August 18, 2019, 05:44:33 PM

Author Topic: Delph??  (Read 15812 times)

July 09, 2019, 11:38:12 PM
Read 15812 times

Waltzer

It's a hard one this, he's getting on but he is better than what we have behind Gomes and Gueye. If the price is reasonable I see no reason why we wouldn't be interested, not that inspiring though and id personally rather not, but can see the merits

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

July 10, 2019, 03:45:56 AM
Reply #1

Waltzer

Who would he displace from the team?

Serious question - who is playing now that would sit on the bench for Delph?
I don't see anyone in the usual starting 11, but if you were 1 up at Anfield with 20 to go and had to bring on one of Schneiderlin, Mccarthy, Besic, Davies or Delph who would you choose?

July 10, 2019, 03:10:13 PM
Reply #2

Waltzer

There might be legs in this one because he might be an alternative choice to someone in a similar mould who Brands/Silva have already targetted and are working on but perhaps target A is proving difficult to get, not dead in the water and Delph is target B or even C.

I thought Brands stated they were only looking to bring in players between the age range of 21-24.
I think that's the age range of our primary targets, but it would be pretty short sighted and you'd question his ability to do the job if he ruled everyone out over the age of 24. I hope he looks at every player based on the whole package, experience, age, cost, wages, potential sell on, value to the squad etc

July 10, 2019, 09:58:13 PM
Reply #3

Waltzer

Gomes wouldn't play for City.
Gueye wouldn't either

July 13, 2019, 03:48:54 AM
Reply #4

Waltzer

Guessing Lookman and Gana will be the guys to go that will likely command decent fees.

Gana to Delph is significantly weakening the midfield so you would hope we are after another centre mid

If we  can get a top striker it could be a gamble that pays off
Don't get me wrong id rather have Gueye but if you were looking for positives and he is seen as his replacement id say he is better at passing and if we are going to have more of the ball he might be more effective?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:50:04 AM by Waltzer »

July 13, 2019, 12:47:50 PM
Reply #5

Waltzer

The problem isn't so much losing gueye. It's that he does almost all the defensive work in the 3 with Gomes and sigurdsson. I'm not sure them 2 work without gueye or someone with similar defensive numbers. If we replace gueye with someone more rounded then for me we have to replace at least 1 of the other 2 with someone who will make more of a contribution defensively
I get that, but I've always had this notion that Gueyes, sometimes reckless, chasing of the ball cause us issues defensively and with someone more disciplined we won't look as vulnerable, staying to look like we might find out if that's true?

July 15, 2019, 04:50:01 PM
Reply #6

Waltzer

Struggeling to understand this... Maybe Gana allready is sold? Only reason I can see for a transfer like this

Its not just about playing time though, its the entire package. We've lost Jags leadership qualities and by all accounts Delph will bring this in spades, we dont have an abundance of natural leaders in the squad so i think he'll add loads in this area. I also think hes being under rated to a large extent on here and will contribute a fair bit this season. Most people ive discussed think its a great bit of business for the price, and I tend to agree

July 15, 2019, 07:35:32 PM
Reply #7

Waltzer

Thought we were going forward not backwards
29 ?

Sent from my TA-1020 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
So would signing Messi or Ronaldo be a step backwards to you too based on that? Judge the individual on what they bring and offer, not just their age.

And before anyone says it, no I'm not saying Delph is the same level as Messi or Ronaldo
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:38:39 PM by Waltzer »

July 16, 2019, 04:05:26 AM
Reply #8

Waltzer

Liklihood of him being captain next season or will this go to Seamus?

July 16, 2019, 12:59:02 PM
Reply #9

Waltzer

Potential steal this, Walsh/Koeman would have been had for 30m at least.
These are genuinely the most boring shouts on here

July 16, 2019, 08:38:08 PM
Reply #10

Waltzer

Anyone in the upper end of your wage bracket who's post-peak and locked in for 3 years would struggle to be a bargain I think. Let alone one with bad injury problems.

You make it sound like hes McCarthy injury wise, since the beginning of the 2017/18 season hes missed 10 games through injury. Last season he was injury free, whilst Gueye missed 4 games, but I would still want him here! Yes he has had a few long injuries including 16/17 where he missed a lot of the season, but I dont see anything massively wrong with his injury record