August 21, 2019, 12:24:01 PM

Author Topic: Tom Davies - what is his future?  (Read 1762 times)

July 18, 2019, 03:00:43 PM
Reply #15

Lxxx

He commits players with his twists and turns, popping the ball off and drawing fouls. We don't have another player like that who can turn something out of nothing in the final third. It's not a bad shout by Silva, we've lacked that since Pienaar.

July 18, 2019, 03:05:51 PM
Reply #16

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
I think technically, he suits being a number 10 more than anywhere else. He has very quick feet and a lovely touch and weighted pass. He is also calm on the ball. However, he is not so calm off it, which leads to poor tackles, which in CM causes big problems. I think Davies would be especially good against the lower teams with 10 men behind the ball, where he can find space, turn the player and play a through ball.

Where Davies needs to improve is through his finishing, and getting into the box, and this is why he will be behind Siggy in the pecking order for the timebeing.

July 18, 2019, 03:43:50 PM
Reply #17

Macca77

I honestly think a season long loan deal will do him the world of good

July 18, 2019, 04:22:04 PM
Reply #18

dazfrancis

I think technically, he suits being a number 10 more than anywhere else. He has very quick feet and a lovely touch and weighted pass. He is also calm on the ball. However, he is not so calm off it, which leads to poor tackles, which in CM causes big problems. I think Davies would be especially good against the lower teams with 10 men behind the ball, where he can find space, turn the player and play a through ball.

Where Davies needs to improve is through his finishing, and getting into the box, and this is why he will be behind Siggy in the pecking order for the timebeing.

Agree with all this.

I want to see what he offers when we struggle to break teams down.

And if he's able to make an impact I want to see him start challenging Gylfi for a starting spot.

He should get his chances because there are plenty of times during a season Gylfi goes M.I.A. and we need someone to get on the ball and make things happen

July 18, 2019, 04:46:58 PM
Reply #19

Shogun

Administrator
I know he's got room to develop but I don't see what he's good at.

He could develop into a Lampard sort of player if played further forward but he hasn't displayed that so far.
I never claimed to be a saint

July 18, 2019, 05:23:20 PM
Reply #20

Lxxx

Needs a 30 game season under his belt but we don't have the strength in depth to let him go to get that and he won't get it here.

July 18, 2019, 05:41:44 PM
Reply #21

Toddacelli

Needs a 30 game season under his belt but we don't have the strength in depth to let him go to get that and he won't get it here.

I also don't think he'll push for a move because he's playing for his boyhood club and living the dream. It's a shame. If he could get off for a season - maybe the German league like Lookman and Kenny - and play big minutes in big games - I think he would come on in leaps and bounds.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 18, 2019, 09:24:34 PM
Reply #22

Waltzer

I also don't think he'll push for a move because he's playing for his boyhood club and living the dream. It's a shame. If he could get off for a season - maybe the German league like Lookman and Kenny - and play big minutes in big games - I think he would come on in leaps and bounds.
Just like Rooney, Jeffers, Ball and Rodwell you mean?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

July 18, 2019, 10:10:40 PM
Reply #23

sam of the south

They all had offers from better sides than us, though.

Not sure Davies would appeal to any teams that are superior to us, right now.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 18, 2019, 10:11:18 PM
Reply #24

Lazarou

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🍾 | Tom Davies x #BottleCapChallenge... pic.twitter.com/wuCGpUR1DF</p>&mdash; Everton (@Everton) July 18, 2019 <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
"I'm not worrying, I'm not worrying, well I am worrying, I am worrying, I am worrying." Guy Martin

July 18, 2019, 10:38:54 PM
Reply #25

Toddacelli

No. The opposite of that. I thought my post was clear?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 19, 2019, 01:53:58 AM
Reply #26

everton1952

Like most young footballers who have achieved nothing but got on to the payroll of PL clubs his future is bankrolled for years to come. Unless he blows it on women and gambling, he is set up for life.

July 19, 2019, 03:30:08 AM
Reply #27

stirlingblue

Like most young footballers who have achieved nothing but got on to the payroll of PL clubs his future is bankrolled for years to come. Unless he blows it on women and gambling, he is set up for life.

Other than telling us that you’re a miserable sod, what does that have to do with anything?

July 19, 2019, 03:53:04 PM
Reply #28

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber

75 Premier League appearances by the age of 21, played for England at every youth level, and has captained his boyhood team already. How has he not already achieved what most will never do?

To stay on the payroll of a PL club is extremely difficult. Hundreds of players come through the ranks, which get whittled down to the very best in the U23s. How many of those actually end up in the PL? The senior squad sizes are smaller nowadays, and the quality is much higher than 25 years ago, with more overseas players than ever before, even at a club like Everton where we traditionally have more British players.

I would say that you have achieved everything if you even make 10 appearances for a club like Everton, as it would have been 10-15 years of sacrifice to make it that far.

July 19, 2019, 04:01:04 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

75 Premier League appearances by the age of 21, played for England at every youth level, and has captained his boyhood team already. How has he not already achieved what most will never do?

To stay on the payroll of a PL club is extremely difficult. Hundreds of players come through the ranks, which get whittled down to the very best in the U23s. How many of those actually end up in the PL? The senior squad sizes are smaller nowadays, and the quality is much higher than 25 years ago, with more overseas players than ever before, even at a club like Everton where we traditionally have more British players.

I would say that you have achieved everything if you even make 10 appearances for a club like Everton, as it would have been 10-15 years of sacrifice to make it that far.

I think you are missing the whole point.