August 21, 2019, 12:01:34 PM

Author Topic: Brandís Recruitment Philosophy  (Read 5835 times)

August 09, 2019, 05:54:43 AM
Reply #60

Evertonian in NC

How many first-tier fans are fuming about the lack of back four signings?  We did great business, at least an 8 out of 10.  Nothing that will hamstring us in the future.  We increased creativity, positional flexibility, and athleticism.  Got younger, which is key.

Workmate of mine sent me a rave review today, dunno where it's from (and he's usually mocking me for my Everton paranoia and "bitterness"):

Are Everton and Marco Silva about to make a concerted push for the top four? You might not bet against it after the summer they've enjoyed.

Losing Idrissa Gueye, an outstanding midfielder but one who turns 30 next month, to Paris Saint-Germain looked a worry but their incoming players have more than compensated for that. Moise Kean, the thrilling young striker from Juventus, has arrived for £29 million in one of the summer's stand-out signings while Jean-Philippe Gbamin and Fabian Delph add depth and quality in Gueye's absence.
Andre Gomes' move from Barcelona has been made permanent while full-back Djibril Sidibe, a star of Monaco's Champions League semifinalists two years ago, looks a shrewd loan addition. Ademola Lookman eventually got his drawn-out move to RB Leipzig but Everton look covered with sufficient quality and options in all areas of the pitch. Their only weakness might be a lack of depth at centre-back, where Kurt Zouma may be missed after returning to Chelsea.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 09, 2019, 05:59:27 AM
Reply #61

Evertonian in NC

Overall, fantastic (but with a niggling doubt about the CB situation).

Only time will tell how significant or insignificant the CB thing will be. We might touch lucky, and keep the main two fit til January, and then add another then. Or we might lose one of them (or god forbid both) for 3 months, and be in crisis mode.

Hope fate is kind to us.

I agree, but isn't that true for most sides?  Anybody going down to their 5th choice CB will suffer.

Multiple bottom half clubs wanted Holgate to start, and he'll be our 4th choice.  It's not like we are bare bones.

We signed three of the four names that I originally went "oh shit, sounds perfect" for.  Kean, Gbamin, Iwobi.  The only one we didn't get was Rakitic, and that always had a "fever dream" feel to it.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 09, 2019, 06:11:42 AM
Reply #62

van der Meyde

Some very arbitrary ratings ahoy...

Lossl (5/10? 6/10?) - not overly keen on it, especially given Swedish reports he's on ~£50k p/w. It feels like we could get cheaper back up elsewhere, but maybe that's a risk not worth taking?

Sidibe (7/10) - fine as a loan, would have been more annoyed if it was permanent.

Delph (6/10) - fine. Points knocked off for him being injury prone and because wages are maybe high for an ageing back up.

Gbamin (7/10) - look, I've never seen him play. How can I rate him fairly? He gets points for being young, versatile and seemingly decent defensively. He could be good, but wasn't overly impressed by him on the ball on the Youtubes.

Gomes (6/10? 7/10?) - it's not really a secret that I don't rate him as highly as others. I feel like we've missed an opportunity to massively upgrade our midfield this summer with the moves for him/Gbamin, but he's a very decent player.

Kean (10/10)

Iwobi (8/10? 9/10?) - I really like him and he meets very specific needs (chance creation, getting the ball up the pitch). Points knocked off for not being a great goal threat.

The centre back thing isn't ideal, but we've got two decent £30m centre backs already. In general I'd much rather we kept our powder dry and waited for our top targets, rather than buying players who aren't good enough. It's easy for me to say that though as I've never seen us as challengers for top 4/6 this year. As @GLewis said, I don't think our options are much worse than Leicester/Wolves, for example. Defence is also the one area of the pitch where you can make up for shortcomings with tactical tweaks.

Probably a 7/10 window rising to an 8/10 if everyone smashes it then, eh? Another summer or two like this and I think breaking the top 6 could really be a possibility.

August 09, 2019, 06:22:35 AM
Reply #63

Evertonian in NC

I'd give Lossl a 7/10 because we needed to loan out Virginia, and with Stek as backup we were flirting with disaster.

Delph, I am talked up to 7/10 because of the price.  Still wouldn't go loaning out Schneiderlin or Davies, we can't count on him staying healthy.  All a bonus.

Gbamin is 8/10 because of value and versatility.  I have him pegged as the new fan favourite.  Mainz were an interesting side to watch last season.

Otherwise, I agree and the window is easily an 8/10.

August 09, 2019, 06:36:32 AM
Reply #64

van der Meyde

I'd give Lossl a 7/10 because we needed to loan out Virginia, and with Stek as backup we were flirting with disaster.

Delph, I am talked up to 7/10 because of the price.  Still wouldn't go loaning out Schneiderlin or Davies, we can't count on him staying healthy.  All a bonus.
Goalkeeper kind of feels like this position where there 'should' be cheap options around the world who could come in and do a job as back up. Maybe that's not a risk worth taking though!

Delph is again coloured a little by money. The median transfer fee in the PL is about £10m so I don't particularly see it as 'cheap' personally. Not bad by any means and if he's still contributing/staying fit at the end of his contract, then I'd have to reappraise it and bump it up a bit.

August 09, 2019, 06:39:56 AM
Reply #65

Heisenberg

I think Delph is a good signing. Could do a job in any position

August 09, 2019, 07:34:32 AM
Reply #66

Evertonian in NC

I think Delph is a good signing. Could do a job in any position

Not sure if this was something we specifically targeted, but Delph, Iowbi, and Gbamin are all quite flexible, position-wise.  Especially with limited space in the squad, that has to have some "analytics" value.

Go ahead, make your match day squads.  There will always be some quality players left out.

August 09, 2019, 08:00:29 AM
Reply #67

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Brands canít do right by some though and thatís a bit sad.

And theyíll continue to use bull shit like £80m fees for the likes of Zaha to push that agenda.

IMO heís the most important signing for a couple of decades.

And that's why they're posting on a football forum and he's earning millions?☺
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

August 09, 2019, 08:51:06 AM
Reply #68

TrevorSteven

Success for us is making progress each season and experienced players can help towards that. They have to have wages like, they're not gonna do it for free.

Anyone who thinks we would get anywhere with a squad made entirely of players under the age if 25 is dreaming.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Ajax dreamt their way to the semi finals of CL

August 09, 2019, 09:38:02 AM
Reply #69

Omar

Happy with the window, dissapointed with deadline day.

Our business has been great but I am just astounded we have not brought in a CB.

perfectly stated.
You come at the king, you best not miss.

August 09, 2019, 12:34:43 PM
Reply #70

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Theyíre not a fair comparison.

They are the biggest club in Holland with almost guaranteed access to the CL quals every year, whatever they do (good/ bad, young/ old).

Every now and again they will get ďluckyĒ with their team but itís 25 years since their previous good team.

August 09, 2019, 01:36:15 PM
Reply #71

GrantyBoy78

I think we all expected Brands to unearth a few obscure Ďgemsí to compliment the squad. Theyíve not materialised so far. Do you think that approach is even possible, given the quality of player required to be competitive in this league?

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

August 09, 2019, 01:37:45 PM
Reply #72

stirlingblue

They also balanced with some older heads:

Tadic is 30, Blind is 29, Huntelaar is 35 and Schone is 33

August 09, 2019, 02:00:29 PM
Reply #73

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Hasn't really done a lot in the young kids department yet. Would be nice to see more youngsters coming in that brands has sourced.

Transfer ban for the kids isn't there?

August 09, 2019, 02:20:40 PM
Reply #74

Waltzer

Guys guys guys. I'm hearing a bit of negativity toward brands and the players that we actually didn't sign.

What am I missing?
I might be one of those, but I'm generally not negative against Brands, but I will call it as I see it. He should've got a centre back 100% and failing to do so could cost us big. The rest of the business was good, especially earlier on in the window.

I think some on here put Brand on a pedestal where there is no middle ground and anyone who dares criticise him deserves the death penalty. Like I said, overall it was good, but there is a glaring omission and I think it slightly tarnishes his reputation. On reflection I'm glad he didn't just sign Rojo or anyone else that would be detrimental long term, but it never should've got to that stage.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app