September 15, 2019, 09:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Mission Top Six  (Read 6449 times)

August 09, 2019, 02:13:12 AM
Read 6449 times

VBlue

Now the dust is starting to settle, and Alex Iwobi seems certain to be completed, two things are on my mind.

1) Have we improved our squad sufficiently to break into the top six?

2) Have teams around us improved their squads more so than us?

13 points off 6th & 17 off 5th last season. 6 points away from finishing 13th below Crystal Palace.

Iím usually a massive optimist when it comes to football. Itís more fun than the alternative.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1213395

I donít think weíve had a terrible window compared to Wolves, W.Ham, Leicester, Watford, or Man U.

I donít think weíve had a significantly better window than any of them either.

Iím not expecting Everton to be much more or less competitive and I think weíve got to look again in the winter transfer window and strengthen in 2/3 positions that could then make the difference.

Iím not delivering anything ground breaking here, but how does anyone else view how our squad is now compared to those around us?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:51:00 AM by VBlue »

August 09, 2019, 02:14:55 AM
Reply #1

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
We'll finish 7th or 8th.
Can't see any higher, can't see any lower.

Praying for a cup.

August 09, 2019, 02:20:02 AM
Reply #2

indiantoffee1975

Only worry for me is the CB pairing. This really should have been addressed around the time we signed up Gomes.
I'm not confident in the Keane/Mina partnership. That's gonna leak goals.

First half of the season I expect there will be ups and downs. If we address the CB issue in Jan then we can finish the season stronger and perhaps back to 7th.

I don't see us finishing above Chelsea, Arsenal or Man.Utd. Sadly an opportunity missed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:21:37 AM by indiantoffee1975 »

August 09, 2019, 02:24:15 AM
Reply #3

Mayor Farnum

We lack any kind of calming influence at the back. Two flying full backs, starting centre halfs look mentally fragile and the goalie just looks mental.
Something clever written by someone else.

August 09, 2019, 02:27:33 AM
Reply #4

penguinofdoom1878

5th and the FA Cup

August 09, 2019, 02:27:39 AM
Reply #5

Macca77

Need to show ambition, don't just aim for top 6 to maybe 7th, aim for top 4, big ask I know but not impossible

August 09, 2019, 02:29:49 AM
Reply #6

Cozzie

CB is my worry.

Mina
Holgate
Keane

We have needed a CB since the final whistle went last season.

If we knew we where never gonna land Zouma our plan B's should never have been Rojo/Smalling.

CB was priority for me above anything and given how we have had an entire window to get one it's weird we never.

Somethings not quite right there for me.

We have improved in a lot of areas and I am excited to see our new signings but for me unless Mina proves himself or more importantly Mina/Keane gel then I feel sadly it will be this area that's gonna cost us top 6.

August 09, 2019, 02:43:24 AM
Reply #7

.Rimbo.

11th. Maybe higher if Kean bags a fuckton.

August 09, 2019, 02:47:13 AM
Reply #8

Waltzer

Anywhere between 8th and 11th, think it'll be tight. Expect Leicester and Wolves to finish above us, West Ham, Watford and us probably battling it out for the next 3

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

August 09, 2019, 02:49:25 AM
Reply #9

Bluedylan

7th by a distance, and possibly 6th.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 09, 2019, 03:09:24 AM
Reply #10

Gary Todd

Now the dust is starting to settle, and Alex Iwobi seems certain to be completed, two things are on my mind.

1) Have we improved our squad sufficiently to break into the top six?

2) Have teams around us improved their squads more so than us?

13 points off 6th & 17 off 5th last season. 6 points away from finishing 13th below Crystal Palace.

I'm usually a massive optimist when it comes to football. It's more fun than the alternative.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1213395

I don't think we've had a terrible window compared to Wolves, W.Ham, Leicester, Watford, or Man U.

I don't think we've had a significantly better window than any of them either.

I'm not expecting Everton to be much more or less competitive and I think we've got to look again in the winter transfer window and strengthen in 2/3 positions that could then make the difference.

I'm not delivering anything ground breaking here, but how does anyone else view how our squad is now compared to those around us?
I'm just a little concerned about our cb problem and feel it should have been sorted a while ago I think we put all our eggs in one basket regarding Zouma so didnt address the problem however I'm also hoping that given time yerry and keane may form a good partnership . Happy enough with the window though other than that and still think we could push for top 6

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 09, 2019, 03:14:45 AM
Reply #11

Heisenberg

I donít get the big media hype about top 6. Shouldnít it be top 7? European places

August 09, 2019, 03:16:23 AM
Reply #12

Gary Todd

Need to show ambition, don't just aim for top 6 to maybe 7th, aim for top 4, big ask I know but not impossible
If we had of addressed the cb problem I for one and prob many others would have been more optimistic we could have broken into the top 4

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 09, 2019, 03:54:45 AM
Reply #13

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Still think weíre a way off myself.

Iím just happy we didnít throw all kinds of money about so we can be content with another season of steady progression.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

August 09, 2019, 04:14:20 AM
Reply #14

Shogun

Administrator
Leicester didn’t bother replacing Maguire or buying the winger they were desperate for so they’ve fucked themselves.

We haven’t bought a CB but do still have two £30m ones in the XI.

Wolves have only bought in three new players to what was a small squad. Longer they’re in Europa, the more they’ll struggle.

West Ham have done very well but not many ‘proven’ premier league players now so they’re as likely as we are to do well I think. They could all flop though, because they’re West Ham.

Man United haven’t replaced Lukaku and have a manager that fell off a cliff last season.

Chelsea have a manager who finished 6th in the championship last season (Farke won the league with an inferior Norwich side) and have lost Hazard and David Luiz (rate him or not) whilst their strikers are Batshuayi and Abraham.

5th is up for grabs but generally because I think Chelsea and United are dreadful.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 04:15:52 AM by Shogun »