September 20, 2019, 07:07:22 AM

Author Topic: Delph??  (Read 20003 times)

July 16, 2019, 05:28:29 PM
Reply #390

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Can't argue too much about the price, and can fill several positions. Really not convinced he will add anything that we don't already have in terms of quality, but it will add depth, and good energy and passing ability. As I said previously, I think this could be the signal that Gueye will be leaving. If we can keep him, it will be the biggest piece of business that we will do this summer.

July 16, 2019, 05:41:44 PM
Reply #391

Bluerin

Delph to left back and Baines into centre midfield 😉
Playing with 12 then, good move.

July 16, 2019, 08:08:21 PM
Reply #392

Bluedylan

I think this is going to be a brilliant signing, now I've gotten over the initial feeling of being underwhelmed.

Like when we look back on Silva's reign, this is the sort of buy that might end up being one of his best and smartest.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 16, 2019, 08:12:07 PM
Reply #393

Macca77

Been given the number 8 shirt, Gomes is now 21

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1151111059178229761

July 16, 2019, 08:12:48 PM
Reply #394

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm feeling more and more that it's got Walcott-but-worse written all over it to be honest.

As long as we sign an actually good replacement for Gana then I won't be too upset.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 16, 2019, 08:15:46 PM
Reply #395

American Evertonian

I don't thing it is bad at all. Still won't feel great about our window unless we get another CF. Can't go into the season with just DCL and Tosun.

Really wish those Walcott to MLS rumors would come back too...
Are we there yet?

July 16, 2019, 08:18:15 PM
Reply #396

Bluedylan

I'm feeling more and more that it's got Walcott-but-worse written all over it to be honest.

As long as we sign an actually good replacement for Gana then I won't be too upset.

How could it, at this valuation? Ok, wages might be relatively high, but at 8.5m, even if he was just 'ok' it would be solid business. I think he'll be a fair bit better than 'ok', and if it is, it's a massive bargain.

Walcott was lunatic money for his age, and clearly in decline as a player. No comparison there.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

July 16, 2019, 08:26:41 PM
Reply #397

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
How could it, at this valuation? Ok, wages might be relatively high, but at 8.5m, even if he was just 'ok' it would be solid business. I think he'll be a fair bit better than 'ok', and if it is, it's a massive bargain.

Walcott was lunatic money for his age, and clearly in decline as a player. No comparison there.

Anyone in the upper end of your wage bracket who's post-peak and locked in for 3 years would struggle to be a bargain I think. Let alone one with bad injury problems.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 16, 2019, 08:33:40 PM
Reply #398

Bluedylan

Anyone in the upper end of your wage bracket who's post-peak and locked in for 3 years would struggle to be a bargain I think. Let alone one with bad injury problems.

Last season, struggled with injuries, and the season before that was pivotal to City's title chances. Even seen a few City fans suggesting he had a shout for player of the season that year, he was so important to them.

I think you're underestimating what a good player he is, personally, and I think at times we're all a bit guilty of thinking that real life is like footie manager where your first team are all world class 22 year olds, and then you have a whole raft of 17 year old wonderkids ready to come into the team.

Sometimes, it's fine to sign a 29 year old, as a one off purchase, for a small fee who will bring a lot of additional qualities to the team that we don't really have.

Just opinions anyway, and we'll see over time. But there's not really a comparison to Walcott. I'm not having that. The market gone insane when Lewis Dunk is getting quoted at 45m. 8.5m is not really all that far from getting him on a free, in that context.

July 16, 2019, 08:38:08 PM
Reply #399

Waltzer

You make it sound like hes McCarthy injury wise, since the beginning of the 2017/18 season hes missed 10 games through injury. Last season he was injury free, whilst Gueye missed 4 games, but I would still want him here! Yes he has had a few long injuries including 16/17 where he missed a lot of the season, but I dont see anything massively wrong with his injury record

July 16, 2019, 08:38:14 PM
Reply #400

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Last season, struggled with injuries, and the season before that was pivotal to City's title chances. Even seen a few City fans suggesting he had a shout for player of the season that year, he was so important to them.

I think you're underestimating what a good player he is, personally, and I think at times we're all a bit guilty of thinking that real life is like footie manager where your first team are all world class 22 year olds, and then you have a whole raft of 17 year old wonderkids ready to come into the team.

Sometimes, it's fine to sign a 29 year old, as a one off purchase, for a small fee who will bring a lot of additional qualities to the team that we don't really have.

Just opinions anyway, and we'll see over time. But there's not really a comparison to Walcott. I'm not having that. The market gone insane when Lewis Dunk is getting quoted at 45m. 8.5m is not really all that far from getting him on a free, in that context.

He is a very good player, so is Walcott.

Doesn't change my point, and it certainly isn't without comparison.

July 16, 2019, 08:41:13 PM
Reply #401

Andy88

Is his injury record really that bad? - Can't say he sticks in my mind as someone who is always injured. He's played a decent amount of games for City considering he's not first choice. 

July 16, 2019, 08:46:25 PM
Reply #402

Bluedylan

He is a very good player, so is Walcott.

Doesn't change my point, and it certainly isn't without comparison.

I get your point. I don't agree with it.

Agree to disagree.

July 16, 2019, 08:48:59 PM
Reply #403

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Been given the number 8 shirt, Gomes is now 21

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1151111059178229761

Interesting- does 21 have some significance for Gomes do we know? I was expecting Delph to get 6 or 7

Edit - just seen that it does. He wore it at Valencia and Barca
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:50:18 PM by Brownie »
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

July 16, 2019, 08:50:24 PM
Reply #404

Hesmenos

Is his injury record really that bad? - Can't say he sticks in my mind as someone who is always injured. He's played a decent amount of games for City considering he's not first choice. 
He's been alright the last couple of seasons. But the 2 seasons before he had a lot of injuries. I think he missed a huge chunk of both seasons.