September 15, 2019, 10:08:50 PM

Author Topic: Tom Davies - what is his future?  (Read 6743 times)

August 28, 2019, 08:50:00 PM
Reply #60

Lxxx

I would feel more comfortable if this is mainly down to Sigurdsson, rather than it being Silva’s actual instruction and wish.

However, if it is down to Sigurdsson’s choice, why isn’t Silva calling him on it? Surely he’d be hooking him more often if this was the case.

Sig is an experienced international. If he's ghosting through games it's on no-one but him, regardless of what instructions he is or isn't under.

No-one instructs him to hide behind a defender when his teammates have the ball.

August 28, 2019, 08:53:51 PM
Reply #61

sam of the south

Sig is an experienced international. If he's ghosting through games it's on no-one but him, regardless of what instructions he is or isn't under.

No-one instructs him to hide behind a defender when his teammates have the ball.

I hope youre right.

Hopefully well see if hes taken out of the side.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 28, 2019, 08:56:33 PM
Reply #62

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
I have always argued that Davies' is one of the best in the squad in terms of first touch and his ability to use his feet in tight spaces. He has a really nice turn when under pressure, and has an ability to draw a foul. He then has vision and the ability to pick out a throughball, but rarely gets the chance in CM, as he often comes too deep to affect the game.

My concern defensively is that he is too lightweight to be CM, and tends to give away poor fouls. He often gets beaten too easily, and his recovery is often mediocre, nibbling at opposition's feet giving away fouls.

I do think because of the above that his best position will be a no 10. There is no doubt that he has the quality on the ball to be a top player, but whether he will get that opportunity with Everton I'm not so sure.

August 28, 2019, 10:55:27 PM
Reply #63

kerryblue boy

I have always argued that Davies' is one of the best in the squad in terms of first touch and his ability to use his feet in tight spaces. He has a really nice turn when under pressure, and has an ability to draw a foul. He then has vision and the ability to pick out a throughball, but rarely gets the chance in CM, as he often comes too deep to affect the game.

My concern defensively is that he is too lightweight to be CM, and tends to give away poor fouls. He often gets beaten too easily, and his recovery is often mediocre, nibbling at opposition's feet giving away fouls.

I do think because of the above that his best position will be a no 10. There is no doubt that he has the quality on the ball to be a top player, but whether he will get that opportunity with Everton I'm not so sure.
He also has the ability to pass sideways or back ways too many times pick up silly bookings and letting the game totally drift by him

August 29, 2019, 12:24:23 AM
Reply #64

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He also has the ability to pass sideways or back ways too many times pick up silly bookings and letting the game totally drift by him

So the same as every Everton central midfielder since Arteta left?

August 29, 2019, 12:27:25 AM
Reply #65

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
True, but he is only 21. To put that in context, I was surprised to find that Harry Winks is 23, I'd assumed he was about 19/20. Two more seasons and who knows where Davies could be. First team regular at Goodison or plying his trade a step down. I think in his position he needs those couple of seasons.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

August 29, 2019, 01:20:58 AM
Reply #66

stirlingblue

Didnt even make the bench tonight, which is strange unless hes injured

August 29, 2019, 01:22:55 AM
Reply #67

ally2

Bench looks strong and sennsible actually.  Maybe Davies isn't good enough at the moment

August 29, 2019, 01:23:59 AM
Reply #68

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Bench looks strong and sennsible actually.  Maybe Davies isn't good enough at the moment

Send him on loan then.

Absolutely no point in him being here at the moment.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

August 29, 2019, 01:27:35 AM
Reply #69

ally2

Send him on loan then.

I would agree if Gbamin hadn't just got injured.  But also you can't make him captain one season then send him out on loan the next!

August 29, 2019, 01:31:46 AM
Reply #70

Gash

Global Moderator
Send him on loan then.

They need someone local to do the keepy uppies at Bramley Moore.

August 29, 2019, 01:40:56 AM
Reply #71

TheTone

Fairly obvious Silva didn't fancy him last season, nowts changed

August 29, 2019, 04:00:10 AM
Reply #72

Macca77

Can he still be loaned out to a Championship team?

August 29, 2019, 04:09:21 AM
Reply #73

Lxxx

Sod the Championship ship him off to the Bundesliga.

Hell come back twice the player.

August 29, 2019, 04:09:44 AM
Reply #74

sam of the south

Loaning him out with Gbamin injured, and Delph likely to be, would be crazy, lads
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them