August 21, 2019, 12:01:09 PM

Author Topic: Brandís Recruitment Philosophy  (Read 5834 times)

August 16, 2019, 03:34:42 PM
Reply #120

Makis

Looking at the big picture over two summers I think there is a clear strategy with a few exceptions: most players are young, athletic, strong and keen to improve. For instance all but Bernard (who was on a free) of the forwards signed are physical players. Gomes, Mina and Gbami are also big fellas. Digne and Delphi aren't as tall but they get stuck in. Sidibe also fits this mould even though he is only on loan.

August 16, 2019, 03:53:49 PM
Reply #121

Lxxx

The only blotch is the lack of CB signing this summer. We should have signed cover no matter what. Its like Brexit, a slightly bad deal is better than no deal. The risk of playing potentially Holgate and Gibson for big chunks of the season is quite a high one.

Apart from that... getting Brands is the best thing the club has done in 25 years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Maybe they are of a belief than anybody is not necessarily better than nobody.

August 16, 2019, 04:32:25 PM
Reply #122

Gash

Global Moderator

Yeah, I think when they weighed it all up spending £25m and £160k a week on the likes of Rojo wasn't going to be putting us in a much better position than getting no one in at all.

August 16, 2019, 04:37:28 PM
Reply #123

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Wouldíve still liked us to have a viable back up should the Zouma deal not happen, but have faith in the calculated risk brands in taking.

Having watched Zouma recently thereís not a chance Chelsea wonít be buying a centre half in the summer so weíll probably get him for a lot cheaper when we go back in for him.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

August 16, 2019, 05:20:51 PM
Reply #124

Dr. Sponge

Yeah, I think when they weighed it all up spending £25m and £160k a week on the likes of Rojo wasn't going to be putting us in a much better position than getting no one in at all.
If spending that was the only option then yes I agree. But Cahill was available on a free for example.

August 16, 2019, 05:26:42 PM
Reply #125

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
If spending that was the only option then yes I agree. But Cahill was available on a free for example.

Donít think heís premier league quality anymore.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

August 16, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
Reply #126

Gash

Global Moderator

But again, given the wages and signing fee etc would Cahill have been a better option than Holgate? I know Cahill's got bags of experience but he's hardly played in the last 12-18 months and coming 34 soon. He'd probably have wanted to go somewhere where he's a decent chance of playing most weeks as well rather than a back up.

August 16, 2019, 05:46:54 PM
Reply #127

Bluedylan

We'll only know in the next few months if it was the right decision or not.

If we're experiencing a CB crisis in November, and we're losing games we would've otherwise won, the recruitment strategy at CB is going to look pretty fucking bad.

If we get to January with no CB injuries, and then get Zouma for £20m, Brands is going to look like even more of a genius.

I still insist that we needed to get cover though. No excuse for not getting one reasonable quality CB in on loan, to cover for now.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 16, 2019, 05:54:15 PM
Reply #128

dazfrancis

I find it hard to believe Rojo was the only centre half with a suitable profile who was available

August 16, 2019, 06:53:01 PM
Reply #129

Hawkandro

Happy with him and his recruitment so far.

Rather give Gibson/Feeney/Holgate time over Rojo, so glad we walked away there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:54:07 PM by Hawkandro »
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

August 16, 2019, 06:59:10 PM
Reply #130

Thornton_19

Would've still liked us to have a viable back up should the Zouma deal not happen, but have faith in the calculated risk brands in taking.

Having watched Zouma recently there's not a chance Chelsea won't be buying a centre half in the summer so we'll probably get him for a lot cheaper when we go back in for him.
I reckon we wont be in for him at all now. We will buy a CB in January Id bet. Cant expect to go the whole year with 3 CBs one who we were apparently happy to sell over the summer in Holgate.

August 16, 2019, 07:04:37 PM
Reply #131

Toddacelli

If Cahill or Rojo or whoever, sat on the bench every week this season and got £100k+ per week for a few splinters - that would be awful business. Took lots - gave nothing.

That's the other side to the risk we're taking.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 16, 2019, 07:42:50 PM
Reply #132

Lxxx

Cahill was already snapped up by Palace by the time we probably realised the Zouma deal wasnít on.

We took a calculated risk by not signing a centre half. One which has one eye on the future, both in terms of finances and development.

Plus we do have Holgate. He might not be Premiership quality but when compared against an expensive last minute loan signing of unknown output it might have seemed like a gamble worth taking.

August 16, 2019, 07:50:30 PM
Reply #133

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Cahill is probably slower than Keane. Not what we needed at all.

Rojo was the back up because he's more athletic than what we have and the manager knows him. United played silly beggars so we swerved it.

Shame we didn't have a better plan B or C, but you certainly get the impression they know they fucked up.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 16, 2019, 07:58:30 PM
Reply #134

Dr. Sponge

Brands doesnt need our blind faith, he's earned his reputation on merit. He is outstanding at improving football clubs, including recruitment.

I just hope this CB issue doesnt hurt us too much before January.