July 10, 2020, 07:23:22 PM

Author Topic: DCL  (Read 77858 times)

June 28, 2020, 11:29:31 PM
Reply #1410

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think if we could spend £150m maybe we could sign the players for it, but it's likely we won't, and as such I just don't think we can sign the quality required to make 4-4-2 an effective long term strategy

Yes but I wouldn’t say that Leicester or Atlético were stocked with players who have gone on to much better things. In fact a lot of those players left and weren’t as good wherever they went next.

They generally got a lot out of a good group of players who fitted that style of play.

Generally though we’ve chopped and changed so much over the past 4 years that we need to stick with a formation and buy players for that.

June 29, 2020, 01:32:55 AM
Reply #1411

ajax_andy

Yes but I wouldn’t say that Leicester or Atlético were stocked with players who have gone on to much better things. In fact a lot of those players left and weren’t as good wherever they went next.

They generally got a lot out of a good group of players who fitted that style of play.

Generally though we’ve chopped and changed so much over the past 4 years that we need to stick with a formation and buy players for that.

I feel we've such a random selection of players that we could play almost any formation, 4-4-2 only really being the chosen one at the moment due to having no midfield and therefore just bypassing it to a front two who are a real menace.

We could quite easily buy one or two quality players and play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 depending on who we bought. 

I'm sure Ancelloti has a plan either way, if he continues with 4-4-2 I trust it's because he bought players to make us effective using it... I just think we could be more effective with a different formation for less money.

June 29, 2020, 02:53:42 PM
Reply #1412

Toddacelli

Think he could play as a lone striker but I could easily see him just doing the donkey work. Having two up to increases the chances of the normal sort of chances falling to him and also lessens the work rate required if it was just him.

This. He's done it before against opposition when we haven't had the ball and it's generally hold-up, back-to-goal, bring-in-teammates, keep possession and allow the whole team to move further up the pitch. Aside from set-pieces or the odd ball over the top - he's not much of a threat when we play like that.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

13 hours ago
Reply #1413

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Still a big fan but some of his play has been v rusty.

The chance v Leicester where he dallied on it to try and win a pen was poor, and whatever that was today was terrible. Caught between hitting it and taking it on his knee maybe?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

13 hours ago
Reply #1414

Shogun

Administrator

The chance v Leicester where he dallied on it to try and win a pen was poor, and whatever that was today was terrible. Caught between hitting it and taking it on his knee maybe?

Just needs to get on a roll again, I think. Not much point with four matches to go like.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

12 hours ago
Reply #1415

KoemansNumberTens

He’s improved year on year and by huge amounts. He’s a much better player than I ever thought he’d be. I’m still not convinced he’s ever going to be a really top quality player but then I didn’t think he’d ever be. Premier league standard player either.

Be nice to see him with a midfield behind him too

8 hours ago
Reply #1416

Mac934

He's getting no support from midfield. He may as well be operating as a loan striker when Pickford hoofs the ball upfield time after time. Richarlison is the only player within yards and he tends to be on the other side of the pitch, so any knockdown so go straight to the opposition.
I still maintain he need a rest, he looks and is playing like he's fooked.
I reckon, play Kean against Wolves and maybe bring DCL on after an hour or so, if needed.
Wolves will probably be out of sight by then anyway.

6 hours ago
Reply #1417

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

It’s just that killer instinct stuff again. Add those above to the poor 1v1 against Chelsea before the break and it’s recurring beyond rustiness.

Richarlison’s control can be bobbly and awkward at times. But give him it with a sniff of goal and his technique is suddenly much more reliable. He’s also got that aura where you know he’ll be dangerous whatever the game is like.

Agree re DCL that general play has been a bit rusty. Decision making, when the play has been ok/ decent balls into him, hasn’t been great with lay offs and link up play not clicking at all.

To be fair to all 3 of our strikers, aside from awful midfield platform atm, there’s no striking option to rely on when things are stodgy for everyone

6 hours ago
Reply #1418

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I personally thought he was being a smart arse and trying to lob the keeper with a knee, a move you can only really get away with if your name is Zlatan.

I wouldn’t usually stick to this claim but you do catch DCL trying some mad stuff. He tried a Zlatan Kung-fu backheel shot from outside the penalty area against Leicester. It was about shoulder height and the ball was coming at him. Got some balls this kid.

6 hours ago
Reply #1419

Waltzer

He's improved year on year and by huge amounts. He's a much better player than I ever thought he'd be. I'm still not convinced he's ever going to be a really top quality player but then I didn't think he'd ever be. Premier league standard player either.

Be nice to see him with a midfield behind him too

I'm with you on this, but fear that run of goals was more a blip than the norm, which is a shame as I genuinely thought it was an area we didn't need to focus on. Personally I think we need to get rid of Kean or DCL and get in a more established centre forward that has the ability to get 20 goals a season

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

6 hours ago
Reply #1420

GrantyBoy78

There’s enough to be genuinely worried about, I don’t think Dom is one of them. It’s essentially pre-season.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums