August 22, 2019, 07:12:17 AM

Author Topic: Brandís Recruitment Philosophy  (Read 5853 times)

August 10, 2019, 02:46:10 AM
Reply #105

dunkster

Since he's come in.. Gomes, digne, Bernard (free), zouma loan and now a decent looking group (on paper) this summer. Hard to argue with him this far.
Don't forget, he also has to work with silva to find players that fit his style.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

August 10, 2019, 05:27:24 PM
Reply #106

D15TIN

Dinamo Zagreb rejected offers from Everton, Man Utd, and Bayern for Dani Olmo, according to sportske novosti. Man Utd offered Ä25m and Bayern and Everton Ä28m. #FCBayern #EFC #MUFC

August 10, 2019, 07:17:45 PM
Reply #107

GrantyBoy78

Dinamo Zagreb rejected offers from Everton, Man Utd, and Bayern for Dani Olmo, according to sportske novosti. Man Utd offered Ä25m and Bayern and Everton Ä28m. #FCBayern #EFC #MUFC
Shows how mad the market is when a team in Croatia can turn down Ä28m.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

August 15, 2019, 02:57:34 AM
Reply #108

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Been following this guy a while, one of the followers of Breaking The Lines, knowledgeable fella.

Good, positive thread on Everton and Brands :

https://twitter.com/ZachLowy/status/1159789520675586049?s=19

Full article by the same fella, requires browser translation

http://el9ymedio.com/2019/08/13/marcel-brands-el-rey-de-las-negociaciones/

Marcel Brands, el rey de las negociaciones..

Marcel Brands, the king of negotiations..
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:22:33 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 15, 2019, 07:42:58 PM
Reply #109

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
20 minute video on the official site with brands talking about the past transfer window.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

August 15, 2019, 07:56:35 PM
Reply #110

ally2

What I don't necessarily accept is the blind belief that a deal could have been done for a centre back. Maybe it couldn't?  Brands has enough in the bank in my opinion to trust his judgement and skills. Totally baffling again to me why Everton supporters always choose the route to pointing the finger at someone at any opportunity.

August 15, 2019, 08:15:14 PM
Reply #111

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
20 minute video on the official site with brands talking about the past transfer window.

Superb that
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 15, 2019, 09:34:22 PM
Reply #112

Coyney83

What I don't necessarily accept is the blind belief that a deal could have been done for a centre back. Maybe it couldn't?  Brands has enough in the bank in my opinion to trust his judgement and skills. Totally baffling again to me why Everton supporters always choose the route to pointing the finger at someone at any opportunity.

Iím of a similar mind. Clearly Zouma was first choice and Iím sure others were considered before we called Utd to ask about Smalling and Rojo. If the value isnít there, it isnít there. There was talk of Diego (?) Llorente but Iím sure as soon as a PL club makes an enquiry a 20% premium is added to the fee requested. Based on Silvaís comments earlier this week re: difficulty to sign players with experience of playing in the PL, the premium is probably higher certainly when you consider at least half of the teams in the PL are having to sell to buy.

Iím also very glad that Brands walked away from the Rojo deal when Utd seemingly reneged on a pre- agreed season long loan. In the Moyes era, I reckon we would have bottled it and signed the player on a permanent deal knowing he was at best a stop gap but playing our subservient role to Utd. Brands said no, knowing well that it could create a problem but refusing to compromise too far from his vision and principles.

I also think Utdís position could be seen as a show of concern on their behalf about the business we had done generally through the summer and how they perceive our threat to the Sky 6. With a loan deal agreed, I think itís possible some one at Old Trafford said ďLads, Rojo is bang average but Everton are in need and a loan deal helps them to service that need, making their squad stronger (at least in numbers). Theyíve had a good summer, have a handy start to the new season and could challenge top 6 so why would we make them stronger? Call their bluff, permie deal or nothingĒ. Brands saw through it and walked away. Best case now is Utd loan Rojo to a European club and pay 50%+ of his wages.

August 15, 2019, 09:35:25 PM
Reply #113

gizzblue

Superb that

Was excellent but that ...he exudes confidence that man ...we are in good hands .
Born not made a blue .

August 15, 2019, 10:01:17 PM
Reply #114

Bluedylan

I still think he should've signed a centre half, on loan or permanently and I imagine Marco Silva probably thinks the same.

I don't think that's a bad thing to acknowledge. He's done an outstanding job in most areas of recruitment, and in trimming the squad massively. An outstanding job. He appears to be a fantastic negotiator, no question. And we all think and acknowledge that. But we're not cultists, like the other lot, so we can still be objective and critical of someone who who is doing a great job overall, but who appears to have made a mistake in one area.

So yeah....he definitely still should've signed a centre half of some quality, at least on loan. If we get a couple of semi-serious injuries at CB, which can happen, we're in a really precarious position, and then you'd have to blame that on recruitment.

I totally agree with the principle of waiting to get the player you want, as opposed to just lashing £20-30m on someone you hope might work out, but then you've still gotta have yourself covered.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 15, 2019, 11:41:55 PM
Reply #115

van der Meyde

I mean a deal for *a* centre half could have been done, sure.

It just might not have been for a good one.

Itís been fairly well reported now that Silva was only interested in centre backs with Prem experience. Given there arenít exactly many around any of us would be happy with, Iíd bet that was the main stumbling block.

August 16, 2019, 12:37:43 AM
Reply #116

ally2

I mean a deal for *a* centre half could have been done, sure.

It just might not have been for a good one.

Itís been fairly well reported now that Silva was only interested in centre backs with Prem experience. Given there arenít exactly many around any of us would be happy with, Iíd bet that was the main stumbling block.

Yes quite right. I should've said that. There are two parts - doing a deal, and doing the right deal. That's why for me the jury is out on Iwobi. I've never been that impressed with him and it was a late deal which might indicate he was down the list. However I understand that these guys know football and they know transfer deals so that's good enough for me.

August 16, 2019, 05:11:14 AM
Reply #117

Gash

Global Moderator
Really good interview that, it's clear to see that we're a far better run club with Brands on board and are far more professional, gone are the days of Bill writing a price on the back of a napkin etc. Hard to think that less than 18 months ago we had that tit Allardyce in charge, imagine what Brands would have made of him? If anything it shows how out of touch Allardyce is with modern football.

Even at the end there when they're talking about the young players on loan you can see that he's up to speed with who they are, where they are and how they're getting on. We're not just sending young players out on loan but we're keeping an eye on them and making sure they're looked after.

Interesting as well that despite the "that's a Silva signing" thought he's pretty clear that they work well together and no signings are made without both him and Silva agreeing on the transfer. It makes a lot of the transfer window more believable, we were in for players but we're no longer getting out pants pulled down for players and we'll walk away with nothing rather than buy for poor value. Really hope this goes some way to get rid of the "Everton that" mentality that a lot of fans have. Missing out on a CB is an issue but watching that you can understand why we didn't just throw millions at an average player.

August 16, 2019, 05:31:32 AM
Reply #118

Dr. Sponge

The only blotch is the lack of CB signing this summer. We should have signed cover no matter what. Its like Brexit, a slightly bad deal is better than no deal. The risk of playing potentially Holgate and Gibson for big chunks of the season is quite a high one.

Apart from that... getting Brands is the best thing the club has done in 25 years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 16, 2019, 01:20:13 PM
Reply #119

Toddacelli

Came into work early to watch this but even though I'm signed in it's not playing and asking me to sign in. 😔

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates