November 12, 2019, 07:06:09 AM

Author Topic: Freddy Starr....gone but never forgotten  (Read 1599 times)

May 10, 2019, 09:11:38 PM
Read 1599 times

MexicanToffee

“He loved Everton, he loved being back at Goodison Park. He always said it was like going to church.”

May 10, 2019, 09:32:02 PM
Reply #1

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Remember standing next to him outside Goodison once in the mid-70s. He looked like he was in his 60''s then! Had a face that looked as if it had seen life.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

May 10, 2019, 09:51:12 PM
Reply #2

Alanvideo

He lived in Spain for quite a while .my mate fitted air-con for him about 20 years ago. He was very low profile ,never saw him out and about.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 11, 2019, 12:17:23 PM
Reply #3

blue1948

He was a real funny guy but no one could handle him .A loose cannon is right .One of a few comedians who really made my sides ache.

May 11, 2019, 12:40:31 PM
Reply #4

Paddockoldie

A sad and tragic end for a great comedian who's characters were clever even back then. The football match with Ironside in goal stands out. RIP Blue

May 11, 2019, 03:21:00 PM
Reply #5

BlueMaquis

A sad and tragic end for a great comedian who's characters were clever even back then. The football match with Ironside in goal stands out. RIP Blue

Why do you say tragic? Apparently there was nothing suspicious about it, and everyone dies. No one can say they didn't expect their own death.

May 11, 2019, 03:27:10 PM
Reply #6

Paddockoldie

Why do you say tragic? Apparently there was nothing suspicious about it, and everyone dies. No one can say they didn't expect their own death.

It's tragic how he ended up depressed from the allegations of child abuse from the Saville inquiry. He ended up with debts from legal costs and died in his chair, alone, in poor health.. I'd say that's a tragic ending. I don't really mind if you or others don't.

May 11, 2019, 03:30:26 PM
Reply #7

BlueMaquis

It's tragic how he ended up depressed from the allegations of child abuse from the Saville inquiry. He ended up with debts from legal costs and died in his chair, alone, in poor health.. I'd say that's a tragic ending. I don't really mind if you or others don't.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of all that. Though I'd say it's a good example to others that fame and money guarantees you nothing in life, so focus on more important things.

May 11, 2019, 03:43:57 PM
Reply #8

Macca77

His Vincent sketch is genius

May 11, 2019, 05:22:56 PM
Reply #9

Mayor Farnum

I never really liked his humour but that's just a matter of taste.
A big blue who lived his life doing what he loved. RIP.
Something clever written by someone else.

May 11, 2019, 06:45:50 PM
Reply #10

Bally

Administrator
His Vincent sketch is genius
Posted that on Facebook
One of my favourite comedy pieces

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

It's the roll I way

May 11, 2019, 06:48:26 PM
Reply #11

Mac934

Was my favourite comedian, and a blue.
He never recovered from the Saville episode.
Plus, his comedy was frowned upon in the PC ranks. Just watch his Audience With programs and you will see how much he was loved.
Rest in Peace Freddie. :hail:

May 11, 2019, 07:06:05 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

Good chance he was a bit of a wrong'un though eh? Investigated as part of Yewtree, but insufficient evidence and then sued for libel for the accusation, and the judge ruled that the accusation was credible and that he did grope a school girl in Saville's dressing room. If he knocked about with Saville and there's multiple accusations against him, people can make their own minds up.

Also, there were 14 different claimants against him.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

May 11, 2019, 10:30:22 PM
Reply #13

Simon Paul

Administrator
Good chance he was a bit of a wrong'un though eh? Investigated as part of Yewtree, but insufficient evidence and then sued for libel for the accusation, and the judge ruled that the accusation was credible and that he did grope a school girl in Saville's dressing room. If he knocked about with Saville and there's multiple accusations against him, people can make their own minds up.

Also, there were 14 different claimants against him.
Yeah he wasn't prosecuted as the balance of probability wasn't high enough for criminal law, but he failed to secure a civil action against her because it was high enough to satisfy civil law that he'd touched her up

Reckon most of them from that era were at it, which sounds like it's making excuses but it's actually just saying it was a generation of old men who liked to touch underage girls.

May 12, 2019, 12:09:07 AM
Reply #14

BlueForYou

Remember him being in the Everton hotel for the 1984 FA Cup Final

The players used to call Andy Gray and Peter Reid "Freddie One" and Freddie Two"!

RIP StarrMan
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick