August 22, 2019, 05:23:37 PM

Author Topic: Delph??  (Read 15972 times)

July 10, 2019, 04:12:03 AM
Read 15972 times

Bluedylan

It it went hand in hand with a few squad players leaving, I wouldn't be massively against it.

Not a sexy transfer, but might be one of those that turns out to be quite astute in hindsight.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 10, 2019, 11:37:24 PM
Reply #1

Bluedylan

My mate is a city fan and he hates Delph. He makes a lot of errors during games, and i genuinely don't know how he would improve us.

I don't want PL cast offs anymore, unless they haven't been given a proper chance at their clubs, or if they are stepping up to Everton. Let's avoid injury-prone, PL cast offs that are coming to Everton because they haven't 'made it' elsewhere.

We want people that are on the start of their journey upwards, not the other way round.

To be fair, compared to the rest of City's midfield, Delph is going to look somewhat limited. Most players would.

We're not taking a cast off. If we decide to buy him, it's a calculated decision by the management/recruitment team with reasoning and logic applied.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

July 12, 2019, 06:33:40 PM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

Not majorly exciting, but I'll chill out, watch him play and try to assess him with an open mind. Who knows, it might end up being astute?

One of the things about reading old threads is that you realise we're all wrong with predictions/opinions multiple times, but we speak with such certainty at the time.

On Delph, I've decided to justify it to myself by thinking that Silva's after a strong utility player to cover a few positions to a good standard.

July 15, 2019, 06:13:37 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/07/15/manchester-city-fans-angry-by-update-on-fabian-delphs-move-to-ev/

Guardiolista 01
@City_Agenda
 Fabian Delph might not be good for City, but that does not mean he isnít a good player. For £8m he is a bargain. An experience pro with leadership qualities that a young team like Everton needs.

July 15, 2019, 10:29:32 PM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

For £8m, it's insanely cheap really. You'd genuinely have to pay that sort of wedge for League 1 players at the moment.

July 16, 2019, 04:53:01 AM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

Key bit from Andy Hunter's piece, on this transfer:

At 29, Delph does not fit the profile of Everton signings outlined by their director of football, Marcel Brands, although he has stated that allowances will be made for older, good value targets. Silva, however, is keen to add more dominant personalities into the dressing room and believes an England international with title-winning experience can be an important addition.

July 16, 2019, 08:08:21 PM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

I think this is going to be a brilliant signing, now I've gotten over the initial feeling of being underwhelmed.

Like when we look back on Silva's reign, this is the sort of buy that might end up being one of his best and smartest.

July 16, 2019, 08:18:15 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

I'm feeling more and more that it's got Walcott-but-worse written all over it to be honest.

As long as we sign an actually good replacement for Gana then I won't be too upset.

How could it, at this valuation? Ok, wages might be relatively high, but at £8.5m, even if he was just 'ok' it would be solid business. I think he'll be a fair bit better than 'ok', and if it is, it's a massive bargain.

Walcott was lunatic money for his age, and clearly in decline as a player. No comparison there.

July 16, 2019, 08:33:40 PM
Reply #8

Bluedylan

Anyone in the upper end of your wage bracket who's post-peak and locked in for 3 years would struggle to be a bargain I think. Let alone one with bad injury problems.

Last season, struggled with injuries, and the season before that was pivotal to City's title chances. Even seen a few City fans suggesting he had a shout for player of the season that year, he was so important to them.

I think you're underestimating what a good player he is, personally, and I think at times we're all a bit guilty of thinking that real life is like footie manager where your first team are all world class 22 year olds, and then you have a whole raft of 17 year old wonderkids ready to come into the team.

Sometimes, it's fine to sign a 29 year old, as a one off purchase, for a small fee who will bring a lot of additional qualities to the team that we don't really have.

Just opinions anyway, and we'll see over time. But there's not really a comparison to Walcott. I'm not having that. The market gone insane when Lewis Dunk is getting quoted at £45m. £8.5m is not really all that far from getting him on a free, in that context.

July 16, 2019, 08:46:25 PM
Reply #9

Bluedylan

He is a very good player, so is Walcott.

Doesn't change my point, and it certainly isn't without comparison.

I get your point. I don't agree with it.

Agree to disagree.