June 25, 2019, 02:37:59 PM

Author Topic: Tim Howard Retirement Video  (Read 937 times)

June 08, 2019, 11:48:37 PM
Reply #15

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Nigel Martyn was an infinitely better goalkeeper than Tim Howard.

O.k. I only gave it an hmmm..

June 08, 2019, 11:49:59 PM
Reply #16

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
.......................Martyn only gets a hmmm from you ?

Maybe I just didnít see as much of Martyn as I did Howard, hence the Hmm...

June 09, 2019, 12:02:30 AM
Reply #17

Alanvideo

Maybe I just didnít see as much of Martyn as I did Howard, hence the Hmm...
..................fair enough . I can't do better than post this quote from Wiki.  I seem to think we should have signed him much sooner but there was some cock-up and he went to Leeds.

<<< In the middle of 2003, Leeds were approached by Chelsea and Everton with offers to sign Martyn. Both clubs were offering the out-of-favour goalkeeper a backup post: at Chelsea, he would understudy Carlo Cudicini; at Everton, the first-choice was Richard Wright. Martyn chose to move to Everton, and six games into the season, an injury to Wright gave him his Everton debut. His performances for the first team during Wright's recovery were such that Martyn remained Everton's first-choice goalkeeper even after Wright returned from injury.

Martyn was one of Everton's best performers in the 2004Ė05 season when they achieved their best Premier League finish of fourth. Many fans believed that Martyn almost single-handedly stopped them from slipping down the table after Thomas Gravesen's departure.[citation needed] He produced some of the best form of his career, despite being 38 years of age, to the delight of the Everton fans, with whom he remains a favourite. In his final season at Everton he was picking up many injuries and missed the remainder of the season. His final appearance for Everton was his 100th game for the club against Chelsea in an FA Cup tie at Goodison Park which ended 1Ė1, making numerous excellent saves. It was a fitting end to Martyn's Everton career, and he is considered by many as the club's best goalkeeper since Neville Southall, so much so that he was nicknamed "Big Nige" a play on "Big Nev" which was Southall's nickname.[citation needed]

On 8 June 2006, Martyn announced his retirement from football due to a stress fracture in his ankle that had sidelined him since January and failed to heal properly.[6] David Moyes said that he would miss Martyn as he was his "greatest ever signing  >>>
We are special ,we are Everton.

June 09, 2019, 01:25:06 AM
Reply #18

Shogun

Administrator
Howard had one brilliant season going into the 2014 world cup where he was also brilliant.

Completely fell off a cliff after that.
I never claimed to be a saint

June 09, 2019, 03:33:48 AM
Reply #19

Tony Clifton

He was pretty fucking good when you look back and consider some of the shite we went through after Southall, up until Martyn, who was a pretty hard act to follow himself.  We could have done much worse than Tim Howard. 

*Just reflecting, by the way, not having a pop at those who think otherwise  8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:35:20 AM by Tony Clifton »

June 09, 2019, 04:08:09 AM
Reply #20

Jacko4468

Iíd say Nigel Martin is second only to Big nev

June 09, 2019, 01:35:01 PM
Reply #21

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
For me Martyn was individually superb in 03/04 when the team was pretty useless.

Performances at Anfield and Leeds spring to mind where he made numerous excellent saves where it felt like it was almost impossible to score against him.

In 04/05 he was part of a very organised defence and certainly played his part but I donít recall the same individual level of performance.

That was probably because the volume and quality of shots faced dropped significantly.

Towards the end his age was starting to show, errors in derby games, away at Anfield where it was clear that Gerrard could just roll it into the net, and at home when Cisse scored he so far over he was nearly in the Park End exposing the far post.

That was understandable as we saw with Howard, these errors happen as the senses start to fade.

Overall, I felt that he knew his own game very well. In that he very rarely left his line and basically left the defenders to deal with everything and then if it got through he would be in goal. It sounds simple but, in terms of top class (southall) performance levels, it did put pressure on the defensive performance or required top class individual shot stopping (which we saw in 03/04).

Re Howard, as @Shogun says he too had one outstanding season, ironically this time it was when the team was playing really well. I suppose a huge red flag re Martinez should have been seen at the time...

Aside from that he was part of sideís that racked up clean sheets with good defensive performances (07/08 and 08/09 etc) but because we didnít finish 4th I think this went unheralded as much as Martynís performance in 04/05.

Obviously toward the end the decline was there for all to see.

Overall I think Martynís reputation for us is enhanced by the fact that he was only in the team for 2 seasons, one of which was the 4th season and that injury put an end to his decline rather than it being exposed time and again. I think the other factor was his career before us.

For Howard I think heís undervalued for the same/ opposite reasons. He was here years so the number of mistakes (always more memorable for keepers) adds up.

His good seasons didnít end up as good as the 4th in ďachievementĒ or miracle which also sticks in the mind.

And that he wasnít taken out of team when heíd gone, so he had a prolonged exposure to having fallen off a cliff.

But he was at least good for a relatively big number of seasons, whether individually or as part of good defences.

So for me, Howard edges it on that basis as the number of good performances, for us, is actually really high.

June 09, 2019, 03:10:24 PM
Reply #22

Macca77

Decent keeper, his positioning at free kicks and that was shocking though

June 09, 2019, 06:21:36 PM
Reply #23

74Blue

We signed Nigel Martyn about six or seven years too late, but he was still a bloody great keeper. Would have loved us to have got him the first time around when he got left to wait in the reception at Park foods. Peter Johnson can never be forgiven for that.