 2019, 08:06:39 PM
Reply #238

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That's a pretty strong correlation, but arguably helps Everton. The positive correlation starts from 7th upwards, which is our average finishing position over the past 15 years (7.26).

It means that we are getting stronger and more likely to stay in the league, and makes it harder for the others to catch up. It also makes it easier for us given the resources and squad we now have.

What we need to do is steepen that 7th curve again by accumulating more points, and don't worry too much about what is going on ahead of us. Soon enough, we will break the top 6, I have no doubt.

I like this angle deffo but I'm not sure we're strong enough in that 7th place.

Challenges will be to beat all the crap home and as much as possible away, get the odd result against the teams better than us, and finally to make sure there is a gap in quality and performance between us, and 8th - 12th, which I think will be the big deciding factor next year.

May 16, 2019, 08:10:56 PM
Reply #239

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
I like this angle deffo but I'm not sure we're strong enough in that 7th place.

Challenges will be to beat all the crap home and as much as possible away, get the odd result against the teams better than us, and finally to make sure there is a gap in quality and performance between us, and 8th - 12th, which I think will be the big deciding factor next year.

Home performances need to be more consistent next year. I think we have generally been good away from home, even if results haven't shown it, but any improvement in league position will be dictated by winning the majority at Goodison.