September 15, 2019, 09:02:47 PM

Author Topic: Tom Davies - what is his future?  (Read 6736 times)

August 24, 2019, 07:32:54 PM
Reply #45

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
He needs to start on Wednesday and put his hand up for selection for Wolves
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

August 24, 2019, 08:28:39 PM
Reply #46

kramer0

Yeah, donít get why he isnít getting minutes.

I genuinely think heís our best centre midfielder. Is that a mad shout?

Iím picking him above all three of those lads that started last night.

I think he has the best footballing brain of all of our midfielders, especially in possession. The application isn't always there which is where he gets a lot of criticism (gives the ball away, etc.) but it's something that should get better with minutes (which is why it's a shame he wasn't in the team more consistently last season and we don't know more about him).

I'd prefer the guy who has ideas and needs to work on executing them consistently over the likes of Gomes and Schneiderlin, who are both technically excellent but ultimately safe and predictable when we have the ball.

I also think Davies will suit a team with Bernard and Iwobi. I imagine we'd see some brilliant pass-and-move stuff in the final third with all three of them on the pitch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:30:25 PM by kramer0 »

August 24, 2019, 08:29:31 PM
Reply #47

sam of the south

Gbamin and Davies are the two most similar for that role arenít they?

Schneiderlin, Gomes and Delph should be vying for the same position in my head, not playing with each other unless necessary.

Generally speaking:
Gbamin is a 6 who can also be an 8
Schneiderlin is a 6
Delph is an 8
Davies is an 8 or a 10
Gomes is an 8
Iwobi can play 10
Bernard can play 10
Sigurdsson is a support striker

If they were all available, and Iím kneejerking after last night, Iíd play Gbamin with Delph or Davies, with Iwobi or Bernard in the 10.

Not sure Silva would, though.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 24, 2019, 08:31:59 PM
Reply #48

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Hope he starts the next game and shows what he can do.

Do you recon Silva doesnt think he is serious enough? What with his fashion stuff on the side?
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

August 24, 2019, 08:35:47 PM
Reply #49

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
He's not good enough, will have a decent career no doubt but not with us
Simply simply lovely

August 24, 2019, 08:41:17 PM
Reply #50

kramer0

Do you recon Silva doesnt think he is serious enough? What with his fashion stuff on the side?

Didn't he go to Allardyce two years ago, ask what he had to do to get in the team, and get his training numbers up so he could play more regularly?

I have a hard time imagining that Silva doesn't see that same player as being serious enough. Especially since he's given him the captain's armband a few times when he's played.

It's still a mystery to me why he doesn't get more minutes.

August 24, 2019, 08:45:17 PM
Reply #51

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Didn't he go to Allardyce two years ago, ask what he had to do to get in the team, and get his training numbers up so he could play more regularly?

I have a hard time imagining that Silva doesn't see that same player as being serious enough. Especially since he's given him the captain's armband a few times when he's played.

It's still a mystery to me why he doesn't get more minutes.

I hope so! I think it is good for players to have stuff out of football to be passionate about. Just wondered if thats why he isnt playing. I think he is boss.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lŠ Everton!

August 24, 2019, 08:45:49 PM
Reply #52

Shogun

Administrator
Will start against Lincoln and hopefully do well

August 24, 2019, 08:46:40 PM
Reply #53

kramer0

I hope so! I think it is good for players to have stuff out of football to be passionate about. Just wondered if thats why he isnt playing. I think he is boss.

Agreed.

August 28, 2019, 07:44:05 PM
Reply #54

Juanito

I think it was the last game against Linclon at Goodison he was poor and then taken off at half time. Hopefully he does better tonight and stakes him claim for a place in the side. I think alongside an experienced central midfielder like Delph who doesnt seem like he would just hide, would help him.

August 28, 2019, 07:56:02 PM
Reply #55

sam of the south

I hope he isnít asked to just play as Sigurdssonís replacement support striker.

August 28, 2019, 08:17:43 PM
Reply #56

Lxxx

I hope he isnít asked to just play as Sigurdssonís replacement support striker.

If he does I think he'd be great at it.

He'd occasionally drop 10 yards deeper when we have the ball to pick it up and turn with it. Players who do this tend to draw defenders out leaving space behind. When Sig drops deep on the odd occasion the defender doesn't bother going with him as he knows he's only going to give it straight back to the player who passed it to him in the first place. So they can stay set in their back line.

This is the issue we have. We have very few players who can draw and commit defenders around the pitch. Playing against us must be so easy if you are disciplined with your defensive shape.

August 28, 2019, 08:29:39 PM
Reply #57

sam of the south

If he does I think he'd be great at it.

He'd occasionally drop 10 yards deeper when we have the ball to pick it up and turn with it. Players who do this tend to draw defenders out leaving space behind. When Sig drops deep on the odd occasion the defender doesn't bother going with him as he knows he's only going to give it straight back to the player who passed it to him in the first place. So they can stay set in their back line.

This is the issue we have. We have very few players who can draw and commit defenders around the pitch. Playing against us must be so easy if you are disciplined with your defensive shape.

So do you think that massive gap between Sigurdsson and our CMís is Sigurdssonís choice?

August 28, 2019, 08:38:14 PM
Reply #58

Lxxx

So do you think that massive gap between Sigurdsson and our CM’s is Sigurdsson’s choice?

It is ultimately down to him, yes. I think he probably is told to push on but he's experienced enough to use some game intelligence and when we're struggling to get a grip on the game and he's gone about 10 minutes without touching the ball it might be wise to drop a little deeper and give his team-mates an option.

The issue is that he's not comfortable with the ball so he'll not go down that road, whereas Davies will actively look and show for it and if nothing else buy a cheap free kick to disrupt the flow of the game and gain us possession, if it's needed.

August 28, 2019, 08:44:06 PM
Reply #59

sam of the south

It is ultimately down to him, yes. I think he probably is told to push on but he's experienced enough to use some game intelligence and when we're struggling to get a grip on the game and he's gone about 10 minutes without touching the ball it might be wise to drop a little deeper and give his team-mates an option.

The issue is that he's not comfortable with the ball so he'll not go down that road, whereas Davies will actively look and show for it and if nothing else buy a cheap free kick to disrupt the flow of the game and gain us possession, if it's needed.

I would feel more comfortable if this is mainly down to Sigurdsson, rather than it being Silvaís actual instruction and wish.

However, if it is down to Sigurdssonís choice, why isnít Silva calling him on it? Surely heíd be hooking him more often if this was the case.