August 21, 2019, 11:34:59 AM

Author Topic: Centre Backs compared to rivals  (Read 2300 times)

August 09, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
Reply #15

Waltzer

Marco Silva has been pretty candid in his Everton pre-match press conference this morning ahead of tomorrow's game with Crystal Palace, after the missed out on signing a new centre-back in the transfer window.

The Toffees lost Kurt Zouma, who went back to parent club Chelsea, and did approach Manchester United yesterday to negotiate a deal for Marcos Rojo, but couldn't agree a fee for the Argentine.

Silva said: "I will be honest, it's not the best scenario for me as a coach. We have had our targets since the first day, not just one, not just two, more than that, but for many reasons we didn't get them. It is what it is, that's football, it's not the best scenario to start with three central defenders.

"When it happens, it's a good opportunity - we never had any doubt about Yerry Mina when he was fit last season, he was a really important player for us. He's adapted more now, he's in better shape having pre-season with us. But if you'd ask me if I would like to have more competition at centre-back, that is true."

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 09, 2019, 03:21:36 PM
Reply #16

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think if you put them in most other systems/ teams and individually they’d be useless.

I'd agree to be honest but they are in a settled system that they perform well in. Ours might be better but might not suit our system so if we're talking about which side is stronger there..
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 09, 2019, 03:25:42 PM
Reply #17

Macca77

They’re fighting for the positions we are.

Nah, they will do the same as last season, have a decent run but fall away and finish in the bottom half

August 09, 2019, 04:16:23 PM
Reply #18

kerryblue boy

We are as good as most teams in the league squad wise outside of the big four or five

August 09, 2019, 04:30:52 PM
Reply #19

dazfrancis

You have to hope Silva can coach a system into the team that can mitigate and deficiencies that we lack in personnel.

He needs to also coach some discipline and awareness into Holgate and get the lad to beef up a bit. Learning under Martinez and then Koeman hasn't helped him and arguably his best run in the team came under Allardyce when he was playing alongside Williams and we had that streak of clean sheets

August 09, 2019, 04:54:39 PM
Reply #20

ally2

It limits our tactical flexibility if we want to play a back three.

August 09, 2019, 05:03:40 PM
Reply #21

Dr. Sponge

It limits our tactical flexibility if we want to play a back three.
I think we would see Gbamin play that role. Ya dont really need a sitting DCM with a back 3.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

August 09, 2019, 09:57:33 PM
Reply #22

Everton Mint

Big mistake in not getting a CB in, especially when Jags has already gone and at least one CB was crucial.

As soon as Zouma's signing was a doubt (weeks ago) then we should've had our second target sorted.

August 09, 2019, 10:28:44 PM
Reply #23

markB

yes getting one more in would have been nice but only if it was Zouma would it have been a sure thing to workout and there must have been some hope all window of getting him for us not to be set to go on plan b

the worry is the manager never said a word about Lewis Gibson when talking about it in the press today so do we take it that he will not be taking any part of the 1st team squads

August 09, 2019, 10:31:03 PM
Reply #24

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'd agree to be honest but they are in a settled system that they perform well in. Ours might be better but might not suit our system so if we're talking about which side is stronger there..

Oh yeah I get that.

Just countering that with the two we have, if we find a good system then it’s not like they’re complete novices who no one else rates

August 09, 2019, 10:43:20 PM
Reply #25

markB

I think we would see Gbamin play that role. Ya dont really need a sitting DCM with a back 3.

Sent from my SM-G960F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

yeah lets buy a player that has never played in the prem and play him in a position he played a bit of years ago that will go well for him settling in

August 09, 2019, 10:53:55 PM
Reply #26

markB

at a push
https://www.transfermarkt.com/daniel-schwaab/leistungsdaten/spieler/38434/plus/0?saison=2018

brands has to know if it would work for him in the prem even as just back up

August 09, 2019, 10:57:19 PM
Reply #27

Shogun

Administrator
Keane-Mina didn't concede a goal in pre-season together :whistle:
I never claimed to be a saint

August 09, 2019, 11:02:01 PM
Reply #28

dazfrancis

Keane-Mina didn't concede a goal in pre-season together :whistle:

No mate, haven't you heard. This seasons already a write-off.

I don't know why we're even bothering to turn up tomorrow

August 09, 2019, 11:06:14 PM
Reply #29

SANA_DR0

I have faith in Holgate, im sure he will shock some of you naysayers this season.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....