February 24, 2020, 02:54:39 PM

Author Topic: Alex Iwobi  (Read 48643 times)

GLewis, Waltzer and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

February 08, 2020, 03:27:08 PM
Reply #1020

Lxxx

Does seem like itís Bernard or Iwobi for that slot, which, if that spurs the pair of them on to up their game and start to trouble the scorers, is a plus no?

February 08, 2020, 03:32:46 PM
Reply #1021

ally2

I think Bernard can survive in a 442 even though he's not productive enough. Iwobi I'm not so sure. I was confused when/why we signed him and now there's even less space for him. The 'he's not Sigurdsson' line doesn't work any more. Sigurdsson is a better fit in midfield. Iwobi's strengths are further up the field.

February 08, 2020, 03:51:28 PM
Reply #1022

Shogun

Administrator
You need options in the squad like. Considering Bernard and Iwobi are injured half the time then they're likely to share the role quite evenly.

The issue is the other side of the pitch.
Finally found the thread where I said Deulofeu wasn't all that.

We will see in a few years where he is at. I'm betting he'll be at a worse club than Everton rather than at Barcelona.

Currently at Watford.

February 08, 2020, 04:38:02 PM
Reply #1023

Martip

You need options in the squad like. Considering Bernard and Iwobi are injured half the time then they're likely to share the role quite evenly.

The issue is the other side of the pitch.
We need options of course. But would we not be better having 1 really good player who is fit the majority if the time and who has the capability to produce regularly?

February 08, 2020, 04:48:06 PM
Reply #1024

Shogun

Administrator
We need options of course. But would we not be better having 1 really good player who is fit the majority if the time and who has the capability to produce regularly?

Yeah but the Bernard/Iwobi scenario is pretty low priority for the moment. Iwobi has played literally one match under Carlo as well so we'll see what happens going forward.

On the right side we have Walcott with his one goal and one assist for the  season backed up by Richarlison but not really because he'll be playing up front.
A midfield consisting of two wasters in Schniederlin and Delph, Davies who isn't offering anything, Sigurdsson who deputises fairly well in CM but shouldn't be there, Gbamin who we'll never see and Gomes who even before injury was decent but nothing ground breaking.
Then you have the RB issue.

There's too many issues elsewhere to be focusing on what are two decent players, if unproductive, vying for the same position.
Finally found the thread where I said Deulofeu wasn't all that.

We will see in a few years where he is at. I'm betting he'll be at a worse club than Everton rather than at Barcelona.

Currently at Watford.

February 08, 2020, 04:58:52 PM
Reply #1025

Martip

Yeah but the Bernard/Iwobi scenario is pretty low priority for the moment. Iwobi has played literally one match under Carlo as well so we'll see what happens going forward.

On the right side we have Walcott with his one goal and one assist for the  season backed up by Richarlison but not really because he'll be playing up front.
A midfield consisting of two wasters in Schniederlin and Delph, Davies who isn't offering anything, Sigurdsson who deputises fairly well in CM but shouldn't be there, Gbamin who we'll never see and Gomes who even before injury was decent but nothing ground breaking.
Then you have the RB issue.

There's too many issues elsewhere to be focusing on what are two decent players, if unproductive, vying for the same position.
Grim reading isnt it - Davies, Morgan and delph really doesnt inspire does it. Things will look a bit better if Gomes comes back in good shape as he has the ability to influence a midfield when on song, but we need better in such a crucial area of the pitch.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:00:53 PM by Martip »

February 08, 2020, 05:25:58 PM
Reply #1026

ally2

There are issues everywhere but that doesn't mean you can't address them or even look at any particular one with priority. I'm not saying Iwobi won't work but at the moment we have nothing on the right but with a £30m 'option' on the left. I'd say that's a good argument to address the two problems at once.

A lot of people have written off Iwobi playing wide. I didn't but a lot have. Then again many wrote off Richarlison up front.

As things stand, Iwobi is a very expensive 'option', either left wing or second striker. And it's not just our problem, it's his too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:27:13 PM by ally2 »

February 08, 2020, 05:53:00 PM
Reply #1027

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Does seem like itís Bernard or Iwobi for that slot, which, if that spurs the pair of them on to up their game and start to trouble the scorers, is a plus no?

I would agree, and you get the added bonus of having a similar skill set come off the bench with fresh legs without throwing the formation or tactics into a tizzy.
Annoying some, pleasing others. Just being me, the GIF master.

