December 09, 2019, 09:33:59 PM

Author Topic: Boa Morte  (Read 7833 times)

June 06, 2019, 08:21:59 PM
Reply #60

Macca77

Surely a DOF should have very little say in who a manager wants as his assistant, and rightly so.

June 06, 2019, 08:23:08 PM
Reply #61

Evertonian in NC

I am not taking an optimistic position by default though. I haven't even commented on it, until now. I'm taking a neutral position by default because we genuinely don't know anything about the appointment, good or bad.

Would I expect the manager to have more of a say in his own assistant than the DoF? Yes, I would. That makes absolute sense and if anything, it would be very weird to impose someone that the manager doesn't know/want on him.

I doubt he's been hired for 'Prem knowledge' personally, whatever that means (I know you didn't come up with that, you're just responding to it). It's not the 1950s. The Prem is very cosmopolitan, ideas and tactics are international, and there are very few secrets or league-specific factors that would warrant hiring someone with 'Prem knowledge'.

Speaking English and understanding the way English clubs generally operate is probably an advantage to some extent, but overall I'd assume the main criteria are the obvious ones (being tactically aligned with the coach, being a good communicator, being a good motivator, being a good judge of character/ability, improving players).

Agree completely.  I think that with the lack of matches to distract us (the South American Euros can't start soon enough for me), and waiting for the transfer market to develop - we are just being overly dramatic about minutae.  Human nature, I suppose.  That's why I am a recluse.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

June 06, 2019, 08:30:23 PM
Reply #62

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Surely a DOF should have very little say in who a manager wants as his assistant, and rightly so.

I thought the remit was to have overall control over the football side of the business and to be the managers immediate boss?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 06, 2019, 08:46:26 PM
Reply #63

Macca77

I thought the remit was to have overall control over the football side of the business and to be the managers immediate boss?

In theory yes, but not when it comes to who the manager wants to work with, surely? Pretty sure many discussions between Brands and Silva have been had about it, but ultimately it should be the managers decision.

June 06, 2019, 08:48:38 PM
Reply #64

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I am not taking an optimistic position by default though. I haven't even commented on it, until now. I'm taking a neutral position by default because we genuinely don't know anything about the appointment, good or bad.

Would I expect the manager to have more of a say in his own assistant than the DoF? Yes, I would. That makes absolute sense and if anything, it would be very weird to impose someone that the manager doesn't know/want on him.

I doubt he's been hired for 'Prem knowledge' personally, whatever that means (I know you didn't come up with that, you're just responding to it). It's not the 1950s. The Prem is very cosmopolitan, ideas and tactics are international, and there are very few secrets or league-specific factors that would warrant hiring someone with 'Prem knowledge'.

Speaking English and understanding the way English clubs generally operate is probably an advantage to some extent, but overall I'd assume the main criteria are the obvious ones (being tactically aligned with the coach, being a good communicator, being a good motivator, being a good judge of character/ability, improving players).

That's all very fair I have to say. And I agree the manager should have a big say in his DOF.

Slightly disagree on the league specific stuff, there are nuances of tactics and culture and player types I'm sure but God knows what is important and what isn't!

Again LBM might be the very best for the job, I hope he is. But my position remains that silva has hired his mate and that is a red flag for me.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 06, 2019, 08:56:13 PM
Reply #65

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
My point is that he was chosen by the manager and not the DOF, the telegraph even says they are mates.

I trust the manager less than I trust brands, so to me this looks like more of the same old Everton behaviour rather than nothing being the same (tm).

Do I need anything more to back up beyond that the above has given me cause for concern?

By the same token, what is it about the decision you like, beyond that they're mates?

The manager picks who he wants to work with. Donít know if Iím missing something here but what clubs out there let the director of football choose the assistant manager?

You donít need to back it up more, i just think your concerns arenít really valid, and smack of creating a narrative.

Oh Iíve offered no opinion on whether I like this appointment or not. I take issue with your stance that this is Ďlazyí, your insinuation that Silva has just picked him because theyíre mates, and your insistence that the director of football should pick the assistant manager and not the fella that has to work with him on a daily basis.

