August 22, 2019, 07:52:34 AM

Author Topic: Tom Davies - what is his future?  (Read 1769 times)

July 18, 2019, 03:09:27 AM
Read 1769 times

stirlingblue

Couldnít find a thread on him, so feel free to merge if there is one.

In an interview today talking about Delph not being a Gueye replacement, Silva talked about Sigís offensive position in the 4-2-3-1 and mentioned Davies as the backup for that position (along with Bernard).

It surprised me as Iíve always seen him as a proper CM, doing a bit of everything but wouldnít really say his attacking characteristics are his strong suit.

Where do you think heíll end up?

July 18, 2019, 03:13:45 AM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Couldnít find a thread on him, so feel free to merge if there is one.

In an interview today talking about Delph not being a Gueye replacement, Silva talked about Sigís offensive position in the 4-2-3-1 and mentioned Davies as the backup for that position (along with Bernard).

It surprised me as Iíve always seen him as a proper CM, doing a bit of everything but wouldnít really say his attacking characteristics are his strong suit.

Where do you think heíll end up?

Played his best stuff there under Koeman towards the end of 16/17.

His off the ball movement is very good, inside to outside runs etc.

July 18, 2019, 03:14:01 AM
Reply #2

D15TIN

He'll always be cover at Everton imo

July 18, 2019, 03:15:31 AM
Reply #3

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Championship or lower end of pl
Simply simply lovely

July 18, 2019, 03:16:11 AM
Reply #4

Paddockoldie

I'm not sure really what his best position is. He's talented but going forward he gets sloppy in possession and lacks a pass at times. Is he the box to box he says he is? I'm not sure he has the full tool box for that. He isn't a DM either so he's a squad player depending on the formation or injuries. Not really answered the question but there's the issue with him. He's not got better really.

July 18, 2019, 03:38:56 AM
Reply #5

Juanito

I was at the 4-0 city game and thought he would be a guaranteed starter. He seemed to have an extra spring in his step, more confidence, could zip passes about quickly and also get stuck into a tackle. Like a real box to box player and remember he was training with the full England team as a kid.  Another player who I think a loan might help.

July 18, 2019, 03:41:38 AM
Reply #6

Simon Paul

Administrator
captain of Everton and England

July 18, 2019, 03:49:35 AM
Reply #7

mikey_blue

Polarising player. He hasn't improved since he burst onto the scene. If anything, he's regressed. When we had a midfield devoid of any creativity or legs, he offered some spark and imagination but other than that, he hasn't done much.

In an ideal world, we'd get another CM in and we could loan Tom out to a premiership team where he'll start every week, but can just see him being back-up for the next few seasons and eventually letting him go.

July 18, 2019, 03:49:47 AM
Reply #8

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Needs ball hogs around him. Played his best with barkley or rooney near him so he can buzz around pass and move, old fashioned cm style.

Our midfield don't demand the ball, some of them are actively not interested in having it, makes it hard for players like him.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 18, 2019, 03:50:58 AM
Reply #9

stirlingblue

captain of Everton and England

Thatís the dream isnít it?

Seems like one of those players whoís going to be average at everything technically but if heís going to succeed itís going to be based on his brain.

Heís not got any massive weaknesses but I couldnít say what his strengths are either (other than fashion).

July 18, 2019, 04:43:59 AM
Reply #10

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Interestingly he said in an interview the other day he sees his best position as an attacking midfielder.

Always thought he could be a Lampard type player who plays on the edge of the game, arriving late in the box.

Still think he could be potentially great, but canít seem to get a good run in the team.

Heís still young, and thereís no need to rush into things with him.

Wouldnít surprise me to see him elsewhere soon though.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

July 18, 2019, 05:47:13 AM
Reply #11

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Well either way, he needs games. He needs 2000+ minutes under a good coach at a good level. I don't think he's getting them here this season unfortunately.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 18, 2019, 06:41:54 AM
Reply #12

Evertonian in NC

He's good cover at a number of different positions.  Unless he kicks up a fuss, I assume he will stay here a long time.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 18, 2019, 07:15:44 AM
Reply #13

ally2

Needs to score goals of all types.  If not I can't see where he fits in.

July 18, 2019, 10:28:10 AM
Reply #14

blue1948

For me his big problem is his temperament ,he goes in too hard and gives too many silly fouls away .This is I believe because he is a local lad trying too hard and can be sorted as he has a footballer's brain.There is a jewel in there and it has to be polished .