February 08, 2020, 06:26:33 PM
Reply #1028

Waltzer

This is my main issue with Iwobi though, he's not a bad player, but for us to spend that amount when there are so many other issues seems very strange? We don't have infinite amounts of money as highlighted by our latest accounts, so why spend that on someone in a position where we have numerous options.
Adding depth with people like Iwobi is exactly where I hope we are in 2/3 years, but we need players to make an impact on the starting 11 now, not as an option from the bench

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

February 09, 2020, 06:49:46 PM
Reply #1029

Hesmenos

This is my main issue with Iwobi though, he's not a bad player, but for us to spend that amount when there are so many other issues seems very strange? We don't have infinite amounts of money as highlighted by our latest accounts, so why spend that on someone in a position where we have numerous options.
Adding depth with people like Iwobi is exactly where I hope we are in 2/3 years, but we need players to make an impact on the starting 11 now, not as an option from the bench

When we bought him though we were playing 4-2-3-1, where he was providing cover for 2 positions. Also Silva wanted his number 10 to be getting into the box when those crosses were coming in, so our only effective cover for Sig was Davies. I think a right winger was a bigger priority but when we couldn't find one, going for Iwobi instead made sense.
In Carlo's 4-4-2 though, unfortunately there is only one position he can play

February 09, 2020, 08:47:25 PM
Reply #1030

Waltzer

When we bought him though we were playing 4-2-3-1, where he was providing cover for 2 positions. Also Silva wanted his number 10 to be getting into the box when those crosses were coming in, so our only effective cover for Sig was Davies. I think a right winger was a bigger priority but when we couldn't find one, going for Iwobi instead made sense.
In Carlo's 4-4-2 though, unfortunately there is only one position he can play
So why are we spending 30ish million on players that is so 1 dimensional? According to what you've said we've now effectively got a 30 million player 6 months into a long term, albeit cheapish contract, that no longer fits? It all goes back to my concern about where is our vision, we can't continue to sign players for a bespoke system for a specific manager and not expect to get a squad that's so disjointed

February 09, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Reply #1031

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
So why are we spending 30ish million on players that is so 1 dimensional? According to what you've said we've now effectively got a 30 million player 6 months into a long term, albeit cheapish contract, that no longer fits? It all goes back to my concern about where is our vision, we can't continue to sign players for a bespoke system for a specific manager and not expect to get a squad that's so disjointed

I get what you're saying, but you can't go into buying players based on what a future, unknown manager may make of him. Let's face it, no one, Brands included, could've foreseen that we'd have Ancelotti at the helm. And tbh, most managers today play a 4231, so really, it wasn't dumb from that perspective. 442 is a rare formation still, even if it seems to be experiencing a resurgence of sorts.

The key part of your comment is "6 mos. into a long term contract." Carlo will either morph him into a more versatile player, or he won't and we'll move him on for probably around the same wages (best case). Keep in mind that Bernard's contract expires June '22, right before his 30th birthday, and Iwobi will be 25 going into the final 2 years of his contract. Still far, far too early to be making any definitive statements about him.

February 09, 2020, 09:01:26 PM
Reply #1032

Hesmenos

I'm not saying he no longer fits. He's just not as versatile as he was in a 4-2-3-1 system. In fact I would say that the way Ancelotti likes his left winger to come inside and have a bit of a free role should in theory suit Iwobi better.
I agree with your last sentence and I imagine that this is the reason we have got a technical director in, to make sure that there is a continuity even if a manager change happens. However when we bought him this summer we obviously weren't planning on getting rid of Silva before Christmas and I have a feeling that if a manager of the quality of Ancelotti hadn't suddenly become available, we would have been looking to bring in a manager who liked to use a variation of the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formations.

February 09, 2020, 09:10:37 PM
Reply #1033

Evertonian in NC

Start Bernard at home, Wobes away.  Keeps both players fit, involved, and rested.

This is why you need a squad.  Theo just needs a buddy to share RW with.

/still amazed that I no longer want Theo relegated to MLS
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

February 09, 2020, 09:16:45 PM
Reply #1034

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Start Bernard at home, Wobes away.  Keeps both players fit, involved, and rested.

This is why you need a squad.  Theo just needs a buddy to share RW with.

/still amazed that I no longer want Theo relegated to MLS

Nah, he can go to MLS.