Iíd be happy if you could provide examples of a director of football hiring an assistant with the input of the manager though.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

June 06, 2019, 09:09:01 PM
Reply #66

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The manager picks who he wants to work with. Donít know if Iím missing something here but what clubs out there let the director of football choose the assistant manager?

You donít need to back it up more, i just think your concerns arenít really valid, and smack of creating a narrative.

Oh Iíve offered no opinion on whether I like this appointment or not. I take issue with your stance that this is Ďlazyí, your insinuation that Silva has just picked him because theyíre mates, and your insistence that the director of football should pick the assistant manager and not the fella that has to work with him on a daily basis.

Iíd be happy if you could provide examples of a director of football hiring an assistant with the input of the manager though.

Does he?

I personally don't know who picks the hires where.

I would have thought that the DOF would be heavily involved yes (and he may have been here) but again I don't know really.

Wouldn't even know where to get those examples from.

Looked at his career as a coach a bit, no idea how to find the league positions for the third division in Portugal but maccabi haifa came second to be fair. Wonder what sort of footy they play.

June 06, 2019, 09:23:42 PM
Reply #67

van der Meyde

As much as I'm pro-Brands driving the train while Silva does little more than coach/manage the side, it's not really realistic to expect Brands to appoint the assistant manager.

Klopp started off at Liverpool with his mate from his Mainz and Dortmund days. Guardiola went to Bayern with his mates from his Barcelona days. Pochettino's got all his mates from Espanyol and Southampton involved. Et cetera, et cetera.

You can't take the manager out of every decision and sometimes a decision just isn't that important. Who the manager trusts as his assistant manager is probably one of them.

June 06, 2019, 09:43:32 PM
Reply #68

D15TIN

Yeah assistant manager choice I would imagine would be totally silvas, will probably have to check it over with the likes of brands though, who probably wouldn't stand in the way

June 06, 2019, 10:45:18 PM
Reply #69

van der Meyde

It would be much more concerning if Silva was having a big say in scouting and analyst appointments (and maybe fitness/conditioning too).

Theyíre positions where continuity, institutional knowledge etc feel much more important.

June 06, 2019, 11:29:19 PM
Reply #70

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It would be much more concerning if Silva was having a big say in scouting and analyst appointments (and maybe fitness/conditioning too).

Theyíre positions where continuity, institutional knowledge etc feel much more important.

Continuity a good point, I guess if/when silva goes his staff goes too.

June 06, 2019, 11:44:27 PM
Reply #71

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Does he?

I personally don't know who picks the hires where.

I would have thought that the DOF would be heavily involved yes (and he may have been here) but again I don't know really.

Wouldn't even know where to get those examples from.

Looked at his career as a coach a bit, no idea how to find the league positions for the third division in Portugal but maccabi haifa came second to be fair. Wonder what sort of footy they play.

Yeah, the manager picks who he has as an assistant, this is common knowledge is it not? And quite a lot of the time they are already mates with the manager, as they tend to pick someone who they can trust and have a good relationship with. Obviously thereís exceptions, but this is the general rule.

I wouldnít read too much into his record. Heís coming here as an assistant, heíll work with silva and offer insight where he feels necessary but really will just be somebody to assist silva when needed. I doubt heíll have any significant input.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

June 07, 2019, 12:45:03 AM
Reply #72

formerKHL

I think some of you are overplaying the DOF role tbh....yes they have an overall managerial view of footballing matters but they donít always have the final say on every decision...
Most managers have the final say on most things in my experience ( itís why they mostly fallout) MS will have the ultimate say on who he wants as his assistant as he will stand or fall by that decision....MB can only agree with it as if he vetos it then harmony in camp will be broken.....he will however give his opinion and reasons behind them whether he is for or against...it will be up to MS though whether he accepts those opinions....
At the end of the day though they will both do what they think is best for Everton...

June 07, 2019, 12:57:02 AM
Reply #73

KoemansNumberTens

My alarm bells are ringing yes

Surely most assistants have a previous working relationship with the manager. Iíd be more worried if our DOF had picked the assistant

June 07, 2019, 02:45:07 AM
Reply #74

DanDan

NSNO Subscriber
Boa Morte was in charge of Sportings U19s when Marco Silva was in charge of their first team. So they have worked together previously. They probably were on the same coaching courses when doing their badges